Orioles interested in Shields?

paulcoates

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Davis contract was way more of a panic move and is a worse contract than Shields' is IMO. At least Shields is a #1 type starter and we NEED starting pitching or this is going to potentially be a very embarrassing

season for the Orioles. We were willing to spend 30M on Fowler and it fell through, so if we're willing to bump the payroll up around 150M or more, let's do it now; Shields and Lincecum should be explored. If it doesn't

work out, then we rebuild which we will have to do anyway eventually. I think we have to go all in at this point with the pitching. It is a dire situation and not a panic move. Panic moves are what got us to this point

where we have to consider these things.

Also with Shields, he isn't a flame thrower. He is a finesse / movement / control pitcher and with guys like that, I am less concerned with their age. Guys who rely on throwing heat elicit more concern as they age.

Shields is not a "number one type pitcher" as you say. He is in his age 35 season with some serious mileage on his arm. He's also due at least 65 million over the next 3 years. He is quite possibly a year (or less) away from being the next CC Sabathia, Mike Hampton, Barry Zito or (insert overpaid FA pitcher). This is not a risk that we can afford to take.

With our offense, you don't need the '90's Atlanta Braves rotation. We just need serviceable. Tillman, ubaldo, gallardo and hopefully Gausman will get us that.

He is free. He costs nothing if you take on all the salary. It is the worst contract in all of baseball. Now, this opt out? He would never consider it. He is not a 28 million dollar pitcher. The Padres got the cheap year of the contract already. He is an albatross of a contract.

Hyperbole. But I know you love Ellsbury and Sandoval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shields is not a "number one type pitcher" as you say. He is in his age 35 season with some serious mileage on his arm. He's also due at least 65 million over the next 3 years. He is quite possibly a year (or less) away from being the next CC Sabathia, Mike Hampton, Barry Zito or (insert overpaid FA pitcher). This is not a risk that we can afford to take.

With our offense, you don't need the '90's Atlanta Braves rotation. We just need serviceable. Tillman, ubaldo, gallardo and hopefully Gausman will get us that.

We might not have to pay for his entire contract and if pitches like his usual self, he is close to a number one though not top of the line. He gets a lot of strikeouts, swings and misses, wins games, pitches a lot of innings

helping to save the bullpen and is durable and fairly consistent.

Zito's decline was not ordinary as it was very sudden and before his age 30 season. Besides, judging by the three years leading up to signing with the Giants, it was a bad move from day one as his numbers did not

warrant such a huge contract. Even if he didn't decline like he did, it was still a bad deal. Sabathia relies on throwing heat and lost his ability when it went away. Hampton, perhaps, but realistically in baseball, everyone

is potentially one year away from a career ending event. There is no way we're going anywhere with this rotation barring a miracle. They can barely stay healthy themselves and they aren't even flirting with their age 30

season yet. Besides, if anything turned out to be wrong with Shields, I'm sure our physical would sniff it out. I'm not saying his contract isn't a bad one, but the Pads would likely cover some of it depending on what we

gave them. I wouldn't take all of his contract, either. The opt out is the only thing that bothers me at that point, but would Shields do that realistically?

So, should we wait until next year and watch all the good pitchers go off the market so we can go barrel scraping again for a guy no one else wants again? We've sold most of the farm away, we spent a ton of money

this offseason for practically no improvement and we have perhaps the worst rotation in the league and we should just be satisfied with this? The Orioles should have used the money they spent this year more wisely and

because we didn't, we're in this situation now where we have to consider doing things we shouldn't be having to consider if we made better decisions in the first place. We need major starting pitching upgrades.

Also, this is Shields' age 34 season. Why not this risk? Chris Davis is far more of a risk than Shields and so was Gallardo who we know has a shoulder that is falling apart and signed him anyway. We don't need the 90's

Braves rotation, but we need something better than a rotation of #3, #4, #5 or worse starters constantly flirting with ineffectiveness and injuries. Gausman may emerge as more this season if his shoulder stays healthy

and Wilson might as well. We also have an offense that may break the strikeout record the team set last season of 1,331 and a whole lot of low average, streaky hitters that strike out way too much and don't get on

base enough. You think this offense is going to hold up this rotation if they get results like they did last season? This isn't an elite offense we have; it's all or nothing with no discipline, very little on base ability and a

lot of solo home runs.

I think more than James Shields we need a Shields Giveaway Night. Free shields given away to anyone sitting in outfield sections, to protect against all the home runs being hit by the Orioles...and their opponents.

Shields! :rofl:

I think more than James Shields we need a Shields Giveaway Night. Free shields given away to anyone sitting in outfield sections, to protect against all the home runs being hit by the Orioles...and their opponents.

Ha! Shields up, Captain!

Worse contracts:

1) Josh Hamilton

2) Albert Pujols

3) Victor Martinez

4) Matt Kemp

5) Hanley Ramirez

6) Jacoby Ellsbury

7) CC Sabitha

8) Ryan Howard

9) Matt Cain

10) Chris Davis

I completely disagree.

Kemp, Cain, Sabathia, Martinez, Howard are all done soon. And Hamilton's current club has a very reasonable deal. I'll give you Hanley and Pujols. And you forgot Braun. So we will agree on top four.

The organization wants to win now. I think Shields could be good this year (his k/9 was excellent last year, for example), but of course he's likely to be a huge albatross sooner than later. I could see the Orioles going for it.

Unclaimed.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">James Shields passed through waivers unclaimed in the midst of last season; he's owed $65 million for the next three seasons.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">March 26, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Roch Kubatko www.masnsports.com

The Orioles and Padres have resumed discussions centering on pitcher James Shields, as MLB Network's Jon Heyman tweeted yesterday. This dance has been happening for much of the offseason. React accordingly.

The Orioles obviously have concerns about their rotation and remain open to any potential upgrades, but they're not taking on a bad contract or surrendering their top prospects.

Worse contracts:

1) Josh Hamilton

2) Albert Pujols

3) Victor Martinez

4) Matt Kemp

5) Hanley Ramirez

6) Jacoby Ellsbury

7) CC Sabitha

8) Ryan Howard

9) Matt Cain

10) Chris Davis

I can understand not being a huge fan of the Davis deal, but putting it among the worst contracts in baseball currently seems a bit silly to me when he hasn't played a single game under it. I think you ranked the Howard contract too low, by the way.

Archived