Gausman Starting Season on DL? And the Impact to the Opening Day Roster

Beef Supreme

Who would have known starting pitching mattered?? Poor O's, just bad luck and no budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the sarcasm here lol. Who would have known we had such a large budget this offseason, yet our pitching would look worse than the prior year (as of this moment). I'm just imagining a tiny oriole bird in a brown paper bag...it's gonna have to mash (HR) it's way out of there

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not in panic mode over Gallardo. Remember, he started ST a little late and he's basically a start behind the other starters (except Tillman, who also started late). He's got two more outings before we break camp, so let's see how those go.

I am somewhat frustrated that three of our presumptive starting five (Gallardo, Tillman and now Gausman) have missed time this spring. We're certainly not going to be at peak heading into the season.

True dat and the "vocal minority" is already at "pique"! :eektf:

I'm not in panic mode over Gallardo. Remember, he started ST a little late and he's basically a start behind the other starters (except Tillman, who also started late). He's got two more outings before we break camp, so let's see how those go.

Last year in Spring Training Gallardo gave up 15 runs and 6 walks in 13.1 innings. I'm also not panicked yet.

It's just I don't feel like bashing DD is the best thing to do. He makes mistakes

sure. He's human. You seem to want a GM that's is 100% accurate on getting

players for the O's. Every human makes mistakes. The man you want to run the

O's doesn't exist. Everyone has flaws. IMO

Dan will be gone after 2018 and then everyone can cheer for the work of the new GM.

I am somewhat frustrated that three of our presumptive starting five (Gallardo, Tillman and now Gausman) have missed time this spring. We're certainly not going to be at peak heading into the season.

I don't think Gallardo was a good signing really. He has been in a bit of a decline. His K/9 declined three years in a row, his H/9 increased three years in a row and averaged 5.2 innings per start last season. Plus, he

partially failed his physical due to shoulder issues and made his third year a team option as a result. He had a career high 1.42 WHIP last season as well despite the ERA.

He struggled with his command and high pitch counts last year. In his last 18 starts of the season, Gallardo did not pitch more than six innings a single time and he only went six three times. He failed to get through five

innings four times and failed to record an out in the fifth in two of those games and couldn't get through the sixth 11 times and failed to record an out in the fifth four of those times and that's only if he went out for the

sixth at all. On top of that, there are concerns about his shoulder. I am not all that optimistic about him TBH. The Orioles rotation at peak is probably still among the worst in the AL unless some major surprises come to

pass this season.

I don't think Gallardo was a good signing really. He has been in a bit of a decline. His K/9 declined three years in a row, his H/9 increased three years in a row and averaged 5.2 innings per start last season. Plus, he

partially failed his physical due to shoulder issues and made his third year a team option as a result. He had a career high 1.42 WHIP last season as well despite the ERA.

He struggled with his command and high pitch counts last year. In his last 18 starts of the season, Gallardo did not pitch more than six innings a single time and he only went six three times. He failed to get through five

innings four times and failed to record an out in the fifth in two of those games and couldn't get through the sixth 11 times and failed to record an out in the fifth four of those times and that's only if he went out for the

sixth at all. On top of that, there are concerns about his shoulder. I am not all that optimistic about him TBH. The Orioles rotation at peak is probably still among the worst in the AL unless some major surprises come to

pass this season.

There are plenty of reasons to wonder how Gallardo will do this year. All the reasons you gave, plus the shoulder issues identified during his physical, and an underwhelming spring so far. At the same time, he's a guy who posts up (30+ starts 7 years in a row), his ERA's have generally been good, and his ground ball tendencies may play well with our outstanding infield defense. I've got a completely open mind about how he'll do. It's just that his three spring starts aren't a big factor in the analysis.

Sometimes I exaggerate the doom when I'm feeling worried as a coping mechanism... lol. Otherwise, I'm pretty much an O's apologist.

The pitching worries me greatly. Every single spring it seems like the majority of our starters are behind for various reasons. It'd be nice if they just got it the hell together for once. When you're going into the season thinking "at least we have Ubaldo", something is terribly awry.

They can't get it together because they aren't very good. It's been the huge org failure of the last ~20 years. I like the offense, defense, and bullpen. Shame the rotation looks so bad. Prayers for Gausman, Bundy and Harvey, I guess.

Archived