Bedard

i_miss_cal

BTW for Leitch the only thing comparable between Vlad and CC is that they play baseball and both are corner outfielders. I am talking about at the same point in thier careers also, not CC today vs. Vlad in his prime. CC is simply not nearly the player Vlad was and it is not even remotely close.

I didn't say CC was as good as Guerrero, I said they have similar offensive profiles, with the glaring difference being Gurrero's awesome power compared to Crawford's lack thereof, although Crawford's has been developing and could continue to do so.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SG I think you have your years mixed up. Beltran's 25 YO season he had a 911 OPS and it was his 4th year where he hit over 20 Hrs. Beltran had proven to be a better player when healthy than CC has been thus far. My point about the numbers is guys who have 5+ years in the majors at 25 YO if they are going to be elite players they usually already are by thier 5th season. I would love to have him but I stand by he is just a very good player not an elite player.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/beltrca01.shtml

I didn't say CC was as good as Guerrero, I said they have similar offensive profiles, with the glaring difference being Gurrero's awesome power compared to Crawford's lack thereof, although Crawford's has been developing and could continue to do so.

I really don't see the comp as valid other than stealing bases Vlad is way better in every offensive catagory.

Yes I guess it depends on the measurement date for the 25 YO season. Sorry to make an issue, however I will stand by my assessment of the comparision of the two. Beltran was much better at the same age.

No he wasn't...The difference was very small, at least in terms of OPS...CC has already won a GG and has more speed than beltran.

Beltran had a WARP3, from his age 22-24 seasons of 17.5.

Crawford, for the same ages, had a WARP3 of 21.7.

Even if you throw out Beltran's 23 y/o season, when he had only 300+ abs and give him the WARP3 for his 25 y/o season, his WARP3 would be 22.9.

Not sure how anyone can say CC isn't on the same path to being a similar player.

No he wasn't...The difference was very small, at least in terms of OPS...CC has already won a GG and has more speed than beltran.
Funny how sometimes gold gloves are meaningless and sometimes they mean something :)

Crawford is an excellent defender, but Beltran is very good as well. I doubt either would be elite defensive CFs, but both are elite LFs. I'd say they are very similar defensively.

Not sure how anyone can say CC isn't on the same path to being a similar player.
I don't think he projects to have as much power as Beltran, but other than that, I'd say there similar. I think Crawford will max out in the 20-25 HR level, maybe sneaking into the 25-30 range in his best years. Beltran is in the 35-40 range. Crawford is also lagging behind a bit in the OBP category, but I think he'll settle into a similar range as Beltran.

Funny how sometimes gold gloves are meaningless and sometimes they mean something :)

Crawford is an excellent defender, but Beltran is very good as well. I doubt either would be elite defensive CFs, but both are elite LFs. I'd say they are very similar defensively.

Huh? Beltran already is.

I don't think he projects to have as much power as Beltran, but other than that, I'd say there similar. I think Crawford will max out in the 20-25 HR level, maybe sneaking into the 25-30 range in his best years. Beltran is in the 35-40 range. Crawford is also lagging behind a bit in the OBP category, but I think he'll settle into a similar range as Beltran.

Did you think Beltran would be a 35-40 home run hitter?

I think Crawford can be a 30+ homer guy.

I really don't see the comp as valid other than stealing bases Vlad is way better in every offensive catagory.

High average, low walks, low strikeouts, great plate coverage, great speed. Obviously there are a lot of differences, but in terms of production, their profiles are similar except that Crawford's power is projection and Guerrero's power is actual and incredible.

Maybe I should say Crawford is Vladi Lite with more power? I don't think Crawford's a future hall of famer like Vladi is, but he's real good.

Huh? Beltran already is.
I'm not so sure Beltran is an elite CF. He's good, but I think he's a bit overrated. This based mostly on what I've seen and the comments of my Met's fan friend.

Just looked up his rate though on the BP site, and its been excellent last year and this year. It was good throughout his career before that, but not elite.

Archived