April 14th vs The Blue Jays

DREKTUNES

You're taking "stealing" too literally IMO. It's not against the law to steal a base, it's just something you do on the field. I think it's BS to have some sportswriter in the pressbox determine the meaning and significance of play on the field.

I never said anything about against the law. Stealing meaning taking something without permission. By Toronto not covering the base, or just not caring whether or not he takes it, is basically giving him permission to take it.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never said anything about against the law. Stealing meaning taking something without permission. By Toronto not covering the base, or just not caring whether or not he takes it, is basically giving him permission to take it.

It's not like he knew they were giving him permission until they didn't throw down.

Any time it's up to some yokel in the pressbox, then IMO it's a BS rule.

E's are the worst.

So batters are just supposed to be credited with hits when they hit a routine grounder through the shortstop's legs? :confused:

I understand that it's subjective what gets called an error and what doesn't, but it seems like kind of a necessary evil to me.

Toronto had a really good game plan tonight. They really worked the count on Albers and got his pitch count up. Mora made a big time play in the first to prevent a big inning. Albers and Johnson did a great job tonight. If Sherrill's going to give up a homerun, it's better to do it with a 3 run lead. Everybody hit tonight and now they are in first place!

Oh, stop. You mean he asked first, said pretty please, and they said, sure, go ahead? They promised to not throw him out ahead of time? No way. He took a chance on getting thrown out. Not his fault they didn't try.

Dude, I get the rule...although I really don't know if your analogy works. But the scorekeeper should have some discretion in a situation like that. Jones was stealing to get into scoring position, it's not like the Jays were closing out a game with a big lead.

Dude. It doesn't make sense to give someone a stolen base when the other team *allowed* him to take it. It doesn't matter if it was a bad decision by Toronto to allow it. The fact is that they did allow it. He was not challenged at all. That should not be counted as a steal.

Toronto had a really good game plan tonight. They really worked the count on Albers and got his pitch count up. Mora made a big time play in the first to prevent a big inning. Albers and Johnson did a great job tonight. If Sherrill's going to give up a homerun, it's better to do it with a 3 run lead. Everybody hit tonight and now they are in first place!

Now would mean we weren't earlier this year. We have been for a while, although we were tied going into today. Let's give ourselves credit for sole possession of first place as much as we can this year, because I don't think it's going to last long.

Not his fault they didn't try.

You act like not giving Jones the stolen base is a big deal. It's a little stat. But a stat should mean something. There should be a difference between being given a base and taking a base if you are going to put anything into stats.

Who cares? The scoring of the play does not affect the outcome of the game...

The only thing I care about is common sense.

Giving someone a stolen base when the other team gives it to you is like giving someone credit for a triple because they reached 3rd on an infield hit and a bunch of throwing errors.

The only thing I care about is common sense.

Giving someone a stolen base when the other team gives it to you is like giving someone credit for a triple because they reached 3rd on an infield hit and a bunch of throwing errors.

Taking things away because of E's is often BS too... fast GB guys hit into more errors than do slow FB guys, so they help make it happen... IMO, it's BS to pretend they don't.

You think they would've sent Ramon then? The runner contributed, I think it's dumb to pretend he didn't...

I realize I'm in the minority about this, but I think it should be 100% based on what actually happens on the field, not based on what gets decided by some non-baseball person in the press box.

2008 American League East - Standings             W L PCT GB HOME ROAD RS RA STRK L10 Baltimore     8 5 .615 - 6-1 2-4 59 56 Won 1 6-4 Toronto       7 6 .538 1 3-3 4-3 65 49 Lost 1 6-4 Boston        7 6 .538 1 4-2 3-4 55 59 Won 2 5-5 Tampa Bay     6 6 .500 1.5 3-3 3-3 63 49 Won 1 5-5 NY Yankees    6 7 .462 2 4-3 2-4 43 52 Lost 2 4-6 

Archived