Is the D-Rays line up better

baltimorebirds

Making his second big league start, Dallas Braden was charged with five runs and a loss in 4 1/3 innings against the Devil Rays today.

Braden struck out five, but he walked three and gave up six hits. All five runs he surrendered were on homers by B.J. Upton, Elijah Dukes, and Rocco Baldelli. With Rich Harden not ready to begin throwing yet, Braden could at least another start or two. Since he'll face the same Devil Rays that had no problem with his screwball today, he's not a very good option.

WE COULDN'T DO ANYTHING AGAINST THIS GUY!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The DRays have a significantly better lineup... pitching is the reason their team can't put it together. If they could trade guys like Gomes or Baldelli for pitching they'd be a much better team. Honestly, they won't be able to afford Crawford for too much longer and could get a ton for him at the trade deadline. If they learn to trade their surplus of young position guys for young pitching guys, it might be the Jays and the O's competing for 4th (or dare I say the Jays and the Yanks).

The DRays have a significantly better lineup... pitching is the reason their team can't put it together. If they could trade guys like Gomes or Baldelli for pitching they'd be a much better team. Honestly, they won't be able to afford Crawford for too much longer and could get a ton for him at the trade deadline. If they learn to trade their surplus of young position guys for young pitching guys, it might be the Jays and the O's competing for 4th (or dare I say the Jays and the Yanks).

Crawford is signed through 2010 at a very reasonable salary for them.

2007: $4M

2008: $5.25M

2009: $8.25M club option ($2.5M buyout)

2010: $10M club option ($1.25M buyout) (2010 salary may increase to $11.5M with incentives)

At worse, they will hold onto him through the middle of 2008 season.

True, but don't sell the Jays short on that front. With Kazmir, Shields, some good minor league pitching, and the first pick in the draft (David Price), they could match our young pitching within 1 or 2 years.

And with hitters coming through the system and MASN money to spend on free agents, plus STILL having more pitching then the Rays, we could easily surpass their hitting within one or two years.

Lets look at it this way:

LF Crawford vs. Payton = Crawford

CF Dukes vs. Patterson = Dukes

RF Young vs. Markakis = Young

C Navarro vs. Hernandez = Hernandez

1B Pena vs. Huff = Huff

2B Upton vs. Roberts = PUSH

SS Harris vs. Tejada = Tejada

3B Wigginton vs. Mora = PUSH

DH Baldelli vs. Millar = Baldelli

BN Paul vs. Bako = Paul

BN Zorbist vs. Gomez = PUSH

BN Gomes vs. Gibbons = Gomes

BN Cantu vs. Bynum = Cantu

So the Devil Rays have the better bench and better outfield, with the Orioles having the better infield.

But this is just on offense, their defense is stellar as well.

And with hitters coming through the system and MASN money to spend on free agents, plus STILL having more pitching then the Rays, we could easily surpass their hitting within one or two years.

No offense, but this kind of made me laugh. Hitters coming through the system, hahaha.

All of our "stars" are injured or not producing. The line-up you see today is the line-up you will probably see on Opening Day 2008. Even with FA, I doubt we match the Rays line-up because their line-up is young and will keep improving.

The Rays have some good pitching at AA and A+, just like we do, but theirs is more polished and could hit the majors come August.

You might want to take a look at Upton vs Roberts again. Upton is flat out mashing the ball. He'll have a good year and he's got a great future ahead of him.

I figured Upton was better. It was just hard to place him since he is usually the 3B. Either way, he is amazing.

I realize that Delmon Young is a super prospect, but I don't think I give him the edge over Markakis at this point.

The only reason I gave Young the edge was because in all the prospect circles last year people were giving the edge to Young. I think there is a good probability that Young develops better than Markakis. Just being objective. Markakis will be our best OF, but Young will be better than him most likely.

Easily?

The Devil Rays are so far ahead of everyone else in the Young Talent department it's not even funny. They just graduated Delmon Young and Elijah Dukes and right on their heels are Reid Brignac and Evan Longoria. Add that to BJ Upton(do people realize Upton is still only 22?), Rocco Baldelli, Carl Crawford, and Dioner Navarro and you've got what could be a sick lineup real soon.

We'd be hard pressed to even come close, and that's with rosy predictions for Rowell and Reimold.

Easily?

The Devil Rays are so far ahead of everyone else in the Young Talent department it's not even funny. They just graduated Delmon Young and Elijah Dukes and right on their heels are Reid Brignac and Evan Longoria. Add that to BJ Upton(do people realize Upton is still only 22?), Rocco Baldelli, Carl Crawford, and Dioner Navarro and you've got what could be a sick lineup real soon.

We'd be hard pressed to even come close, and that's with rosy predictions for Rowell and Reimold.

100% correct IMO. We seem to overvalue our own, when we don't have much talent that anyone values as much as what the Drays have. They also have a lot of pitching talent coming up the pipe. Their farm system completely shames ours...and it ain't even close.

Archived