Gausman Starting Season on DL? And the Impact to the Opening Day Roster

Beef Supreme

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they go with Wilson it could be an indication that Gausman will be out awhile. If it is only 1-2 starts I think Worley makes sense. The other starters like Gonzo aren't going to lose their jobs 2 starts in. If it is Wilson that means Roe is gone.

You must know something about Worley that I don't. I think the O's will be evaluating Worley over the next 11 games to see if they spend 2.6m on him this year. He hasn't shown much that I am aware of.

I don't agree with your post. Wilson has shown enough this spring that Buck declared the rookie in the starting rotation competition. He has pitched well so far this spring and he pitched well last year at AAA and with the O's. He has options and can make as many starts are needed before Gausman returns. Then he can 1) be optioned back to AAA, 2) go to the pen to replace someone else 3) stay in the rotation while someone else is replaced.

As far as Roe goes he is on the bubble. He had a very bad 2nd half last year. His pitching is marginal the spring. More hits than innings pitched and a high WHIP. He has 11 games to turn that around and make the O's want to keep him. His advantage is that he is cheap.

Yeah.. still, must have some pretty good OBP prospects over there in Charlotte! Just spitting on pitches from a 9-year veteran like it ain't no thing.

His command was initially very bad and it was very windy. He then settled in.

You must know something about Worley that I don't. I think the O's will be evaluating Worley over the next 11 games to see if they spend 2.6m on him this year. He hasn't shown much that I am aware of.

Both Gonzalez and Worley are safe with the injuries. I think you over evaluate Gonzalez and under evaluate Worley. Some of the guys I talk to think so too.

Kevin Gausman said that he expects to rejoin the club for the first or second week of the regular season. Starting on the DL has to help the chances of certain players making the trip north for Opening Day. Possibly Worley can both breath a little easier now? At least for a week or two. By then, with rosters set, it may be easier for the Orioles to keep him.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Buck sounded confident Gausman will be ready for opening day. Otherwise would have to DL him cause need 5th starter March 10 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Buck says he'll be ready.

Roch talked with Gallardo

It went well," Gallardo said this morning. "It's feeling better. Getting more ground balls, which is a good sign. It means keeping the ball down in the zone. And I was able to work on some things. I was good all around."

Gallardo had to supply his own intensity. It wasn't churning from the opposition in an intimate setting at Twin Lakes Park.

"Sometimes, it can be (difficult)," said Gallardo, who's allowed eight runs and eight hits in 4 1/3 innings in two Grapefruit League starts against the Phillies. "Yesterday wasn't a good day to begin with. It was a little bit colder than normal and the wind was pretty bad, but the most important thing is, no matter where you're throwing, you've still got to go out there and make pitches and get your work in. Overall, it was a good day.

"It was different. It's the one day that's been different this whole spring, but that's how baseball is. No matter what the situation is, you've still got to go out there and perform."

www.masnsports.com

yep 4 innings, 6 hits, 3 BB's, and only one K against A league guys

and folks will still say it is only ST and he is working on stuff

look at the lines of any established front line starter and they are generally dominating in ST

Kershaw, Greinke, Arrieta, take a look at Mike Leake who I thought should have been

the O's number 1 target.

Instead we fluhed 22 million dollars down the toilet on an injured (not good to begin with)

Gallardo

Tied up 168 million on a 1B who is as likely to hit .210 as he is to hit .260

threw away 7 million on a minor leaguer from Korea

gave 32 million to a 32 yo reliever, just in time to capture his full decline

Could have had a really good roster for the money spent, instead we've got the 2015 Phillies

Wow. You are really doom and gloom today.

Hey I know you are being sarcastic, and I know I'm too negative, but I'm not feeling very hopeful, and my frustration boils over especially in light of the folks that never find a reason

to doubt any of the long list of dubious DD decisions.

It's just I don't feel like bashing DD is the best thing to do. He makes mistakes

sure. He's human. You seem to want a GM that's is 100% accurate on getting

players for the O's. Every human makes mistakes. The man you want to run the

O's doesn't exist. Everyone has flaws. IMO

Both Gonzalez and Worley are safe with the injuries. I think you over evaluate Gonzalez and under evaluate Worley. Some of the guys I talk to think so too.

I haven't heard a word from the O's about Gonzalez not being in the rotation. If that is an over evaluating so be it. He has been a key part of the O's two playoff runs in the last 4 years. Saber guys hate him. He is not a perfect pitcher and needs rest at times during the season. When the day comes that the O's have 5 or 6 starters that are better than him he will be pushed out of the rotation. So far that day has not come.

Worley is a waiver claim. He has said in interviews that the knows he has to perform well every spring, this one included to earn a spot on the team. I have heard no one that is impressed with his pitching this spring.

Worley's line is 9.1 IP, 13H, 6.75 ERA. 1.50 WHIP and batters are hitting .342 against him. Not very impressive for a guy that admits he needs a good spring to stick. He has 11 games to show something that makes the O's keep him and his 2.6m salary.

I fully expect that Dan will add at least one pitcher that can start before opening day. It will be a depth signing in all likelihood.

Definitely a possibility. I don't know how you walk Single A guys. Whenever a veteran guy has to pitch against low minor league guys, they always talk about how those guys are just hacking constantly. To walk 3 of them seems like you have to really be incredibly off.

I'm a Gallardo guy, so I hope I'm wrong and he gets it together. I'm in worried mode between this and the Gausman thing.

I'm not in panic mode over Gallardo. Remember, he started ST a little late and he's basically a start behind the other starters (except Tillman, who also started late). He's got two more outings before we break camp, so let's see how those go.

I am somewhat frustrated that three of our presumptive starting five (Gallardo, Tillman and now Gausman) have missed time this spring. We're certainly not going to be at peak heading into the season.

Archived