Jack Cust, back to the bigs!

markdublya

Too bad sales to the intentionally derisive and the ignorant (mostly willful) aren't restricted.

Please stop spewing your "misinformation fueled" hostility.

I sound derisive because I am. It is the height of arrogance to use numbers to justify the ability to usefully predict the future of human activity. Many, many people have used billions and billions of dollars and an untold number of Cray Supercomputers engaged in sophisticated equations and various offshoots of Chaos Theory to try to predict the future. Imagine the incredible savings in energy, time, resources and money if Wal-Mart could predict how many batteries will be sold in Tampa, Florida Store #23123 each hour. Imagine how much money could be made if such theories could predict stock market prices, the outcome of a war between Greece and Turkey or any other human endeavor.

Bill James and others have provided a great, possibly revolutionary, impact on baseball. It is great and often enlightening to use numbers to examine the past. They provide a unique look into past performance. But too often, I see those same numbers being used to justify future claims of success or failure. You, nor anyone else, can do that.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sound derisive because I am. It is the height of arrogance to use numbers to justify the ability to usefully predict the future of human activity. Many, many people have used billions and billions of dollars and an untold number of Cray Supercomputers engaged in sophisticated equations and various offshoots of Chaos Theory to try to predict the future. Imagine the incredible savings in energy, time, resources and money if Wal-Mart could predict how many batteries will be sold in Tampa, Florida Store #23123 each hour. Imagine how much money could be made if such theories could predict stock market prices, the outcome of a war between Greece and Turkey or any other human endeavor.

Bill James and others have provided a great, possibly revolutionary, impact on baseball. It is great and often enlightening to use numbers to examine the past. They provide a unique look into past performance. But too often, I see those same numbers being used to justify future claims of success or failure. You, nor anyone else, can do that.

No one tries to use stats to "predict the future." We use them to get a general idea of what could likely happen given a lot of evidence. And that's as good as "predicting the future" is gonna get in this case.

What you're saying is that we should all basically stop discussing the possibilities of the future because there's no way to truly know it. I don't know why, but you turned a thread almost completely supporting the one player you seem to care about at all into a pointless rant that has nothing to do with Jack Cust.

No one tries to use stats to "predict the future." We use them to get a general idea of what could likely happen given a lot of evidence. And that's as good as "predicting the future" is gonna get in this case.

What you're saying is that we should all basically stop discussing the possibilities of the future because there's no way to truly know it. I don't know why, but you turned a thread almost completely supporting the one player you seem to care about at all into a pointless rant that has nothing to do with Jack Cust.

I humbly disagree about no one using stats to predict the future. I see it here all the time.

I am not saying we should not use stats to discuss the future. I am saying we should label them for what they are……….guesses.

Did not mean to sound like a rant. I do not understand why it is called a rant if a disagree. I am trying to say that for many people like me, baseball is not about stats. Baseball is about the human emotions involved in competition. For me, this is what Jack Cust is all about. An endless journey with many, many disappointments that could still lead to success.

I humbly disagree about no one using stats to predict the future. I see it here all the time.

I am not saying we should not use stats to discuss the future. I am saying we should label them for what they are……….guesses.

Did not mean to sound like a rant. I do not understand why it is called a rant if a disagree. I am trying to say that for many people like me, baseball is not about stats. Baseball is about the human emotions involved in competition. For me, this is what Jack Cust is all about. An endless journey with many, many disappointments that could still lead to success.

Stick to lavish hyperbole about Jack Cust, you're not nearly as fun when you actually try to talk about baseball.

Archived