MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

The deal certainly isn't crippling.

No it isn't. I suppose PA deserves some credit for the unexpected 26% payroll increase from 2015 to 2016.

Matt's making some good strategic decisions with how he allocates his 101 wRC+. He made a difference tonight.

No it isn't. I suppose PA deserves some credit for the unexpected 26% payroll increase from 2015 to 2016.

Matt's making some good strategic decisions with how he allocates his 101 wRC+. He made a difference tonight.

101 wRC+ is pretty damn good for a catcher. AL Catcher OPS for 2016 is .676.

101 wRC+ is pretty damn good for a catcher. AL Catcher OPS for 2016 is .676.

101 wRC+ makes Matt tied for 23rd mlb-wide with JT Realmundo. However, he is 3 points ahead of Brian McCann who's making $1.2 million more. There is that.

I really enjoyed Matt doing well tonight. It looks like his health has returned and I am very happy for him.

101 wRC+ makes Matt tied for 23rd mlb-wide with JT Realmundo. However, he is 3 points ahead of Brian McCann who's making $1.2 million more. There is that.

I really enjoyed Matt doing well tonight. It looks like his health has returned and I am very happy for him.

Realmuto is having a good season. 1.4 rWAR to date. Matt had a pretty big ops jump after tonight.

Realmuto is having a good season. 1.4 rWAR to date. Matt had a pretty big ops jump after tonight.

Prior to tonight there were 21 other catchers who were having better seasons than both Realmuto and Wieters. Matt's performance tonight nullifies that somehow?

The wrc+ list you're using has no PA minimum on it. Lots of 50 PA and less guys on there.

If you set a 100 PA minimum, matt is #10 of 40 catchers. And that's before the boost he'll get from tonight.

The wrc+ list you're using has no PA minimum on it. Lots of 50 PA and less guys on there.

There are 8 catchers with 180 PA or greater ahead of Wieters and Realmuto by this metric. Wieters is doing better than expected. If he stays healthy and continues to perform at a 100 wRC+ level or better, he might actually warrant a QO this time.

There are 8 catchers with 180 PA or greater ahead of Wieters and Realmuto by this metric. Wieters is doing better than expected. If he stays healthy and continues to perform at a 100 wRC+ level or better, he might actually warrant a QO this time.

Uhhh...here's the more realistic answer. If Wieters keeps on the same pace or even remotely close to it....dude will get paid. A one-year QO will be a joke compared to what he lands.

Archived