Is the D-Rays line up better

baltimorebirds

I believe we are really just one player away. Tejada is a #3 hitter, not #4. Markakis isn't much of any kind of hitter lately but too me is more suited for the #2 slot. Patterson should be batting 9th ahead of BRob so we have the option to double steal when they get on back-to-back. So that one player we need, is a TRUE #4 cleanup hitter. Whether that's an OF or a 1b or DH, doesn't matter. Huff sharing the 5th and 6th slot with Hernandez depending on whether a LH is throwing or not. As bad as we're playing lately we're still in the thick of it, if we can hang in there long enough, perhaps we can pick up that true #4 we need in July.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe we are really just one player away.

If that player was an in-his-prime Ruth or Bonds, I'd agree. This team is a 75-81 win team, or thereabouts. It takes 90-some wins to get the wildcard.

Optimistically, a 12-win player would push this team over the top if added to a position where the O's have a giant, gaping hole.

Examples of (roughly) 12-win players:

- Cal Ripken in the mid-80s.

- Brady Anderson in '92, when he had 28 doubles, 10 triples, 21 homers, 98 walks, 53 steals, and played great defense.

- Brooks at his very best

- 1996 Roberto Alomar

The problem is, the O's don't have a giant, gaping hole. They have a lot of 3, 4, 5-win players. If they added 1992 Brady Anderson and dumped Payton they'd only gain about eight or nine wins. If they added Brooks at his peak he'd only be 7-8 wins better than Melvin Mora.

That's the hidden problem with the O's - they have nonembarassing players everywhere, so no one player is going to make a season-changing difference. By fielding a team of nine ok players they've both made the team rather expensive and more difficult to upgrade.

If they'd not signed Huff and Payton and Gibbons and Millar and Mora, but instead picked up a big star or two while filling in the rest with scrubs the team would have almost the same performance. But it would also have much more obvious upgrade paths and a higher ceiling.

I believe we are really just one player away. Tejada is a #3 hitter, not #4. Markakis isn't much of any kind of hitter lately but too me is more suited for the #2 slot. Patterson should be batting 9th ahead of BRob so we have the option to double steal when they get on back-to-back. So that one player we need, is a TRUE #4 cleanup hitter. Whether that's an OF or a 1b or DH, doesn't matter. Huff sharing the 5th and 6th slot with Hernandez depending on whether a LH is throwing or not. As bad as we're playing lately we're still in the thick of it, if we can hang in there long enough, perhaps we can pick up that true #4 we need in July.

Wow...just wow! :eek::rolleyes:

Amazed anybody could think this!

What Drungo said.

The problem is, other than Gibbons (who isn't really a "starter" anymore, at least I hope not), the Orioles don't have a single player that we can point at and say "this HAS to be upgraded -- this guy is KILLING us!" Instead, we have a bunch of guys who would be nice pieces for competitive teams to pick up. Corey Patterson would be nice for a team that needed a late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner. Melvin Mora would be a great stick off the bench and/or occasional platoon starter. Same thing with Millar and Huff.

So, instead of focusing our efforts on upgrade one or two pressing needs, we are sort of stuck in a no-man's land -- a bunch of players that are good enough to warrant keeping around, but are by no means good enough to take us to the next level.

This, friends, is why rebuilding will take so long. Unless we plan on upgrading 4-5 positions (at a minimum) in a single off-season.

So if we had signed Delgado, you think we would be competing?

What Drungo said.

The problem is, other than Gibbons (who isn't really a "starter" anymore, at least I hope not), the Orioles don't have a single player that we can point at and say "this HAS to be upgraded -- this guy is KILLING us!" Instead, we have a bunch of guys who would be nice pieces for competitive teams to pick up. Corey Patterson would be nice for a team that needed a late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner. Melvin Mora would be a great stick off the bench and/or occasional platoon starter. Same thing with Millar and Huff.

So, instead of focusing our efforts on upgrade one or two pressing needs, we are sort of stuck in a no-man's land -- a bunch of players that are good enough to warrant keeping around, but are by no means good enough to take us to the next level.

This, friends, is why rebuilding will take so long. Unless we plan on upgrading 4-5 positions (at a minimum) in a single off-season.

It's almost like the FO just wanted a bunch of placeholders to "hold down the fort" until a wave of young talent came along. The only problem with that is, we don't have that wave coming. There a few, but not enough. The offense needs upgrades at quite a few positions to become competitive.

I know the contracts are out of control and all that but this team needs to spend more money on improving the offense and that is a fact. Huff isn't a bad option at 1B if you've got someone like Vlad Guerrero or Manny Ramirez in the OF. But to get Huff alone and call it a day... wow.

So if we had signed Delgado, you think we would be competing?

In general, yes, but with qualifiers. As I had told Frobby before the season started, I believe this team will HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY to win the game they are playing 70-80% of the time. I think so far this season that is holding true. So what's the difference between winning those games and losing them? For us, (aside from Ray throwing up two beaner ball grand slams) it is not getting the clutch hits when we needed them. So, if you could put a Hafner / Delgado type in the #4 spot, I think that changes the equation enough of the time to keep us in contention for a Wildcard spot. Other than the Twins series, I haven't seen us dominated by any team we have faced.

There we go!

:) It wasn't I who submitted Delgado's name as a TRUE #4 hitter, but I will take fault in going along with it...

Originally Posted by Sports Guy

So if we had signed Delgado, you think we would be competing?[/Quote]

It is amazing how much trouble this organization really is in and it is also amazing how the current regime actually believes this organization is in good shape.

Do they really think we can contend over the next few years?

Loewen, Bedard and DCab better all be sub 4 ERA pitchers who go 180+ innings for us to even have a chance.

Archived