PED Suspensions Coming

Sessh

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would your mind jump to Davis?

I have a list of a half dozen guys off the top of my head I would suspect over an under-performing Davis.

I wouldn't be shocked if his teammate Nelson Cruz gets busted...Jose Altuve.

Maybe even Manny Machado...who knows.

And there's no place on this board for Gnat-i-tude.

Just now, tntoriole said:

I was listening to an audiobook today driving home from Cooperstown where I spent this last weekend at the HOF...it was Luckiest Man, the bio of Lou Gehrig by Jonathan Eig.   He wanted to win too.   As did all of those guys in Cooperstown with plaques.  And none of these guys using PEDS will ever join any of those guys.  So...I hope it was worth it for them.  But it is hard to see how. 

I don't agree.

8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Same question...why is a guy like Cano using anything that would end up being detected?   More money?  Another contract?  Just sad that athletes get this desperate or greedy or stupid or all three. 

It’s not money. His contract runs through 2023. Ego is my guess, wanted to be back on top.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't agree.

I’m not sure I do either. Baseball whitewashed the beginning of the steroid era and guys like Ortiz have become beloved in the game. Rodriguez is a color guy (pretty good commentary, too) on FOX. Brian Roberts. And Millar....ugh.

Paving the way to normalize the guys who also got caught and are HOF eligible.

1 hour ago, Fuzzball22 said:

How big of a surprise would it be if it came out that Cal was using Peds? If I had to guess gun to head I would say no but I would spend some time thinking about it.

I wouldn't have to think twice before saying yes to Cal using roids.  He had a an MVP season sandwiched between multiple mediocre seasons. And PED would help him heal better and keep that streak going. Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I’m not sure I do either. Baseball whitewashed the beginning of the steroid era and guys like Ortiz have become beloved in the game. Rodriguez is a color guy (pretty good commentary, too) on FOX. Brian Roberts. And Millar....ugh.

Paving the way to normalize the guys who also got caught and are HOF eligible.

I think a lot of the younger voters fully accept that a large percentage were using over a period of decades.  They're already PED abusers in the hall, both steroids and amphetamines. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think a lot of the younger voters fully accept that a large percentage were using over a period of decades.  They're already PED abusers in the hall, both steroids and amphetamines. 

I’m not going with you down that rabbit hole again, but I disagree with your premise.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't agree.

We shall see.  There was an interactive quiz at the Hall of Fame asking vsitors tnat very question...92 percent of fan visitors said No to ever admitting any PEDs users.   Ask Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose how long the institutional  memory of the HOF voters can be...  If it was up to me, they would never have plaques...a special exhibit that identifies their cheating and drug use? sure..That is how it is handled now at HOF. 

17 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I wouldn't have to think twice before saying yes to Cal using roids.  He had a an MVP season sandwiched between multiple mediocre seasons. And PED would help him heal better and keep that streak going. Just my opinion.

Yeah, just like Lou Gehrig needed them....to keep that streak of his going.  

23 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Yeah, just like Lou Gehrig needed them....to keep that streak of his going.  

And as I said...the streak isn't my only reason for my opinion.  Of course, playing 1B has less chances of getting hurt than a SS. Guess that doesn't matter though.

6 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

And as I said...the streak isn't my only reason for my opinion.  Of course, playing 1B has less chances of getting hurt than a SS. Guess that doesn't matter though.

I disagree with your opinion.  Cal was a follow the rules, obsessive personality  type...just like Gehrig.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Sometimes on the road they would put Gehrig in the lineup as the SS hitting leadoff.  He'd bat once and be replaced in the bottom of the first.

• Thanks 1