Bedard

i_miss_cal

Considering the totality of current circumstances (age, talent, production, contract status, projection, etc.).... more trade value: Carlos Zambrano or Erik Bedard?
If you get a window to negotiate a deal and can get one done, its Zambrano in a landslide, but if he refuses to sign and Bedard gets back to putting up ERAs like we expect and not just the perifs, then its a lot closer, and Bedard might even have the edge.

I'm trying to think of the last time a guy like Zambrano was traded midseason, and the only thing I can think of is when Randy Johnson was traded from Seattle to Houston. They got Freddy Garcia, Carlos Guillen, and John Halama. None of those players were on BA's top 100 list for 1998 (Houston did have 3 at the time, Hidalgo, Berkman, and Wade Miller). Zambrano is younger, but Johnson still had a lot of years left. I think Bedard might actually get more in return than Zambrano at this point, again assuming that he refuses to sign an extension.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you get a window to negotiate a deal and can get one done, its Zambrano in a landslide, but if he refuses to sign and Bedard gets back to putting up ERAs like we expect and not just the perifs, then its a lot closer, and Bedard might even have the edge.

I'm trying to think of the last time a guy like Zambrano was traded midseason, and the only thing I can think of is when Randy Johnson was traded from Seattle to Houston. They got Freddy Garcia, Carlos Guillen, and John Halama. None of those players were on BA's top 100 list for 1998 (Houston did have 3 at the time, Hidalgo, Berkman, and Wade Miller). Zambrano is younger, but Johnson still had a lot of years left. I think Bedard might actually get more in return than Zambrano at this point, again assuming that he refuses to sign an extension.

Zambrano has alot of alarming signs but i think alot of teams will overlook that.

With Dice-K use in Japan and Beckett's injury history himself, i am not sure he is any more of a risk than these guys.

But Bedard has had his injury issues in the past and has had major surgery to his elbow.

Will Carroll's injury assessment of the three:

Bedard: Green

Matsuzaka: Yellow

Beckett: Red

And, by the way, Zambrano: Red

Would you guys deal Bedard for Crawford?

Or would you prefer to get 2-3 top young players?

I'd probably prefer to get 2-3 top young players, but Crawford might be too good to pass up. His contract has club options for 2009 and 2010. Tough choice. I'd have to see what other packages you could get for Bedard and for our other players.

Give me 2-3 top young players. I don't want to be facing Bedard all the time.

Crawford's a great player, but I don't think he's the guy to turn this franchise around. I'm assuming that if we deal Bedard, we are going to go on an all-out rebuild.

Now...if we were able to turn Miggy into a couple of "can't miss" pitchers, then I may think twice about dealing Bedard for Crawford! Do I sound like a politician now? :D

Jarrod Saltalamacchia out of Atlanta is blocked by Brian McCann, who is only 23. italianstallion mentioned in another thread that Bedard or Cabrera would probably be necessary to get Saltalamacchia included in a trade. This would also really open us up to being able to move Hernandez.

I did? :D You have a better memory than I, sir. I do agree with myself, though.:)

Zambrano is a guy I wouldn't want to invest a lot of money in for the future. I also wouldn't want to give up the players it would take to get him. My reasons are more gut than anything, but if I had to point to things it would be that he has high innings on a young arm, he isn't particularly a good athlete or in good shape, and he doesn't have particularly good control. I think he is a guy that could fall off a cliff in production quite quickly. Don't get me wrong. He is an excellent pitcher today (much like Mulder and Hudson were a few years ago). My opinion is that the Cubs are very intelligently trying to sell high on this guy. I don't blame them.

Zambrano is a phenomenal athlete.

You can quibble about his weight, but his athleticism is top notch.

Easy cop-out answer:

Depends on the 2-3 players.:)

No, really, I'd prefer not to trade him within the division. The last think I'd want is for TB to have better pitching.

Me and you have had this debate before but it will have to be a much better player than Crawford or several top shelf prospects to get Bedard if I am the GM.

Huh? What would you trade Bedard for?

I would take upton and a prospect for Bedard. Probably Crawford and a prospect. Bedard is a more valuable player than Crawford IMO. Crawford is a really good player but he is not an elite player and a top of the rotation pre FA pitcher has more value than a Very good but not great Corner outfielder. I would love to have Crawford but I would think it is very unlikely that I would pay Tampa's price to get him.

I would take upton and a prospect for Bedard. Probably Crawford and a prospect. Bedard is a more valuable player than Crawford IMO. Crawford is a really good player but he is not an elite player and a top of the rotation pre FA pitcher has more value than a Very good but not great Corner outfielder. I would love to have Crawford but I would think it is very unlikely that I would pay Tampa's price to get him.

Very good but not great? Crawford?

Hits for average, 25+ HR power, 50+ SB, stellar defense. I'd say he's one of the best all around players out there.

Archived