Mock Draft Picks 1-10

In HOU's return to the first round, they go a familiar route, selecting Shooter Hunt out of Tulane (two first round picks ago, HOU selected Bogusevic, 24th pick in 2005). Hunt has the stuff to move quickly out of the pen, but may need some seasoning to work on his offspeed stuff. He could help out as soon as 2009 as a power reliever, but will likely progress one level per year (beginning HiA/AA), making is target arrival around mid-2010.

Hunt has held hitters to a microscopic .139 almost solely through use of his fastball/slider combo. HOU may have landed the top arm in the draft at #10, and should be excited to see him in action (likely challenging him at Corpus Cristi sometime next summer).

That completes the first ten picks. I'll post a round-up this afternoon and we can do a review/critique/discussion tomorrow. Picks 11-20 will kick-off Wednesday. Great job on the first 10, all; it was fun.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. TAM Beckham, Tim, SS (Griffin HS, GA)

2. PIT Alvarez, Pedro, 3b (Vanderbilt)

3. KAN Crow, Aaron, SP (Missouri)

4. BAL Matusz, Brian, SP (San Diego)

5. SFN Posey, Buster, C (Florida State)

6. FLA Hosmer, Eric, 1b (American Heritage HS, FL)

7. CIN Beckham, Gordon, SS (Georgia)

8. CHA Smoak, Justin, 1b (South Carolina)

9. WAS Skipworth, Kyle, C (Patriot HS, CA)

10. HOU Hunt, Shooter, SP (Tulane)

Thoughts on the following?

Best Value:

Biggest Reach:

Biggest Surprise:

Best Remaining Pitching Talent:

Best Remaining Positional Talent:

Best Value: Gordon Beckham

Biggest Reach: Buster Posey

Biggest Surprise: Eric Hosmer

Best Remaining Pitching Talent: Tanner Scheppers

Best Remaining Positional Talent: Jemile Weeks

My answer is above.

Best Value:

Biggest Reach:

Biggest Surprise:

Best Remaining Pitching Talent:

Best Remaining Positional Talent:

Best Value: White Sox> Smoak

Biggest Reach: Florida> Hosmer (For financial reasons only)

Biggest Surprise: Hosmer again, for the same reason.

Best Remaining Pitching Talent: Tanner Scheppers

Best Remaining Positional Talent: Yonder Alonso

I thought this was an interesting first 10 picks. Here are my votes for the various categories:

Best Value: Brian Matusz (BAL) -- I think BAL got the best pitcher in the draft and will end up paying less for his services than KAN pays for Crow (slotting aside).

Biggest Reach: None -- A bit of a cop-out but each pick seemed pretty sound to me. There is a question as to whether or not FLA would spend to get Hosmer, but if ever there were a prospect FLA would open up the books for, this would be he. The new comp rules also guarantee that the Fish would get a similar top 10 pick next year (rather than a supplemental round pick) if they can't sign him.

Biggest Surprise: Eric Hosmer (FLA) -- It would have been easy to grab an arm like Hunt or Scheppers; it was kind of nice to see someone think they'd go all out and grab Hosmer. Funny when you think they could end up spend the same amount on Hosmer's signing bonus as they did on a quarter of their ML team this year...

Best Remaining Pitching Talent: Josh Fields, RP (Georgia) -- The kid can flat out throw, and has been incredible this year. I wonder if ATL is wishing they'd pulled the trigger and inked him last year. They most likely won't get a second shot at him. He could pitch out of a ML bullpen this year if he's signed early.

Best Remaining Positional Talent: Yonder Alonso (Miami) -- Best bat, and I imagine he'll be gone pretty quickly in the next set of picks.

"Biggest Surprise: Eric Hosmer (FLA) -- It would have been easy to grab an arm like Hunt or Scheppers; it was kind of nice to see someone think they'd go all out and grab Hosmer. Funny when you think they could end up spend the same amount on Hosmer's signing bonus as they did on a quarter of their ML team this year..."

I saw a quote from John Manuels chat this week that again listed Hosmer as not only the best HS bat in the draft but said that he most likely could be the best bat in the draft period. With the nice talent we've accumulated so far in the McPhail trades I could see JJ going Hosmer. He looks like an outstanding talent.

I thought this was an interesting first 10 picks. Here are my votes for the various categories:

Best Value: Brian Matusz (BAL) -- I think BAL got the best pitcher in the draft and will end up paying less for his services than KAN pays for Crow (slotting aside).

Biggest Reach: None -- A bit of a cop-out but each pick seemed pretty sound to me. There is a question as to whether or not FLA would spend to get Hosmer, but if ever there were a prospect FLA would open up the books for, this would be he. The new comp rules also guarantee that the Fish would get a similar top 10 pick next year (rather than a supplemental round pick) if they can't sign him.

Biggest Surprise: Eric Hosmer (FLA) -- It would have been easy to grab an arm like Hunt or Scheppers; it was kind of nice to see someone think they'd go all out and grab Hosmer. Funny when you think they could end up spend the same amount on Hosmer's signing bonus as they did on a quarter of their ML team this year...

Best Remaining Pitching Talent: Josh Fields, RP (Georgia) -- The kid can flat out throw, and has been incredible this year. I wonder if ATL is wishing they'd pulled the trigger and inked him last year. They most likely won't get a second shot at him. He could pitch out of a ML bullpen this year if he's signed early.

Best Remaining Positional Talent: Yonder Alonso (Miami) -- Best bat, and I imagine he'll be gone pretty quickly in the next set of picks.

Fields didn't have a good year in 07, so I'm sure Atlanta was worried that his arm was fried. He rested it over the winter and bounced back this year.

I agree with you about Alonso. I saw him and LaPorta a few times each over the past two years, and I would say LaPorta is only a tiny bit better.

Archived