Duquette has a list..

Sports Guy

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, let me ask you this.....

Let's say Myers stayed in the rotation and currently had a 3.50 ERA with 3 wins and his normal K rates.

Now, lets look at him now...3 saves in the pen, great ERA and peripherals.

What version of Myers nets more in a trade right now???

Couldn't you argue that now he's more versatile? He can start and close, he's worth more! I'm joking, I think...

Couldn't you argue that now he's more versatile? He can start and close, he's worth more! I'm joking, I think...

Considering SG makes this claim all the time about Tejada (that we could market him to more teams if he's willing to play either SS or 3B), I don't see why the same can't be said for Myers.

Ok, let me ask you this.....

Let's say Myers stayed in the rotation and currently had a 3.50 ERA with 3 wins and his normal K rates.

Now, lets look at him now...3 saves in the pen, great ERA and peripherals.

What version of Myers nets more in a trade right now???

You're asking "what's worth more: a good starter or a good closer?"

Well a starter is worth more.

And everyone in baseball knows that Myers is a very good starter. His month in the bullpen hasn't erased everyone's memory.

Considering SG makes this claim all the time about Tejada (that we could market him to more teams if he's willing to play either SS or 3B), I don't see why the same can't be said for Myers.

Yea but everyone knows a good starter can be a good closer though.

You're asking "what's worth more: a good starter or a good closer?"

Well a starter is worth more.

And everyone in baseball knows that Myers is a very good starter. His month in the bullpen hasn't erased everyone's memory.

I think Myers going to the pen + his "woman beating"= declined value.

We know what you think. It was apparent pages ago.

Take out "going to the pen," and I agree.

Me too, I don't think him going to the pen lessons his value to other teams. Other teams may think they can get him at a discounted value now like SG does, however I think they'd still be willing to offer about as much as they did before Myers went to the pen.

I tend to agree that we can't get Myers cheap, but would be all over it if we could. The Ray, Penn, Bradford deal would be great, but I can't see the Phillies accepting (especially with Penn hurt) The point is, I am pretty sure Gillick isn't just gonna give up Myers for that type of deal.

Now, how about this scenario:

SG is right, and a deal involving Ray goes through. We get all pumped about how we have one of the best young rotations in the league, maybe the best young one once Loewen comes back and Olson comes up, and we are throwing parties and the OH is celebrating. Then, we hear the press conference from Duquette and Flanny and they say that they think they have acquired a guy who is really going to bolster our bullpen:eek:

Now, THAT, would be a typical Oriole move.

Here we go again. We may want a reclamation project.

"We're talking back end of the rotation or a starter who might have been put in the bullpen someplace else, who might have fallen out of favor," Duquette said.:rolleyes:

I agree. This is such a non-move by this organization. Adding another back of the rotation starter doesn't do alot to improve us, IMO. Maybe a game or two.

We've needed a true #1 Ace pitcher for years now and this never gets addressed. We'd be so much better off actually making an investment into a top of the line pitcher, rather than continuing to waste time and money on the Jaret Wrights, Steve Trachsells, Kris Bensons off the world.

Olson pitched today: Olson P (L, 0-4) 7.0 6 3 3 0 9 1 4.28 9K's no walks 7 innings and just a 2 R HR. Not bad IMO.

When Olson pitches, do the Tides leave their bats behind? Is he the designated no run support guy?

Archived