Millar is not a cleanup hitter

JTrea81

Finally...on the 88th post...sanity has prevailed! :D

It's a bird...it's a plane...no...it's Moose Milligan to save the day!

I can't believe there are 88 posts to point out the blatantly obvious. Yes, Millar is no cleanup hitter. Yes, we know Hernandez and Fahey are not Major League shortstops.

Wow...sometimes, I just wonder! :rolleyes:

Also...I realize that I did just enter into this nonsensical thread. I also realize that I don't have to read it.

Just never fails to amaze me that we moaned and groaned all spring about our SS situation and the fact that Millar would be hitting 4th....and it's like we're still surprised at both.

I think it's a lock that before the seasons over we'll see another thread about how Millar is a bad cleanup hitter (overlooking the fact that he's not the long term solution, which would be too obvious to state). I also have a feeling that it'll be Jtrea starting the thread. Just a hunch.

We'll also see a couple more threads on how horrible our SS situation is, rehashing the same points over and over again. Newsflash! Our franchise SS isn't in the system right now!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just never fails to amaze me that we moaned and groaned all spring about our SS situation and the fact that Millar would be hitting 4th....and it's like we're still surprised at both.

I think it's a lock that before the seasons over we'll see another thread about how Millar is a bad cleanup hitter (overlooking the fact that he's not the long term solution, which would be too obvious to state). I also have a feeling that it'll be Jtrea starting the thread. Just a hunch.

We'll also see a couple more threads on how horrible our SS situation is, rehashing the same points over and over again. Newsflash! Our franchise SS isn't in the system right now!

Well, to be fair, I'm sure we'll be seeing some Release Cabrera/Send Cabrera to the Pen/Trade Cabrera threads after his next bad start. If this board didn't discuss the same things ad nauseam, it'd be really slow around here. that's not to say that I don't agree with you, but this is how it is every year. Some people just need to complain about something, anything. If there's nothing new to cry about, dredge up some old issues. It's the way of the internet message board.

Well, to be fair, I'm sure we'll be seeing some Release Cabrera/Send Cabrera to the Pen/Trade Cabrera threads after his next bad start. If this board didn't discuss the same things ad nauseam, it'd be really slow around here. that's not to say that I don't agree with you, but this is how it is every year. Some people just need to complain about something, anything. If there's nothing new to cry about, dredge up some old issues. It's the way of the internet message board.

This is true.

Every so often, it comes to a head...I think we all find redundancy in here and point it out from time to time.

However the circumstances around Cabrera is more intriguing than Millar and the SS situation. We know Millar isn't a long term solution here and we know our SS situation isn't going to be fixed anytime soon with anyone in our organization.

At least Cabrera keeps things interesting. ;)

I think he will give it to Scott if Millar continues to struggle. So far DT hasn't made any egregious errors in managing of the Perlozzo nature so I see no point in being micro critical of his every move. Particularly when his team is currently in 1st place, though it's expected to be in last. Also I am not so insecure as to need to show off on a message board how smart I think I am by denouncing DT with hyperbole and invective over moves for which reasonable people can differ. A stupid move is one for which one can find no reason. DT has good reasons for all his moves so far.

Oh? Good reasons?

1. Millar cleanup. Every game. Gave him that position from the immediate get go.

2. Having Torres, Fahey, and Luis Hernandez on the same team.

3. Yanking pitchers when they haven't been finished yet (i.e. Guthrie).

The only one here where I can see his rationale is #3, and that's only because he doesn't believe in pitch counts. That's his prerogative, I disagree with it at times, because Guthrie could have definitely gone longer in 2 of the games he pitched in.

The only one here where I can see his rationale is #3, and that's only because he doesn't believe in pitch counts. That's his prerogative, I disagree with it at times, because Guthrie could have definitely gone longer in 2 of the games he pitched in.
We don't have a true #4 hitter, in the typical sense, so whoever we play there will be out of place. Millar hasn't hit any worse over the last week or so than Huff or Scott really. Switching those 3 around among the #4, 5, and 6 spots really won't make any noticeable difference unless one of them is riding a really hot streak. Markakis is doing fine taking his walks, and none of those 3 are really good enough (except maybe Scott) to get anybody to pitch to Nick. He's gonna see the pitches he's seen so far all season.

That's my point, though. Put Scott in the 4 hole. Millar 5th, Huff 6th, etc.

Or, Millar 2nd, Markakis 3rd, Scott 4th, Mora 5th, Huff 6th, etc.

I would just like to see a legitimate reason to have Millar in the 4 hole before the season started.

FWIW, if we're going to take small sample sizes, Millar is hitting something like 170 with RISP. Not what you want out of your cleanup hitter. At all.

I would just like to see a legitimate reason to have Millar in the 4 hole before the season started.

FWIW, if we're going to take small sample sizes, Millar is hitting something like 170 with RISP. Not what you want out of your cleanup hitter. At all.

My point is it doesn't matter if we have Millar, Huff, or Scott batting there. None of them are adequate for the role. I think the main reason for keeping Scott out of that role for now is that he's an inexperienced player getting his first shot at consistent playing time. Rather than add extra pressure and implied responsibility of batting cleanup to an inexperienced guy, he's placing that "weight" on the shoulders of a veteran.

There really isn't much upside of switching Scott to #4. The performance of the team won't improve just because he's batting 4 instead of 5 or 6. But, I do think there is some downside (albeit a small chance, IMO) that Scott doesn't handle the pressures of batting #4 and struggles moreso than he would elsewhere, and that would cause a slip in performance.

The reason's why Millar was designated # 4 prior to the season were: he has a high carreer OBP, a penchant for working the count and having quality AB's, is a RH batter with some pop, was 3rd on the club last year in HR.

I personally prefer to have Markakis batting 4th.
But really, what does that change? He'd be one batter further removed from Roberts, so he'd have a decent drop off in RBI opportunities. He'd still have one of Millar, Huff, or Scott batting behind him, so he wouldn't see better pitches than he is now.

Really, I'm fine with the argument of "Millar isn't a good #4 hitter." He's not. What I don't agree with is that "if we rearrange the lineup, we'll be a markedly better team." An argument I would agree with (although I'd say there isn't a legit solution available right now) is that "we need to go out and find a legit #4 hitter."

But really, what does that change? He'd be one batter further removed from Roberts, so he'd have a decent drop off in RBI opportunities. He'd still have one of Millar, Huff, or Scott batting behind him, so he wouldn't see better pitches than he is now.

Really, I'm fine with the argument of "Millar isn't a good #4 hitter." He's not. What I don't agree with is that "if we rearrange the lineup, we'll be a markedly better team." An argument I would agree with (although I'd say there isn't a legit solution available right now) is that "we need to go out and find a legit #4 hitter."

Actually a good RH bat like a Marcus Thames would do. He could platoon with Huff at DH, spot start in LF with Scott and PH. It would be a big help.

Archived