Blue Jays release Frank Thomas

ChaosLex

Unless we sign him (I doubt he's done, but I still don't want a retread, simply because it goes against the current direction) it's more suited here, anyways.

As I said there, I think the Yankees might be all over him, even with their Posada problem "solved" with him at first. They can shuffle those two between first and DH.

Unless we sign him (I doubt he's done, but I still don't want a retread, simply because it goes against the current direction) it's more suited here, anyways.

As I said there, I think the Yankees might be all over him, even with their Posada problem "solved" with him at first. They can shuffle those two between first and DH.

i don't see the yanks picking him up with both posada and giambi. the mariners though...they may have just won the lottery

He mouthed off about being benched, basically. Riccardi said "homey don't play that."

Riccardi is an idiot. The Blue Jays were being cheap with him and benching him just so he wouldn't activate the option for next year. He's still a very good hitter and should not have been benched extensively for Matt Stairs. Hope he lands somewhere he can DH everyday (how bout 'here?).

Riccardi is an idiot. The Blue Jays were being cheap with him and benching him just so he wouldn't activate the option for next year. He's still a very good hitter and should not have been benched extensively for Matt Stairs. Hope he lands somewhere he can DH everyday (how bout 'here?).

Well, if he reaaaaaaaaally didn't want to pay him that option, well, that's a good way of going about it. In the sense that it makes Thomas look like the malcontent he was accused of being when he left Chicago.

I don't particularly want him coming to the team. Yeah he can hit, but not well enough to make the team a contender, and then he just becomes another aging vet that clogs up our 25-man.

I understand the aging vet part, but he could help this team.

1) He would be making the minimum with the Orioles.

2) We dont have any position prospects would be challenging him for a spot.

3) If he can play well for 2-3 months, he could possibly be spun for a prospect at the deadline. Hopefully by then, maybe a positional prospect might make an impact.

4) Also, Thomas should be able to play 1B since he wont be playing on turf.

I'd rather have him for the year than Huff. I don't see any real risk in signing him, maybe except a few million dollars going in the toilet.

Well it wouldnt be our money, since we could get him for the minimum. But he might want a team to sign him with a guaranteed 2009 contract.

They aren't being cheap if they don't see him as being worth the $10M next year. It's an option that Toronto and Frank bargained for. Big Frank is still getting paid for this year and he can go find another team. The Jays can finally give Adam Lind that real shot he deserves.

Whether performance-wise it was a good move is another question.

Archived