April 13th against the Rays

Crazysilver03

Look, I know it is fun to gang up on the usual suspects and call everyone names, but the truth is that Mora, Markakis, Millar, Huff, Jones, and Ramon are all struggling a bit right now. In addition to that, we've got two powder puffs in LH and Fahey who will never hit much. When that many guys are simultaneously struggling, the team isn't going to score much. I've got no problem with anyone being frustrated in this situation, but just make really sure that the frustration is directed AT ALL the players who are struggling. Don't gang up on the easy targets and conveniently forget the others like Markakis and Jones. Markakis had a terrible at bat in the first inning to make the first out against a rookie pitcher who was trying to get his feet under him.

NOTE: This post wasn't directed at Scott at all. It was just a general post.

This is right. It's a long season, and some folks seem burnt out after a rough patch of 5 measly games... despite the good patch before that. You gotta pace yourself...

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is right. It's a long season, and some folks seem burnt out after a rough patch of 5 measly games... despite the good patch before that. You gotta pace yourself...

I think what some of you need to understand is that game threads in particular are not about long term future thinking. They're a place to discuss the game action as it happens and react on the fly as if you were in a bar discussing it casually with your friends. When you see somebody strike out with the bases loaded, you don't stop and think about the politically correct thing to say, you say "oh, #$$%, that bum, how could he do that?" Nothing's really meant by it, it's just a gut reaction. If the player doesn't hear it, it can't hurt them.

I think what some of you need to understand is that game threads in particular are not about long term future thinking. They're a place to discuss the game action as it happens and react on the fly as if you were in a bar discussing it casually with your friends. When you see somebody strike out with the bases loaded, you don't stop and think about the politically correct thing to say, you say "oh, #$$%, that bum, how could he do that?" Nothing's really meant by it, it's just a gut reaction. If the player doesn't hear it, it can't hurt them.

I agree with all that. But that doesn't mean that only the panic-button angry scapegoat-hunters get to say anything. It's just as OK for the non-panic-button, non-angry, non-scapegoat-hunters to say something too. This whole "we need to vent" thing is OK, I suppose, but it's not the only game in town.

When I was a little kid, our next door neighbor would come over to listen to the games, and he'd freak out about every little thing. My dad would hand him another beer and tell him, "Baseball isn't for sissies" ;-)

I just don't see how some folks make it through a whole baseball season.

Well, it's really simple, as the O's are usually out of it by the All-Star break, and people really get quite numb to it soon thereafter. So, we really only need to make it through about half a season. :P

I just asked a question. That is all I did. Get upset if you want, but I merely asked a question. I believe this post is simply you re-directing the conversation because you don't want to answer the question. I can't really blame you for not wanting to answer it. And you've done so by calling me names for the second straight day. I haven't called you anything.

What you've essentially written in this post is that you can't be expected to be rational at all times. At least you were honest about it.

Have you ever seen me blast a player for swinging at a close pitch for strike three? No. I haven't. I understand that hitting with two strikes is tough and umpires are unpredictable and the last thing you want to do in my mind is get called out on a borderline pitch. I don't mind answering the question at all, I just don't like your tone. You put forth questions like other posters somehow owe it to you to conform to your sensibilities with every single comment. I don't believe I owe you anything. I don't understand why people on here have to pick posts to dissect and take so much joy in "calling people out" for every post they don't like. It completely sucks the enjoyment out of the board.

I agree with all that. But that doesn't mean that only the panic-button angry scapegoat-hunters get to say anything. It's just as OK for the non-panic-button, non-angry, non-scapegoat-hunters to say something too. This whole "we need to vent" thing is OK, I suppose, but it's not the only game in town.

When I was a little kid, our next door neighbor would come over to listen to the games, and he'd freak out about every little thing. My dad would hand him another beer and tell him, "Baseball isn't for sissies" ;-)

I have no problem with Kool-Aid drinking, orange glasses wearing posters. They can post happy stuff all day long. I even join them occasionally. When someone posts something that I find sickeningly sweet and completely false, I just let it lie. I don't tear into them about how wrong I think they are or tell them they "need to be called out" for disagreeing with me. All I'm asking is that people keep it on baseball and not get so into dissecting the other posters.

By the way, I really don't think asking "how could he take that pitch in that situation?" qualifies as "angry scapegoat hunting." It's just an automatic reaction to a play as it occurs. It's not like I sit there and brood about Kevin Millar's poor at bat for the next 20 minutes.

BB, I just asked you a question. I didn't say you owed me an answer. I didn't even say you were wrong. I simply wrote "I hear ya, but what would you have expected him to do with that pitch if he swung". And there was no harsh words or tone in that post. The rest of this is nothing but your anger IMO. You always seem pretty angry to me which is a shame.

I would have also bet money you'd post a reply long after the exchange was over, just like you did yesterday. Getting the last word seems to be a big deal to you.

BTW, to answer your question, I've seen you repeatedly blast players for swinging at pitches that you deemed unworthy. Of course, it seems to depend a lot on the player to me, but maybe my perception is wrong.

I really don't believe you have. If you can find some instances of this I'd really like to see them.

I also think you need to go back and reread your post if you don't think there was any harsh tone.

Look, I know it is fun to gang up on the usual suspects and call everyone names, but the truth is that Mora, Markakis, Millar, Huff, Jones, and Ramon are all struggling a bit right now. In addition to that, we've got two powder puffs in LH and Fahey who will never hit much. When that many guys are simultaneously struggling, the team isn't going to score much. I've got no problem with anyone being frustrated in this situation, but just make really sure that the frustration is directed AT ALL the players who are struggling. Don't gang up on the easy targets and conveniently forget the others like Markakis and Jones. Markakis had a terrible at bat in the first inning to make the first out against a rookie pitcher who was trying to get his feet under him.

NOTE: This post wasn't directed at Scott at all. It was just a general post.

It's cool. And I really shouldn't have ganged up on Quiroz. I'm actually pretty happy with him at backup. But still Fahey and/or LH are just not enough. Even hoping for Bynum's return is still just that... Bynum's return. A good role player, who will be asked to do more than he is capable of.

Sure we still have some real high points, and many of those... struggling. They'll all pick it up. But overal, you can't disagree how pathetic our overall lineup is. Can you?

I mean, I am PSYCHED for the future. Don't get me wrong. A couple of the weak spots (Adam Jones for one...) will certainly get better and better. Just that much of this year... we're really not going to have what we need. Almost all up and down the lineup.

I have no problem with Kool-Aid drinking, orange glasses wearing posters.

Ah, it's the old "Either you freak out and make a huge deal about every little thing, or else you're drinking the Kool-Aid and wearing orange glasses". Gotcha...

IMO, if you like simple either/or stuff, football is the much better game ;-)

Ah, it's the old "Either you freak out and make a huge deal about every little thing, or else you're drinking the Kool-Aid and wearing orange glasses". Gotcha...

IMO, if you like simple either/or stuff, football is the much better game ;-)

No, I was giving you a taste of your own medicine with the name-calling hyperbole. Most posters fall into both categories some of the time and neither most of the time.

Niemann's an interesting fellow. While at Rice, he was 17-0 in his junior season and nearly unhittable. He used to throw 94-96 consistently and could touch 100 MPH to go with a 70 slider and 60 curve on the scouting scale. In other words, he was really, really good, which is why, despite injuries (which have befallen all Rice pitchers) he was still picked 4th overall in the draft. He doesn't throw that hard anymore, but he's still good enough to develop into a very good starter down the line. He only occasionally touches the mid-90s now, but with his height and delivery, his fastball can still be very effective and his knuckle curve is still a very good pitch (as shown today). His slider isn't nearly as good as it used to be, but can still be effective if located properly.

Niemann's certainly not filler as he has a spot in the Rays pitching staff, whether it be as a starter or a reliever, but he's a good enough talent to be a quality arm for years to come.

Archived