Quietly, BRob is putting up impressive numbers

Frobby

I would guess this is partially a byproduct of having a lof of hitters who don't work the count. The earlier you swing in the count, the more likely you are to put the ball in play and the less likely to walk or strike out, I woud think.

Yeah, I'm not really saying it's much of a good thing, just that we don't really have a bunch of guys who strike out an absolute ton.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are the chances of Roberts stepping up and being a leader on this team? They call him a fan favorite and the face of the franchise. I know he can be a sparkpulg on the field, but has he ever been thought of as a leader?

He's too nice. He's not going to get in anyone's face. He gets along with just about everybody and demonstrates a sound work ethic, but he basically never, ever calls out a teammate. I think he can be part of a leadership team, but somebody else has to be the bad cop.

At least he wouldn't hit into as many double plays if he's striking out. :)

That really is true. Rob Deer used to hit into a good, consistent four double plays a year. That almost completely makes up for the lost advancements on grounders or fly balls you'd get not striking out.

If a team replaced 100% of its outs with strikeouts it might score 20 runs less over the course of a year. Any real team sees no difference in scoring by type of out. Well, except that high-K teams tend to be high-power teams, which tend to score more runs.

That really is true. Rob Deer used to hit into a good, consistent four double plays a year. That almost completely makes up for the lost advancements on grounders or fly balls you'd get not striking out.

If a team replaced 100% of its outs with strikeouts it might score 20 runs less over the course of a year. Any real team sees no difference in scoring by type of out. Well, except that high-K teams tend to be high-power teams, which tend to score more runs.

I suppose that's true. I guess it's just a personal feeling that I don't want to watch a guy strike out 200 times a season. Of course, watching Miggy GIDP isn't much fun either.

Of all the "good" hitters on our team, I think BRob is the only batter that consistently goes up there with a plan. Though he is on pace for a career-high in strikeouts, he's also walking a lot more. Also he's second on the team in pitches per plate appearance (only behind Millar). The team averages 3.73 P/PA versus BROb's 4.27 and Millar's 4.28. As a comparison, CP averages 3.20, Gibbons averages 3.37, and Tejada 3.60.

Of all the "good" hitters on our team, I think BRob is the only batter that consistently goes up there with a plan. Though he is on pace for a career-high in strikeouts, he's also walking a lot more. Also he's second on the team in pitches per plate appearance (only behind Millar). The team averages 3.73 P/PA versus BROb's 4.27 and Millar's 4.28. As a comparison, CP averages 3.20, Gibbons averages 3.37, and Tejada 3.60.

Markakis. He still knows what a ball is and what a strike is.

Markakis. He still knows what a ball is and what a strike is.

Having a good eye is not exactly the same thing as having a plan. It's a step in the right direction, but you also need to know the scouting report on the pitcher and have an idea what he's likely to throw you, what you can do with that and what you can't. You can see Roberts changing his approach as he faces different pitchers. I wouldn't say it's as pronounced yet with Markakis, but he is still quite young and learning.

I wouldn't say it's as pronounced yet with Markakis, but he is still quite young and learning.

Agreed, though ultimately if he has the work ethic Markakis will be this type of hitter.

Roberts is the son of a coach. Some things he was taught from a very early age.

Agreed, though ultimately if he has the work ethic Markakis will be this type of hitter.

Roberts is the son of a coach. Some things he was taught from a very early age.

When you see Markakis foul off 8 straight pitches then you'll know

When you see Markakis foul off 8 straight pitches then you'll know
Did we not see Markakis do almost exactly that and proceed to hit a grand slam?

Markakis is struggling right now, but I fully expect him to be the best hitter on the team by year's end, even if we keep Tejada.

Did we not see Markakis do almost exactly that and proceed to hit a grand slam?

Markakis is struggling right now, but I fully expect him to be the best hitter on the team by year's end, even if we keep Tejada.

I checked when I said that, he hit 5 straight to start the AB and hit 2 more in between 3 balls...then the grandslam on the 11th pitch.

Archived