anyone else not sold on Sherrill as closer?

DocJJ

Lefties are 1 for 15 with a single off Sherrill so far.

He's going to continue to struggle a bit with righties, but he'll be effective enough as the closer.

I really liked what he did last night: he pitched around a dangerous righty to get to a lefty to finish off the game.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could we really get that much for Sherrill?

Last year Eric Gagne was traded for Kason Gabbard, David Murphy and Engel Beltre.

In 2006 Bob Wickman was traded for Max Ramirez.

Maybe Sherrill would get you more than these two, if he performs well, becuase he's cheaper. But two major league ready position players? I don't know about that.

David Murphy is playing very well; Gabbard is a serviceable #5; and Beltre is a nice prospect. And Max Ramirez is also a good prospect.

Here are my concerns about Sherrill:

1) He has never thrown more than 45.2 innings in a season...He is currently on pace to throw about 60 innings.

2) He is going to face a lot more righties...Only in 2004 did Sherrill pitched to more righties than lefties...He has basically been a LOOGY. Now, he has had decent success versus righties(712 OPS) but the OBP against him is 370 for righties.

3) His GB/FB rate gets worse every year...Before he was in Safeco and it wasn't as bad because it is a big park but it figures to be worse in Baltimore because of OPACY and higher humidity.

So, increased workload, seeing more righties and his GB rates worry me a lot for the long term. Not to mention, he isn't exactly young either.

So, I think he should be dealt provided the right deal is on the table.

Just to add to this...His BB rate has always been pretty high as well and thus far, 2008 is no exception.

Here are my concerns about Sherrill:

1) He has never thrown more than 45.2 innings in a season...He is currently on pace to throw about 60 innings.

2) He is going to face a lot more righties...Only in 2004 did Sherrill pitched to more righties than lefties...He has basically been a LOOGY. Now, he has had decent success versus righties(712 OPS) but the OBP against him is 370 for righties.

3) His GB/FB rate gets worse every year...Before he was in Safeco and it wasn't as bad because it is a big park but it figures to be worse in Baltimore because of OPACY and higher humidity.

So, increased workload, seeing more righties and his GB rates worry me a lot for the long term. Not to mention, he isn't exactly young either.

So, I think he should be dealt provided the right deal is on the table.

Agreed on all accounts. But I thought humidity caused balls to travel shorter distances than arid environments?

Agreed on all accounts. But I thought humidity caused balls to travel shorter distances than arid environments?

I don't think so....They always talk about how the ball carries more in Baltimore and Texas(just 2 examples) as it gets warmer and more humid.

David Murphy is playing very well; Gabbard is a serviceable #5; and Beltre is a nice prospect. And Max Ramirez is also a good prospect.

And if you think you could get anywhere near that for my brother, then please set down the pipe and step away.

For one, everyone will have the same stats that you have. Yes, the saves will add value. However, remember, he was only 20% of the trade for Bedard. So, if he ends up at 40-50% of the value of Bedard some how, what is that valued at? I don't think it is Kason Gabbard and David Murphy, even though that isn't much. Gabbard is, or at least was, on the DL, and the O's just happened to make him look like a king for a day.

Also, the reason why the fly ball tendencies are a little higher, besides what I mentioned earlier, is that he doesn't throw a heavy fastball or sinker. He pitches to contact with many of the guys mis-hitting the balls, due to movement and not picking up what type of pitch it is. In Safeco, there weren't that many times when he had fly balls that would have been out of other parks. In '06, he didn't allow a home run.

He has given up some warning track outs, not many. Go back and look though, at good contact. A hard swing can take a ball far, not matter what, however you do have to look at the type of contact made. Especially last night, K, flailing slow roller to third, walk, top spin heavy ball that Markakis had to come in a couple of steps for.

Whether he is traded or not, doesn't matter to me, as long as he is appreciated for doing his job, that he has been given to do.

I was reading "The Physics of Baseball" recently, and the author says that because water vapor is lighter than air (which is why it's suspended in the air to begin with), balls will generally fly a bit further in a humid environment.

But I thought humidity caused balls to travel shorter distances than arid environments?

Humid air is less dense than dry air (an H2O molecule has less mass than an N2, O2, or CO2 molecule), so the ball has less resistance.

However, balls stored in dry air are "bouncier" than ones stored in humid air. That's why balls are stored in a humidor at Coors Field.

I have a lot more confidence in the 9th with him on the mound then I do with Ray.

The question is, would you have said that in June 2006? Remember, Ray saved 18 games that year before he ever blew one. If you had been judging Ray in mid-June 2006, based on 2.5 months of games, you might have concluded that he was untouchable. So be careful in judging Sherrill based on one month's worth of games.

I was reading "The Physics of Baseball" recently, and the author says that because water vapor is lighter than air (which is why it's suspended in the air to begin with), balls will generally fly a bit further in a humid environment.

You need to tell that to the people in AZ and CO then. They put the balls in a humidifier in CO, in order to keep the ball from flying as far. AZ has no humidity almost, but that ball will get out of the stadium in a heartbeat -- especially the open air ones, ST and minors.

Hmm, I guess what confuses me is Coors Fields humidor that's designed to counter balance the thin air.

I think many of us got spoiled watching the likes of Olson, Randy Lee Myers, and then BJ Ryan come in and dominate as closer. Sherrill gets the job done. He's the least concerning of all the pitchers in my mind.

C'mon now John...it's Randall Kirk Myers.;)

The question is, would you have said that in June 2006? Remember, Ray saved 18 games that year before he ever blew one. If you had been judging Ray in mid-June 2006, based on 2.5 months of games, you might have concluded that he was untouchable. So be careful in judging Sherrill based on one month's worth of games.
Personally, i like Ray a lot more than Sherrill.

Sherrill can stay the closer but only because i think Ray is the better pitcher and I would rather have him getting the key outs in the other innings.

Archived