Loewen to DL, Torres Recalled

dkdc

I'm thinking Olsen too, because we need Albers in the pen pretty badly. It's one thing to give him a spot start, but a whole other deal to put him in the rotation.

In the meantime, DT gets to pinch hit for both LH and Fahey in the same game and not have to put Melmo at SS.

Maybe Roch will help us with this some time before the game.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Beat me to it. Unless someone here has talked to MacPhail or Trembley so that they might at least try to understand the reasoning, it's ridiculous of them to just outright slam the move here. Torres is hitting much better than Terrero who has gone into a major funk and seen his average drop over 100 points in the last couple of weeks. We have a right handed fourth outfielder, in Payton - who has performed exceptionally well in that role, by the way - but our only utility infielder, Fahey, is a lefty. So, bringing up a right handed utility infielder makes much more sense than a career AAAA outfielder. Especially when the infielder is hitting better than the outfielder. And, if Roberts is traded, Torres could become our starting second baseman for the rest of the season, so this gives the brain trust a chance to see him more before that happens. And, since Loewen's spot in the rotation doesn't come up for four days, they have plenty of time to make a move related to pitching.

All the doom and gloomers should take a deep breath and realize that who the 25th man on the roster is will not be a make or break decision this season and move on.

I think this is right on the mark. And, I believe that Torres is a switch-batter (notice I didn't say switch-hitter).

I'm thinking Olsen too, because we need Albers in the pen pretty badly. It's one thing to give him a spot start, but a whole other deal to put him in the rotation.

In the meantime, DT gets to pinch hit for both LH and Fahey in the same game and not have to put Melmo at SS.

Maybe Roch will help us with this some time before the game.

Why do they need Albers in the bullpen and bring up that 13th pitcher? Both Cabrera and Guthrie have been stretching it out and you have Johnson on the team for long relief.

Torres was outrighted in October, when we had the burn fest that sent nearly 15 players off the roster and out of the organization.

Ha! Beat you to it. You have taught me well, oh CrazySilver.

Torres was already on the 40-man. Maybe they'll just keep him until they need a starter again.

That's what I think. In three days, another pitcher will be called up and one of Torres, Fahey or Hernandez will be sent down. It's silly to bring up Moore and then send him back 3 days from now - he's better served being in the lineup every day. Terrero isn't on the 40-man and has no options, so once he's up you can't send him down without exposing him to waivers. This move makes all the sense in the world to me, especially since Torres is playing very well right now.

Why do they need Albers in the bullpen and bring up that 13th pitcher? Both Cabrera and Guthrie have been stretching it out and you have Johnson on the team for long relief.

I consider him to be one of the best relievers we currently have. I hope Johnson has turned a corner in his career and is ready to be part of this pen, but it's still early. And Trax and Brian Burres seem like 5, 6 or 7 inning guys pretty much.

That's what I think. In three days, another pitcher will be called up and one of Torres, Fahey or Hernandez will be sent down. It's silly to bring up Moore and then send him back 3 days from now - he's better served being in the lineup every day. Terrero isn't on the 40-man and has no options, so once he's up you can't send him down without exposing him to waivers. This move makes all the sense in the world to me, especially since Torres is playing very well right now.

Torres has 2 options remaining, so this probably played a part.

Salazar has 1 option remaining.

Terrero has 0 options as stated.

One good thing about having Torres around is that it might lead to some days off for Roberts. Of course, Fahey could have given him a breather; but maybe DT will feel more comfortable with Torres in that role.

They also need to find a way to get Mora some rest. I hope Aubrey is taking some ground ball practice.

I consider him to be one of the best relievers we currently have. I hope Johnson has turned a corner in his career and is ready to be part of this pen, but it's still early. And Trax and Brian Burres seem like 5, 6 or 7 inning guys pretty much.

What needs to be addressed is Greg Aquino... who is this years Scott Williamson. Aquino has been in 5 games for 6 innings so far this year.

Its obvious they should pick up Olson. BTW..Did anyone notice that Torres is a shortstop from Maracaibo, Venezuela? Just so happens to be the hometown of another Oriole SS named.....Luis Aparicio...and hes only 25,....HMMMMMMMM....Just wondering if its an omen.

Fixed that for ya... I hear the word Police are about this afternoon... :)

I just wanted to be the 1 billionth person to say how crazy it is to have Torres, LH and Fahey on roster at the same time and how curious of a move this is...

Isn't the bigger news here that Loewen is going on the DL? I just hope this is more soreness from not pitching in a year or else I'm starting to think we got a dud in Loewen. He says it isn't serious but it may be wishful thinking on his part.

The Orioles announced today that they have placed left-handed pitcher Adam Loewen on the 15-day disabled list with left elbow soreness. Infielder Eider Torres was called up from Triple-A Norfolk to fill Loewen's spot on the roster.

"It's starting to get worse in the general area of my forearm," said Loewen, visibly distraught as he spoke to reporters. "It just starts off as a dull pain and gets sharper as I get on. I'll probably get it looked at. Hopefully, it's nothing serious, I don't think it is."

When he was removed from the game, Loewen complained of forearm discomfort in his pitching arm that he claims is unrelated to the stress fracture in his elbow that required surgery last June.

So is it the elbow or the freaking forearm?

Source

Archived