Mock Draft Picks 1-10

I've been a big proponent of Smoak for a while. I went with who I think the Orioles would draft though, which is the criteria for the Mock Draft. Not that I don't think the Orioles aren't very high on Smoak, they'd be foolish not to be, but the team has continued to show the desire to build up pitching.

I had no temptation to take GBeck, but only because I project Matusz and Smoak higher than him, and honestly have no idea how the Orioles would view his movement up draft boards this season. It was really between Matusz and Smoak for me, and I think if the draft goes down in this scenario it will be the same for Joe Jordan and Andy MacPhail.

I would be quite happy if the Orioles end up with Matusz, as he is a top flight college pitcher. I like him better than Crow.

I hope the Orioles never draft another high school pitcher in round 1.

Can't argue with your logic at all, but I would of taken a bat. Hosmer, Smoak, Alonzo would be my choices, in that order.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the fourth pick in the OH Mock Draft the Baltimore Orioles select...

Brian Matusz, LHSP, San Diego

The Orioles will be eager to add the dominant 6' 4" lefthander to headline their already solid stable of young minor league arms including Chris Tillman, Chorye Spoone, Brandon Erbe, and Matt Riley.

This is the guy I'm really excited about!!!!

BTW, great job with this stuff, fellas.

In probably the first surprise pick of the draft, SFN stays true to their "college lean" by making Buster Posey their first round pick in 2008 draft. The presence of Angel Villalona and doubts that Hosmer could make the shift to a corner outfield slot lead SFN to shy away from the best bat in the draft. Ultimately, the decision came down to Posey, South Carolina 1b Justin Smoak and helium poster-child Gordon Beckham (SS, University of Georgia). With 1b/SS/2b making up almost a third of the Giants Top 30 prospects (according to Baseball America) the Giants elected to address a glaring weakness in the system by selecting the talented Seminole backstop.

Posey has thrived since switching from SS to C. Through 40 games, Posey has posted an impressive line of .480/.579/.858, 11 HR, 17 2b, 3 3b, 48 RBI and a 34 BB/11 SO in just under 190 PA. Posey should move quickly, as he is advanced defensively and has plus arm strength behind the plate.

Though Kyle Skipworth (Patriot HS, CA) is the top catcher on most boards, SFN chose to stay in their comfort zone and go with the "safer" collegian. Posey should reach the ML squad by mid-2010 and should form a formidable battery along with Lincecum/Cain/Lowry/Sanchez. He'll likely split '09 between HiA and AA, joining up with fellow top prospects Tim Alderson (RHSP, 2007 1st round), Madison Bumgarner (LHSP, 2007 1st round) and Angel Villalona (1b, 2006 signed Dominican Republic).

FLA is on the clock!

1. TAM -- Tim Beckham (SS), Griffin High School (GA)

2. PIT -- Pedro Alvarez (3b), Vanderbilt University

3. KAN -- Aaron Crow (RHSP), University of Missouri

4. BAL -- Brian Matusz (LHSP), University of San Diego

5. SFN -- Buster Posey ©, Florida State University

Best Value: Matusz (BAL, #4) -- Top pitcher on many boards falls to BAL at #4

Overpick: Buster Posey (SFN, #5) -- SFN passes on big bats in Hosmer/Smoak/Beckham and potentially a better overall catching prospect in Skipworth

Next five picks:

6. FLA

7. CIN

8. CHA

9. WAS

10. HOU

In probably the first surprise pick of the draft, SFN stays true to their "college lean" by making Buster Posey their first round pick in 2008 draft. The presence of Angel Villalona and doubts that Hosmer could make the shift to a corner outfield slot lead SFN to shy away from the best bat in the draft. Ultimately, the decision came down to Posey, South Carolina 1b Justin Smoak and helium poster-child Gordon Beckham (SS, University of Georgia). With 1b/SS/2b making up almost a third of the Giants Top 30 prospects (according to Baseball America) the Giants elected to address a glaring weakness in the system by selecting the talented Seminole backstop.

Posey has thrived since switching from SS to C. Through 40 games, Posey has posted an impressive line of .480/.579/.858, 11 HR, 17 2b, 3 3b, 48 RBI and a 34 BB/11 SO in just under 190 PA. Posey should move quickly, as he is advanced defensively and has plus arm strength behind the plate.

Though Kyle Skipworth (Patriot HS, CA) is the top catcher on most boards, SFN chose to stay in their comfort zone and go with the "safer" collegian. Posey should reach the ML squad by mid-2010 and should form a formidable battery along with Lincecum/Cain/Lowry/Sanchez. He'll likely split '09 between HiA and AA, joining up with fellow top prospects Tim Alderson (RHSP, 2007 1st round), Madison Bumgarner (LHSP, 2007 1st round) and Angel Villalona (1b, 2006 signed Dominican Republic).

FLA is on the clock!

Personally I see this as you do... Posey will go #5 if he is still on the board. Very good choice, regardless of who was left.

Can't argue with your logic at all, but I would of taken a bat. Hosmer, Smoak, Alonzo would be my choices, in that order.

I take a bat if they believe the hitter/pitcher prospects are of equal talent, however, if you believe there is a noticeable talent disparity between the two, you always go for the higher talent IMO.

Fill in holes via free agency and trades if need be, a surplus is a nice problem to have.

I take a bat if they believe the hitter/pitcher prospects are of equal talent, however, if you believe there is a noticeable talent disparity between the two, you always go for the higher talent IMO.

Fill in holes via free agency and trades if need be, a surplus is a nice problem to have.

My problem is that I'm irrationally down on Matusz ;)

Furry will likely be posting the FLA selection tomorrow, as (s)he is on holiday.

AHHH, ok no biggie. Did the same stuff during our fantasy draft too. I won't be around from 1-7pm tomorrow but I'll get mine in as soon as possible outside of those hours :)

Oh. I see that they'll put Steave Pierce at 1B and McCutchen at center. Fine, that makes sense.

I know I am a little late on this but if Nutting okays the draft and signing of Alvarez which would be late, and all three of their prospects pan out they will do the following.

Alvarez to 1B, LaRoche will be gone. Hes a fine player but by the time he heats up they are already out of contention

Bay traded for pitching, Mclouth moved to left, Nady traded and Pearce handled LF or RF well last year when he was up.

Walker at 3rd

McCuteheon has always been a CF, great defensively

This pick is a no-brainer. Missing their big power player after the Cabrera trade, the Marlins select Eric Hosmer,1B, stating the intention to keep him at 1B and move Hanley Ramirez and his "defense" to left field.

Hosmer has a sweet stroke that will give him 35-40 homeruns a year, plus Gold Glove caliber defense at first base. The Marlins will have to sign him to a big contract, as he is represented by Scott Boras, and has stated intent to go to Arizona State. The Marlins will have to pull him out from his intent.

This pick is a no-brainer. Missing their big power player after the Cabrera trade, the Marlins select Eric Hosmer,1B, stating the intention to keep him at 1B and move Hanley Ramirez and his "defense" to left field.

Hosmer has a sweet stroke that will give him 35-40 homeruns a year, plus Gold Glove caliber defense at first base. The Marlins will have to sign him to a big contract, as he is represented by Scott Boras, and has stated intent to go to Arizona State. The Marlins will have to pull him out from his intent.

No way the Marlins pay enough money to keep Hosmer from going to AZ St.

Archived