Poll: IF Alvarez, T. Beckham & Crow are gone...

Who would you take iif Alvarez, T.Beckham and Crow were gone at pick #4?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you take iif Alvarez, T.Beckham and Crow were gone at pick #4?

• Brian Matusz
    • Justin Smoak
    • Gordon Beckham
    • Eric Hosmer
    • Buster Posey
    • Other, w/commentary in thread.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Alverez falls to us, although I doubt he will. The O's would be in great shape to have two elite positional prospects. Wieters have been absolutely amazing and to have another player of his caliber in the system is exactly what this team needs.

That said, if both of Beckham and Alverez are gone you'd have to go with Gordon Beckham. He'll make it to the majors quickly and has very impressive numbers this season. As long as he projects as a SS in the bigs I'd pick him.

I think this vote shows a little too much reliance on stats and position. I completely understand excitement around a SS that is dominating in the SEC. I'm just not convinced the kid is a top-5 talent, and as I've blathered on about before, his swing is not as projectable as a half-a-dozen other players in the draft. His numbers are fun, but as a baseball player I don't think he tops Posey/Matusz/Hosmer. I'd put him right at the Smoak/Alonso level -- 7-10 overall, and I don't want to take a lesser talent because he plays SS.

I'm not convinced Flaherty will be around, but I like Greg's idea of targeting a MI somewhere in rounds 2-5. Drafting Beckham at 4 puts unfair expectations on him, and I would be disappointed to have a capable 18 HR/.295 SS in three years rather than a .315/25 HR catcher/potential 30-35 HR 1b or front-end starter.

As always, just my thoughts.

I hope Alverez falls to us, although I doubt he will. The O's would be in great shape to have two elite positional prospects. Wieters have been absolutely amazing and to have another player of his caliber in the system is exactly what this team needs.

That said, if both of Beckham and Alverez are gone you'd have to go with Gordon Beckham. He'll make it to the majors quickly and has very impressive numbers this season. As long as he projects as a SS in the bigs I'd pick him.

I don't think Beckham makes it to the majors quickly. Right now, I'd say 3 full seasons in the minors (HiA/AA, AA/AAA, AAA after struggling).

Stotle, do you feel Smoak is unworthy of the 4 pick?

As of today, yes. I think this year, and his time with Team USA, raise enough issues that I'd prefer Alvarez/T-Bex/Posey/Crow/Matusz/Hosmer all over Smoak. Keeping in mind, of course, there is still a couple weeks of conference play and the college world series to go.

As of today, yes. I think this year, and his time with Team USA, raise enough issues that I'd prefer Alvarez/T-Bex/Posey/Crow/Matusz/Hosmer all over Smoak. Keeping in mind, of course, there is still a couple weeks of conference play and the college world series to go.
I too would select Posey who was the starting SS for FLA State before he moved behind the plate.

Drafting Posey to play a position he hasn't played all year seems unwise to me. I'd need to see a lot more evidence that he can play well at SS and has a good chance of sticking there. So if anyone has information on that I'd love to see it, but until then, my preference would be against drafting him.

Would be happy with Posey for alot of reasons. Don't think the idea would be to put him at ss. We could develop his catching skills, while allowing him to become a super util guy on the days he doesn't catch. In my mind this does not conflict with Weiters at all. First, the value Posey would have would be great if we traded him. The value of have two great bats, who both can catch would be great for the O's. If he is judged the best talent, then take him and just enjoy the fact that we have another great talent.

Sorry, I had to vote for Hosmer. It really seems like he is the best HS bat coming out of this draft and everything I have read about him is that he may be the best bat in this draft High School or College.

Sorry, I had to vote for Hosmer. It really seems like he is the best HS bat coming out of this draft and everything I have read about him is that he may be the best bat in this draft High School or College.

Hosmer was a close second for me. Greg nailed it when he rated him one overall at the start of the season.

Archived