Terps Recruiting

Munson

Durkin is doing an incredible job. This team went 3-9 last year and lost a few NFL players. He lead them to 6 wins and might finish with a top 15 recruiting class. To say he should be fired is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen on this board. Give him 2-3 more recruiting classes and we might be looking at a perennial top 25 team. 

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm not advocating he be fired. Just wondering how good he is. His program has been terrible the last two months and has had some key defections and disciplinary problems. And today they are getting mauled by a mediocre BC team. I would not classify this as "an incredible job" so far. But I guess time will tell.

I say a top 15 recruiting class after we went 3-9 last year is pretty incredible 

19 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Durkin is doing an incredible job. This team went 3-9 last year and lost a few NFL players. He lead them to 6 wins and might finish with a top 15 recruiting class. To say he should be fired is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen on this board. Give him 2-3 more recruiting classes and we might be looking at a perennial top 25 team. 

I gotta agree here about Durkin. I know it was frustrating to see the team play the big boys so poorly this year and then to have a few de-commitments, but at the end of the day, if he's even in the conversation with a player who is wanted by a Ohio State, Penn state or Florida State, then it says a lot about his ability to recruit. 

It's going to take some sustained success and some major bowl games before those kinds of guys start to show up regularly. That's just the nature of the beast.

MD kinda went the opposite of VT with it's staff and went with a pure recruiting based staff.  Not exactly a ton of proven coaches which much of a track record.  But a lot of young, plugged in guys.  I think it's fair to demand that that staff shows recruiting results right away.  Besides, it's a myth that you must win first before you can recruit well.  Usually you recruit well and then the wins come. 
But the recruiting seems to be good enough right now.  So even whatever you do demand of them, I would think they are meeting the demand.  They are probably about to add the coach of DeMatha to the staff so they can lock up McFarland.  That will be a really good get to kinda close out the class. 

• 4 weeks later...

Anthony McFarland's announcement is supposed to come today. It appears MD chances look better now than a week ago. Even if he still decides to go to Miami, I really like MD's RB situation. I really think Harrison is going to be a star. He could have been a 1000 yard rusher as a freshman if he didn't get himself suspended.

34 minutes ago, Munson said:

Anthony McFarland's announcement is supposed to come today. It appears MD chances look better now than a week ago. Even if he still decides to go to Miami, I really like MD's RB situation. I really think Harrison is going to be a star. He could have been a 1000 yard rusher as a freshman if he didn't get himself suspended.

His announcement started at 10 and is still ongoing.  Seriously. 

Luckily, he's been talking Terps the whole time.  Hasn't even mentioned Bama or Miami from what I've seen.  Looking good for us.  I believe he'll be our highest rated recruit. 

25 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

This Class keeps getting better and better. Now if they can flip the OL headed to Auburn.

That would be awesome but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.  

Apparently he was all set to flip to Maryland, but the media picked up the story before he made the announcement and Auburn convinced him to allow them another visit when they heard.  After that, it has seemed like his commitment to Auburn is set in stone.

We should still be in decent shape on the o-line. It's going to be mostly 4 and 5 star guys.  Ashley would've been a game changer though. 

Archived