Duquette has a list..

Sports Guy

I think most people here would agree with this. I'd stick with Burres and Guthrie for now and would go to Olson if one of them faltered. There's no need to go get a veteran just for the sake of having a veteran.

Nevertheless, it seems like that's what the FO wants, a veteran.

Personally, I say we tear name "Burres" off of Brian's jersey and replace it with the name "Perez." Maybe then our idiot GMs will be happy. ;)

I have no interest in trading for Odalis or Chan Ho. But, Myers is only 26 (younger than our "ace"), and has had comparable success. If we could get him for Ray, I'd be all over that. Myers, Bedard, Cabrera...with Loewen coming back from injury, Olson getting "Ready" in AAA, and others on the way sounds pretty nice to me.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys seriously need to quit with this rediculous Myers talk.

The guy's trade value is in the Bedard range, not the Ray range.

You are 100% right...However, as a closer, his value is not nearly what it is as a starter and if they are stupid enough to think he is only a closer, his value does come down IF(and this is a huge if) they are willing to trade him.

No disagreement there. But like SG said...if they're dumb enough to put their best pitcher in the bullpen, maybe they're dumb enough to trade him for pennies on the dollar?

Would we ever consider Bedard as a closer? Would we send him to the pen before Moyer, Eaton, Hamels, or Lieber?

You are 100% right...However, as a closer, his value is not nearly what it is as a starter and if they are stupid enough to think he is only a closer, his value does come down IF(and this is a huge if) they are willing to trade him.

And why on earth would Gillick market the guy to other GMs as only a closer?

C'mon use your head for a split second here.

And why on earth would Gillick market the guy to other GMs as only a closer?

C'mon use your head for a split second here.

I know most teams will look at him as a closer HOWEVER, the Phillies are obviously placing great emphasis on the closer's position.

So, would they rather have someone closing who is a little expensive and has had his own controversy around him or would they prefer to have a young cheap guy?

I wouldn't rule out anything right now in terms of the Phillies.

Putting your best starter in the closers role is beyond stupid and, let's not forget, he wouldn't even be the closer if it wasn't for Gordon's injury...He would only be the set up guy.

I am not sure if they would take Penn or not right now but i would at least offer them Penn, Ray and Bradford and see if they bite on it.

I know most teams will look at him as a closer HOWEVER, the Phillies are obviously placing great emphasis on the closer's position.

So, would they rather have someone closing who is a little expensive and has had his own controversy around him or would they prefer to have a young cheap guy?

I wouldn't rule out anything right now in terms of the Phillies.

Putting your best starter in the closers role is beyond stupid and, let's not forget, he wouldn't even be the closer if it wasn't for Gordon's injury...He would only be the set up guy.

I am not sure if they would take Penn or not right now but i would at least offer them Penn, Ray and Bradford and see if they bite on it.

You didn't answer the question though.

When speaking with other GMs, why on earth would Gillick market Myers as a closer?

That'd be akin to advertising your shiny new Lexus as a wonderful portable stereo.

Would we ever consider Bedard as a closer? Would we send him to the pen before Moyer, Eaton, Hamels, or Lieber?

Exactly. Myers should be in the Bedard range, but thanks to the Phils, he's not. They obviously don't think as highly of him as they should.

OK, let's say for a second that the Phils are stupid enough that they think Myers is in the Chris Ray range. Regardless, if they make him available to trade, they will still take the best offer. So, what you need to happen to get Myers for a huge bargain is not only the Phils undervaluing their own player but every other team that is possibly interested undervaluing him too. I doubt it will happen unless there's something we don't know.

Exactly. Myers should be in the Bedard range, but thanks to the Phils, he's not. They obviously don't think as highly of him as they should.

Not sure why you're so quick to assume that since they're misusing him on the field, they'd also undervalue him on the trade market.

I suspect a guy like Pat Gillick has a pretty good handle on what young, proven arms like Myers are worth to other GMs.

OK, let's say for a second that the Phils are stupid enough that they think Myers is in the Chris Ray range. Regardless, if they make him available to trade, they will still take the best offer. So, what you need to happen to get Myers for a huge bargain is not only the Phils undervaluing their own player but every other team that is possibly interested undervaluing him too. I doubt it wil lhappen.
Very true, BUT it all depends on what PHI is looking for in return. The Mets could have gotten more than Victor Zambrano for Kazmir, but they wanted that particular pitcher. Teams do dumb things all the time.

I agree it's not too likely, though.

You didn't answer the question though.

When speaking with other GMs, why on earth would Gillick market Myers as a closer?

That'd be akin to advertising your shiny new Lexus as a wonderful portable stereo.

I never said he would market him as a closer.

But since he was moved to the pen, teams may not give up as much for him as they would have if he was still starting.

Not sure why you're so quick to assume that since they're misusing him on the field, they'd also undervalue him on the trade market.

I suspect a guy like Pat Gillick has a pretty good handle on what young, proven arms like Myers are worth to other GMs.

I agree that his current position as closer won't greatly effect his value, but you have to think that moving a guy like that from the rotation to the pen starts some head scratching. Does he have an injury? Does he have makeup problems? Is something going on here we don't know about?

Archived