Jim Callis of BA's 5/18 mock draft

markpolis

Sorry I quote the wrong person.:eek: I should of quoted geschinger who had said "

I believe that the biggest misconception about the Orioles is that there is enogh pitching in the system. There isn't, not by a long shot. Problem is we're in even worse shape when it comes to bats which is why I'd prefer a bat but that doesn't negate the fact that we still need (alot) more high quality pitching in the system."

I'm curious as to why would you take offense? While we've got some nice arms in the system it's not like we're loaded. We could definately use more pitching in the organization. I think most of us believe that we need hitting more than we need pitching but the article that davearm links to makes a decent case that maybe that isn't so.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think the Orioles wish they had Stephen Drew or Jared Weaver right now?

Screw who his agent is, you take the best possible talent and spend the money to get him.

But you have to know what he wants and know if you will pay it...You can not draft a player without knowing that.

Screw who his agent is, you take the best possible talent and spend the money to get him.

But you have to know what he wants and know if you will pay it...You can not draft a player without knowing that.

The problem is that no team would or should be willing to pay what Boras will ask for. The question is will Boras compromise enough before the player goes back into the draft pool. Sometimes it works out ok (Drew/Weaver) and sometimes it doesn't (Varitek/JD Drew). But regardless its going to be a battle as we can't know at draft time which players Boras is willing to compromise with and which ones he's not.

The problem is that no team would or should be willing to pay what Boras will ask for. The question is will Boras compromise enough before the player goes back into the draft pool. Sometimes it works out ok (Drew/Weaver) and sometimes it doesn't (Varitek/JD Drew). But regardless its going to be a battle as we can't know at draft time which players Boras is willing to compromise with and which ones he's not.

I sorta agree. I just want the O's to go with the best talent available they can sign.

Tough...They do anyway.

If Weiters is the guy you want and you think he can shoot through the system and start here by the time Ramon is gone(or before if you move Ramon), then you draft him.

MLB needs to change the salary structure of the draft like the NBA eventually did...Until that happens, you deal with this.

One thing i will say...For those saying we have the money because of no second or third rounder, i would prefer them to spread the money out and draft guys who dropped in the draft into the later rounds than blow their wad on one guy in the first round.

Tough...They do anyway.

If Weiters is the guy you want and you think he can shoot through the system and start here by the time Ramon is gone(or before if you move Ramon), then you draft him.

That is the thing, they don't. Jeff Weaver was asking for a Prior like $10m package at the begining. It dropped to $6m than $5.5m and he eventually signed ($4m bonus) for less than half of what he intially demanded. The Angels held firm and Boras/Weaver compromised.

Likewise, Stephen Drew was demanding a deal similar to the deal that Teixeira signed (~9.5m in guaranteed money). He ended up with a $4m bonus and $5.5m guranteed.

The Angels and DBacks got lucky that with Jared Weaver and Drew that Boras decided that getting their careers started was more important than trying to fleece the respective teams. The problem is when you draft a Boras client you have no idea if compromise is possible or if Boras would rather send the player back into the draft than take a penny less than what he demands.

It's a crapshoot... Because Boras failed to get the monster bonuses w/Drew and Weaver does he feel he has to be tougher and make it much more likely that Weiters ends up more like Varitek and JD Drew? Or is Weiters more likely to compromise like Stephen Drew and Weaver. It's a tough call.

MLB needs to change the salary structure of the draft like the NBA eventually did...Until that happens, you deal with this.

I could not agree more.

I'm hearing Max Scherzer ia a player on our list at #5.

Interesting. Wouldn't be my first choice.

I honestly don't know a lot about him but this blog entry has a couple of tidbits I find troubling:

Scherzer Dominates Sports

“He was throwing 92-98, but it was straight,” the scout said. “The slider was still a below-average pitch, and the prevailing word was that he better take Arizona’s money.”

Few details have emerged from Scherzer’s negotiations with the Diamondbacks. The club is believed to have made an offer in the $3 million range, while Scherzer and agent Scott Boras are thought to be seeking roughly twice as much, probably in the form of a big league contract.

Ive been saying this all along. Amen.

Take the best player. Why draft a #2 or 3 starter with the 5th pick? That doesnt make much sense to me

I would take the best hitter or best LHP. You can't go wrong with Detwiler. Wieters is an interesting player from GT. Some say that Tampa is considering taking him with their 1st pick instead of Price. The mock draft posted on Friday by Callis says he could slip to 17? Not a chance. He is rated in most mock drafts as a top 5 pick. Wieters or Moustakas would be my first choice. Angelos will push for Moustakas because of his Greek heritage and the fact that he is another future star like Markakis. If both are gone I would take Detwiler. Maybe a miracle will happen and Price will slip to us with the 5th pick. Stranger things have happened.

We will get another outstanding young player with this pick. Would we take Rick Porcello, right handed power pitcher with number 5 if Price, Vitters, Wieters and Detwiler are gone in the first 4 picks, or do we go with Moustakas? Tough decision. I would go with Moustakas because he is an everyday player at short. He could also move to 1B.

I would take the best hitter or best LHP. You can't go wrong with Detwiler. Wieters is an interesting player from GT. Some say that Tampa is considering taking him with their 1st pick instead of Price. The mock draft posted on Friday by Callis says he could slip to 17? Not a chance. He is rated in most mock drafts as a top 5 pick. Wieters or Moustakas would be my first choice. Angelos will push for Moustakas because of his Greek heritage and the fact that he is another future star like Markakis. If both are gone I would take Detwiler. Maybe a miracle will happen and Price will slip to us with the 5th pick. Stranger things have happened.

We will get another outstanding young player with this pick. Would we take Rick Porcello, right handed power pitcher with number 5 if Price, Vitters, Wieters and Detwiler are gone in the first 4 picks, or do we go with Moustakas? Tough decision. I would go with Moustakas because he is an everyday player at short. He could also move to 1B.

He plays SS on his high school team, just as Rowell and Snyder did in high school. Moustakas does not project to be a SS in professional baseball.

If you (the Orioles) are projecting Moustakas as a firstbasemen in the pros, then there is no way you take him at #5.

The strength of our minor league pitching is moot. To me, with your first round pick you always need to draft the best player available, regardless of the "needs" or your organization, especially when you're pick is as low as ours (5th) and no 2nd or 3rd round pick.

The strength of our minor league pitching is moot. To me, with your first round pick you always need to draft the best player available, regardless of the "needs" or your organization, especially when you're pick is as low as ours (5th) and no 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Agreed, with my only caveat being that ties go to the hitters. :D

I can't imagine there would ever be a 'tie', but my point is that I'd prefer a hitter with all things being equal.

Archived