Orioles interested in Shields?

paulcoates

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm less concerned about the money and more concerned about what it would take to get him.

He is free. He costs nothing if you take on all the salary. It is the worst contract in all of baseball. Now, this opt out? He would never consider it. He is not a 28 million dollar pitcher. The Padres got the cheap year of the contract already. He is an albatross of a contract.

I would welcome it with open arms. I will no longer concern myself with what the Orioles spend. It's their money, not mine. If they're going to throw $161 million at Chris Davis, they'd better do what it takes to have some pitching the next few years while there is some chance he might be worth the contract (and while Adam and Manny are still around). They've got a 3-year window. They'd better take advantage of it. Shields has pitched 200-plus innings nine years in a row and has had an ERA in the 3's or less five years in a row. He was excellent for the Royals in 2013-14. And he just turned 34 in December, so he's not ancient. No reason he can't have three more good years in him.

Horrible, Awful contract. Might be an ok pitcher for a year or so if you can get enough money offset.

He is free. He costs nothing if you take on all the salsry. It is the worst contract in all of baseball. Now, this opt out? He would never consider it. He is not a 28 million dollar pitcher. The Padres got the cheap year of the contract already. He is an albatross of a contract.

His contract is worse than the Josh Hamilton contract? I would say his contract is not in the top 10 worst contracts in baseball. He is actually producing.

His contract is worse than the Josh Hamilton contract? I would say his contract is not in the top 10 worst contracts in baseball. He is actually producing.

Texas is on the hook for a very smal portion of that deal. But sure, Hamilton was much worse for the Angels. And they cut and ran.

Pros:

- thrown over 200 innings in nine straight seasons, durability

- won double digit games in nine straight seasons

- has eight years of experience in the AL and is familiar with the hitters

- has posted ERAs of 3.52 or less in four of the last five seasons and under four in all five seasons

- career K/9: 7.8 - BB/9: 2.3 - WHIP: 1.23 - ERA: 3.74 , stats inflated a bit due to one really bad season and one bad season in '09 and '10

- he will automatically be better than every starter we have

- has a "swing and miss" arsenal of pitches including a now elite curveball

- has led the league in games started the last three years

- K/9 of 9.6 last season, a career high

Cons:

- that contract, ouch

- tied his career high for HR/9 last season with 1.5 and allowed 33 home runs last season which was the most since he gave up 34 of them 2010

- finished last season with a 1.33 WHIP which is second highest for his career and the highest since 2010

- finished last season with a 3.6 BB/9 which is head and shoulders above his previous career high of 2.7 in 2013 / 81 walks in 202.1 innings and had never walked more than 68 prior to that (2013)

My personal opinion? I think it should be explored at least. Shields would be a nice piece, but it's gonna cost us one way or the other. What choice do we have at this point? We need rotation help BADLY and are

looking at a small window to basically crap or get off the pot before Machado and Jones hit free agency at the same time in three years and no farm system to speak of. If we're serious about doing something this

year, why not? What do we have to lose? Money? Based on our wild spending this offseason, we can't care that much about losing money. Shields and possibly Lincecum should be on the radar. It is frustrating that

we have dug ourselves into this hole we're in, but it's either we take emergency measures to improve the rotation with a real TOR starter (not a true #1, but close enough) or we just settle for spending a lot of money

to be mediocre and miss the playoffs. I am willing to give Shields a pass on last season considering it was his first year in the NL and maybe he wasn't too comfortable there. What to do? We need pitching if we want

to accomplish anything this season and the clock is ticking.

I could totally see the Phillies making this move a few years ago.

Yep. And everytime I hear someone speculate how much better off we'd have been if we had only doled out a 150M contract to a FA pitcher, I think about he Phillies. We are leveraged now to a larger degree than ever before, but i wouldn't quite consider us OVER leveraged (or the Phillies). A panic move for a crap contract like Shields would be way too much financial risk.

Horrible, Awful contract. Might be an ok pitcher for a year or so if you can get enough money offset.

I don't care. Like I said, I'm not going to worry about the Orioles' money. They spent $161 million on Chris Davis -- bidding against themselves -- rather than addressing more pressing needs and they're going to regret that contract. They'd better do what it takes to improve the starting pitching while Davis is still productive. Shields is still a good pitcher. You really have no way of knowing that he will only be "ok" for a year or so. You're just guessing. He might be a solid pitcher for all three years of his contract. If he's not, all they're out is money and, as I said, I no longer worry about that.

Yep. And everytime I hear someone speculate how much better off we'd have been if we had only doled out a 150M contract to a FA pitcher, I think about he Phillies. We are leveraged now to a larger degree than ever before, but i wouldn't quite consider us OVER leveraged (or the Phillies). A panic move for a crap contract like Shields would be way too much financial risk.

The Davis contract was way more of a panic move and is a worse contract than Shields' is IMO. At least Shields is a #1 type starter and we NEED starting pitching or this is going to potentially be a very embarrassing

season for the Orioles. We were willing to spend 30M on Fowler and it fell through, so if we're willing to bump the payroll up around 150M or more, let's do it now; Shields and Lincecum should be explored. If it doesn't

work out, then we rebuild which we will have to do anyway eventually. I think we have to go all in at this point with the pitching. It is a dire situation and not a panic move. Panic moves are what got us to this point

where we have to consider these things.

Also with Shields, he isn't a flame thrower. He is a finesse / movement / control pitcher and with guys like that, I am less concerned with their age. Guys who rely on throwing heat elicit more concern as they age.

Archived