Trade Idea...Operation: Sacred Cow

Answerman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rays have 3B Evan Longoria under contract through 2022 with an option in 2023. Big commitment already from a team that keeps payroll low. Would they want another big, long-term contract?
Manny would not be a big long term contract. It's 3 years and a pick.

Rarely do you get a chance to have a player like Manny on your team. You keep him without hesitation. Especially with how terrible our pitching is you need good defenders. Between Machado, Hardy, and Schoop you have one of the best infields in the game. You're gonna need that when your ace is Chris Tillman.

The next 3 or so years is the window. Do what you can.

This isn't a crazy idea if the O's are convinced that they can't keep Manny long-term. I don't think it makes sense for this season given that all of the other offseason moves have been about trying to win this year. But if the team is disappointing in 2016 and it's clear that the team needs to rebuild, there's nobody on the team with more trade value than Manny.

I agree that the Rays might not be able to offer as much as a team like the Dodgers that can afford to sign him long-term and that also have a stocked farm system.

"Team crippling contract?" Manny will earn what the market bears and he will be entering his prime years. The Orioles will be financially fine if he is resigned. If Miami can ink Stanton for 300+ million we can sign Manny.

Well said, PGA needs to get involved next off season to get MM signed long term, 7-10 years.

You completely ignored the reason for why I said they are a bad trade partner.

The other thing I don't like about trading in-division: the double whammy of helping them and hurting us in the short term.

I think trading Manny is the thing to do if the two sides cannot reach an agreement on a contract extension at the end of this season. Let's try to make the playoff push for 2016 with Manny first.

"Team crippling contract?" Manny will earn what the market bears and he will be entering his prime years. The Orioles will be financially fine if he is resigned. If Miami can ink Stanton for 300+ million we can sign Manny.

If anything, players like Manny appear to be the type of players who can actually provide some excess value on their deals. There appears to be sort of a squishy max to the AAV of top deals and a player like Manny who can be a perennial 5/6 WAR player looks like he may actually be a good value over the term of an 8/10 year deal.

How about Machado for Nomar Mazarra, Joey Gallo, and Luis Ortiz? I don't see the Orioles wanting to trade Machado this year or another team offering enough to get him even if the Orioles figure they can't re-sign him in three years. Machado seems like he is poised for a monster year. Why would you trade him now? You have three more years of his service.

How about Machado for Nomar Mazarra, Joey Gallo, and Luis Ortiz? I don't see the Orioles wanting to trade Machado this year or another team offering enough to get him even if the Orioles figure they can't re-sign him in three years. Machado seems like he is poised for a monster year. Why would you trade him now? You have three more years of his service.

I don't think the Orioles would get much less in return if they trade Machado with two years of service. Maybe not even with just one year of service left. Heck, if he plays up to standards you could get a haul trading him as a two month rental.

Archived