Pirates cut Matt Morris

Sports Guy

The Matt Morris trade might just be the capper in Dave Littlefield's inglorious résumé of bad moves. It comes down between this and the Aramis Ramirez trade, which could be mitigated somewhat as a gun-to-head salary dump.

Some have described the trade as a desperation move by a guy trying to save his job, but that really makes no sense. Taking back the entirety of Morris's $10M contract was more like someone who knows he's about to get pink-slipped hiding a turd in his boss's office on his way out the door. This trade wasn't just inept; it was malicious.

At any rate, the right move by Coonely and Huntington — resoundingly so.

Right move, but it still hurts hard.

That was such a dumb move by the Pirates front office last year. For once, the Giants werent the suckers in a trade.

I doubt they will have luck pulling a similar move with Zito this year. :D

Right move, but it still hurts hard.

That was such a dumb move by the Pirates front office last year. For once, the Giants werent the suckers in a trade.

FWIW the Giants got back Rajai Davis who they released earlier this year. He was hitting well under .200. Now they were not paying him 10mil but as far as talent and on the field production the trade was a rub.

It was the right move for the Pirates. They sent a huge shockwave through clubhouse and I think a lot of guys are going to up their game now if they even can. This was the first right move of many that need to be made for this organization.

It was the right move for the Pirates... the first right move of many that need to be made for this organization.

I would argue that the Pirates have taken a number of positive steps (committing to DR scouting, standing pat over the winter rather than selling low on Bay and Nady, giving McLouth [and Ryan Doumit for that matter] regular playing time) since Coonely and Huntington have taken over. This is certainly the most visible, though.

I would argue that the Pirates have taken a number of positive steps (committing to DR scouting, standing pat over the winter rather than selling low on Bay and Nady, giving McLouth [and Ryan Doumit for that matter] regular playing time) since Coonely and Huntington have taken over. This is certainly the most visible, though.

conceded...

I'm not sure it is a smart move. Who do they have to replace him? Vogelsang? Vogelsang isn't much if any better. This is a misapplication of sinking a cost.
Considering he retired today rather than try to pitch anymore, I think its quite obvious and inarguable that it was the right move, if not the only move.

I'm not sure it is a smart move. Who do they have to replace him? Vogelsang? Vogelsang isn't much if any better. This is a misapplication of sinking a cost.

You're disregarding the symbolic value of the move for this franchise. But to answer your question:

Ryan Vogelsang's been gone for a long time. John Van Benschoten has already been called up. Sean Burnett won't be far behind.

They also have a number of washed-up 30-something arms down in Indy (Casey Fossum, Elmer Dessens and Jared Wright) who could ably replicate what Morris was doing at the major league level. I imagine some patchwork of all five of these guys will account for the 5-slot for the rest of the season. They can do no worse than Morris.

Where it gets ugly is if Tom Gorzelanny winds up on the DL at some point, which I strongly suspect he will.

Considering he retired today rather than try to pitch anymore, I think its quite obvious and inarguable that it was the right move, if not the only move.

Eh, because he is a useless pitcher. That is why he retired. His replacement is also useless. Therefore, nothing was accomplished by disposing of him. At least, he has a track record of knowing how to pitch.

Archived