vs. TIGERS, 5/15

Sessh

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, but you didn't say you were using information from 21 plate appearances while ignoring what he did last year.

Considering the sample size I think using the cumulative data from 2015-2016 is likely to be more representational of his ability.

At the least you should have specified the data sample because it sounded to me as if you were drawing on his lifetime numbers.

I have referenced it in other threads that this year he is Cla Rapada. I guess we'll find out who the real Givens is. I'm not convinced it was the guy from last year. LHB are seeing him way too well.

You mean 316/385/439/823 right?

Or do the innings he pitched last year (more than this year year's sample size) not count?

You do know that LHB put up a 555 OPS against him last year right?

I don't want to get all statty in the game thread but when you post misleading information...

Also, I don't think his career line is a ringing endorsement that he should pitch against LHB in high leverage situations. I'm not sure you are suggesting those career numbers are A-OK.

I have referenced it in other threads that this year he is Cla Rapada. I guess we'll find out who the real Givens is. I'm not convinced it was the guy from last year. LHB are seeing him way too well.

I know what you have referenced. If this was the first time you said things like "He should never face a LHB I would have let it pass, like I did the other times.

Right now his numbers, in a very small sample size, this season, with an outrageous BABIP, are very poor against LHB.

Last season they were dandy in a large, but still small, sample size.

I expect him to end up somewhere in between.

Which would make him more than a ROOGY.

Ian Locke

Norfolk got a strong start from T.J. McFarland and took advantage of a key error by Buffalo in a 2-1 win over the Bisons Sunday afternoon at Harbor Park.

McFarland (1-0) turned in a Tides season-high 7.2 innings of work, scattering seven hits while allowing one run. He walked one without striking out a batter, with the only damage against him coming on a solo homer by former Tide Junior Lake in the second inning.

McFarland, who only needed 88 pitches in the outing, was aided by three double plays turned behind him. He allowed just two fly outs while inducing 14 ground ball outs and owns a 0.69 ERA (1 ER, 13.0 IP) through two starts since being optioned to Norfolk from Baltimore.

The Tides plated their only two runs in the second inning, courtesy of a crucial error by Bisons starting pitcher Drew Hutchison (0-2). The Tides loaded the bases with one out against Hutchison before Sharlon Schoop hit a potential inning-ending double play grounder back to the mound. Hutchison’s throw home sailed over the head of catcher A.J. Jimenez, however, allowing Trey Mancini and Dariel Alvarez to score and give Norfolk the only runs they would need.

Alvarez had two hits to pace the Tides, who picked up their first series win since a two-game sweep of Indianapolis on April 27-28.

Pedro Beato worked a scoreless ninth inning to earn his second save of the season. Beato now owns a 1.93 ERA through 17 games pitched – a total that leads the International League.

Archived