Peter Gammons think Rays might take Posey No. 1

That would be an interesting selection for TB. With Posey, they would save considerable coin over their spend in previous years on their top pick. If they put the savings back into the draft, they could pick up loads of talent in subsequent rounds. We'll see.

I have Posey as a possibility, but this would be a solid choice at #1. Posey could be a perrenial all-star backstop, alongside our own Wieters. :D

Greg, is there any truth to the rumor that the Rays also sent out "signals" last year that they weren't interested in Price? Perhaps this is just some smoke-and-mirrors on their part?

I hope this is true though. I love Matusz, Smoak, G. Beckham and Hosmer, but I really, really love Alvarez and T. Beckham. In a manly way, I mean. ;)

Greg, is there any truth to the rumor that the Rays also sent out "signals" last year that they weren't interested in Price? Perhaps this is just some smoke-and-mirrors on their part?

I hope this is true though. I love Matusz, Smoak, G. Beckham and Hosmer, but I really, really love Alvarez and T. Beckham. In a manly way, I mean. ;)

They were in on Price all along. Gammons is speculating, but based on real possibilities.

If Posey goes #1...

then all hell breaks loose at the OH! :D

Not really addressed at you, but I am just curious: is there any reason for MLB teams to send out smoke and mirrors or mixed signals? It makes sense in, say, the NFL where you can trade picks and may try to get someone to jump into your spot for a certain player. Makes less sense with no trading.

Only plus I could see without trades is maybe getting leverage with other players. You tell the world "We really want Posey." Then you go to Beckham and say "Posey is great cause he said he'd sign for $X, but how about you, what would it take for you?" No idea if such shenanigans are legal though...any other reasons?

How does Posey compare to Wieters?

Posey may project to hit for a higher average and Wieters should hit for more power. Both are good backstops defensively, so overall there is little that seperates them. Were I able to choose between the two, I'd take Wieters in a close call.

Tim Beckham, although that is a very good group.

I've seen Alvarez's bat compared to Manny Ramirez's. If that's even close to the truth, there's no way I pass him over for a HS prospect, unless you believe he really is the next A-Rod/Griffey. Draft him, sign him and send him to Bowie as quickly as possible. I want him in ST next year if he's on the board at #4.

I've seen Alvarez's bat compared to Manny Ramirez's. If that's even close to the truth, there's no way I pass him over for a HS prospect, unless you believe he really is the next A-Rod/Griffey. Draft him, sign him and send him to Bowie as quickly as possible. I want him in ST next year if he's on the board at #4.

Yeah... it's a tough call either way. Alvarez could be special as well.

Tim Beckham, although that is a very good group.

I simply could not pass up Alvarez.

Although Beckham would be the only one in the conversation for me personally. Not to put down how good Crow and Matusz are, but I want a top flight hitter.

Archived