What Moves Would You Make To Improve The Rotation?

crawjo

I thought about this a bit.

I think at this point you DFA Ubaldo. It's not worth any amount of effort to try and rehab him in season. We're talking about months now of futility/inconsistency. He's not going to be trusted in the bullpen. Putting him in the bullpen doesn't fix Ubaldo being a disaster in the first inning.

It sucks, because I like Ubaldo the person. I don't like Ubaldo the pitcher. It was a bad signing at the time. And now we're stuck with his contract for another year and a half. At this point you assume he's not going to get better...and just go with better options.

On top of that, I'm not convinced Duensing is going to be used as a LOOGY by Buck. And honestly, his stuff just isn't playing here. Cut him, move on. This team can't afford a LOOGY when their starters can barely go 5 IP.

If you're keeping track: DFA Ubaldo, DFA Duensing.

I'm not entirely down on Mike Wright as a 5th starter. He's been a typical 5th starter. Inconsistent, but sometimes twirling a good start.

Call up Oliver Drake to replace Duensing.

Call up Odrisamer Despaigne to replace Ubaldo.

Give Gallardo more time to rehab. When he's ready, call him up to replace either Despaigne or Wright.

I'm really not convinced TJ McFarland is a major league pitcher. We're going on 4 straight seasons with a hit rate approaching 11 per 9. And a strikeout rate that isn't anything to write home about. This year he has reverse splits. Just what value does he have? And no, eating innings and being ineffective is not value. That game yesterday was a winnable game and McFarland came in and crapped all over it.

In a perfect world, McFarland isn't on this roster. I think that happens when O'Day comes back. Maybe Wright to the bullpen if Despaigne and Gallardo are effective or even remotely serviceable. This bullpen needs a solid B corps, because the C corps is terrible.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ubaldo to the bullpen. Call up Despaigne. DFA Janish, go back to 3 man bench/8-man bullpen (Janish really serves no purpose as Flaherty can hit LHP just as well as Janish. 8-man bullpen would allow us to carry Ubaldo without hurting our bullpen depth.).

Activate Gallardo when ready. Wilson down.

Activate O'Day when ready. Duensing DFA.

Rotation would be Tillman, Gausman, Gallardo, Wright, Despaigne. Not awful if Gallardo is healthy. Gunkel and Hess are the next men up depending on how Wright and Despaigne are doing. Duensing and Janish would clear spots on the 40-man. You could also put Worley in the rotation and bring up Drake, but that would be "robbing Peter to pay Paul" as Buck says.

Bullpen would be what we have had all year plus Ubaldo to pitch very low leverage and help keep Brach et al fresh.

We would lose the ability to start Janish against RHP and emergency situations could get tricky but they would only be for one game. Flaherty backs up SS, Alvarez backs up 3B.

assuming there isn't a magic solution out there in the trade market, this is what i would do:

1. Release jimenez. Those costs are sunk at this point, as far as i can see. I like that the dodgers cut ties with carl crawford. We should do the same with jimenez.

2. Move worley into the rotation. I think he's capable of giving up less than a 5.00 era in that role if we limit him to five or six innings per start. This would be a significant improvement over jimenez. On the down side, we'd lose worley as the long-relief option, but i feel that it should be easier to find a replacement in that category from the minors, the trade market, or the waiver wire.

3. Move wright into the bullpen when gallardo returns. I think with his velocity he profiles as a useful bullpen piece who might be able to help us right now, especially if worley is in the rotation.

Beyond that, we have to look for a trade opportunity. The rotation as presently constructed is not good enough to win a championship. The bullpen and lineup are good enough. We don't necessarily need a true ace, but we do need a reliable starting pitcher who can give us an era under 4.00 or thereabouts. That will not come cheap.

nothing. Nothing can be done. We all knew this is what we were in for. No surprises at all this year with the starting rotation. You fix pitching in offseason.

If the FO released Gonzo because he was too expensive and they wanted to dump his salary -- no way will they be willing to eat up 2 years of Ubaldo's salary. Face it, we're stuck with him. Put Ubaldo in the pen and hope that Ramon Martinez can find a way to rehabilitate him.

I do hope Ubaldo can well in the BP.

Unfortunately, the only way to improve the starting pitching is to do the same thing that caused us to be in this bad situation in the first place. We don't have the elite prospects or depth to trade for a TOR or even mid-rotation starter. And we know Duquette will absolutely make at least one trade before the deadline, so I think it's obvious we're looking at trading 2-3 of our more marketable prospects (Sisco, Reyes, Mancini, Hess, Lee) for a Bud Norris type back end starter. Which is exactly what got us to this point of no pitching depth. I get more nervous in anticipation of July 31 every year than I do at tax day...

So then what should we do? Punt on this season and hope to improve things next year when Bundy is ready to join the rotation? Because the starting rotation as currently constituted is not going to cut it.

Ubaldo to the bullpen. Call up Despaigne. DFA Janish, go back to 3 man bench/8-man bullpen (Janish really serves no purpose as Flaherty can hit LHP just as well as Janish. 8-man bullpen would allow us to carry Ubaldo without hurting our bullpen depth.).

Rotation would be Tillman, Gausman, Gallardo, Wright, Despaigne. Not awful if Gallardo is healthy. Gunkel and Hess are the next men up depending on how Wright and Despaigne are doing. Duensing and Janish would clear spots on the 40-man. You could also put Worley in the rotation and bring up Drake, but that would be "robbing Peter to pay Paul" as Buck says.

Bullpen would be what we have had all year plus Ubaldo to pitch very low leverage and help keep Brach et al fresh.

We would lose the ability to start Janish against RHP and emergency situations could get tricky but they would only be for one game. Flaherty backs up SS, Alvarez backs up 3B.

I like this, though I'm surprised you'd keep Wright in the rotation over Wilson.

Can't let go of Janish with Manny suspension looming.

Why Wilson to the minors?

Can't let go of Janish with Manny suspension looming.

Why Wilson to the minors?

Doh. Forgot about the Manny suspension. In that case, maybe give Worley a spot start while Manny is serving the suspension, then DFA Janish.

I really like Tyler Wilson but he seems to be struggling consistently. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Wilson at some point in the season, but he is optionable to there is no real downside to sending him to the minors. Same with Wright, so I could see the argument for sending either guy down. At least Wright is capable of the occasional good start. In the meantime, give Despaigne or Gunkel a shot to see if either can do better. When August comes around, we should have an idea of who would be the best bet to lock down the #5 slot.

Archived