Wow, Kim is untouchable

cm1290

I've mentioned several times about the curiosity I have about bat speed, and how baseball may over-emphasize bat speed. I get the feeling that scouts tend to equate a quick bat with the ability to hit. This despite a long, long history of successful MLB hitters who basically just drop the bat into the zone and wack the ball. Sometimes turning on a pitch, but often just flaring it into the outfield. Boggs. Gwynn. Ichiro. Countless guys from pre-1965.

It's interesting that this seems to not be the case in Asia, and many players from Japan or Korea have this unorthodox approach (to North American eyes) yet are successful. We have to go overseas to find these players because it's selected out by coaches and scouts here. If you don't have a super quick bat here the scout just writes a 30 or 40 as your hit skill and you're not a prospect.

I think scouts have the same bias for height. For every Jose Altuve I bet there are probably five guys 5'7" or under that get passed over because they are too short. No matter how good of a ballplayer they are.

MLB really needs to get back to taking the good ballplayer. I think the talent level overall is watered down by preordained bias of what plays in the Major Leagues.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you know that Kim is only three years older than Rickard?

I'm just curious.

I have the feeling that a lot of folks think Kim is over 30.

I thought Joey was 24. I know Kim is 28. For all Kim is talked about on this board, it's a shock if there's anything about Kim that isn't known

If Joey hadn't been robbed of a hr that was brought back, he'd be on pace to hit 16 this year

I think everyone, probably Rickard himself, is surprised at the 4 he has hit so far. He hit 2 all year last year, and 13 in his entire ML career.

I think everyone, probably Rickard himself, is surprised at the 4 he has hit so far. He hit 2 all year last year, and 13 in his entire ML career.

Sometimes players develop more power as they get older. Also there is truth to the statement, the harder they come the harder they go. I wonder how many of his homers were hit on 93 plus mph fastballs?

I was gonna say the same thing. Rickard has 11 extra base hits in 178 PAs and Kim has 3 in 37 PAs. Kim's exit velocity is also higher.

I don't care about power, but bat control clearly goes to Kim. His last at bat was great. He took two strikes, having never seen this pitcher before. Then he gets a slider and doesn't over swing (ala Jones) but drills a sharp line drive the other way. That is impressive.

I've mentioned several times about the curiosity I have about bat speed, and how baseball may over-emphasize bat speed. I get the feeling that scouts tend to equate a quick bat with the ability to hit. This despite a long, long history of successful MLB hitters who basically just drop the bat into the zone and wack the ball. Sometimes turning on a pitch, but often just flaring it into the outfield. Boggs. Gwynn. Ichiro. Countless guys from pre-1965.

It's interesting that this seems to not be the case in Asia, and many players from Japan or Korea have this unorthodox approach (to North American eyes) yet are successful. We have to go overseas to find these players because it's selected out by coaches and scouts here. If you don't have a super quick bat here the scout just writes a 30 or 40 as your hit skill and you're not a prospect.

I think that's a shame. I enjoy the variety of approaches.

Archived