Jim Callis of BA's 5/18 mock draft

markpolis

Well...this ain't happening. He signed with the D'Backs as a draft and follow:

http://bdd.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2007/5/31/2986859.html

Yeah, he received a guaranteed ML contract worth 4.5 million. The DBacks hava a wealth of talent in their system and a tremendous nucleus of young talent at the ML level as well. This signing goes to show you that they value these young players quite highly.

Personally I would not have taken him, but I am not making the pick am I? :D

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, he received a guaranteed ML contract worth 4.5 million. The DBacks hava a wealth of talent in their system and a tremendous nucleus of young talent at the ML level as well. This signing goes to show you that they value these young players quite highly.

Personally I would not have taken him, but I am not making the pick am I? :D

I believe it was a 4 year deal worth $4.3. This from BA:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/264039.html

The more important aspect of this deal is that many teams are willing to go over slot and pay for the player they want. I really don't feel the new system regarding draft pick compensation will really effect Boras from extorting top dollar from teams.

Given the opportunity, I hope the Orioles take the best player available (hopefully Wieters) and not worry about Boras.

Agreed. I really would hope that Wieters falls to us and we take him. I am so sick of hearing about how we can't deal with Boras.

I agree....Wieters would be a great catch if he slips a notch or two. As for dealing with Scott Boras, all you need is a little more money than normal....and apparently the O's now have the extra cash. Hopefully they will spend it wisely.

The more important aspect of this deal is that many teams are willing to go over slot and pay for the player they want. I really don't feel the new system regarding draft pick compensation will really effect Boras from extorting top dollar from teams.

Given the opportunity, I hope the Orioles take the best player available (hopefully Wieters) and not worry about Boras.

Thanks for the update. Good points as usual Mark. I imagine BA will have a Mock 2.0 out soon and I can't wait. Btw, the latest BA prospect tracker is out and Brackman has fallen on hard times. I never liked him at #5, and now it seems he will not be considered that early anyway.

The new system gives teams a bit more leverage. If this was next year the DBacks might have decided getting as good a pick the following year is better than only getting a supp.

I don't know what Max's original demands were but I've been impressed with how teams have held firm w/Boras in recent years. The problem is you never really know for sure if you have a player willing to compromise to start his career (Jared Weaver / Stephen Drew) or one who is not (JD Drew / Jason Varitek). It's a huge gamble. The decision that the draftor has to make is that when its all said and done, will Weiters eventually sign for ~4m or will he refuse to sign and go back into the draft if he doesn't get the $5-$10m he is demanding. It's easier to take that risk if you get a top 5 pick next year for failing to sign him.

*Note: I am just guesstimating Weiters demands. I have no idea what Boras might be demanding.

Thanks for the update. Good points as usual Mark. I imagine BA will have a Mock 2.0 out soon and I can't wait. Btw, the latest BA prospect tracker is out and Brackman has fallen on hard times. I never liked him at #5, and now it seems he will not be considered that early anyway.

Greg,

They haven't done a new mock draft, but their latest draft tracker has some other newsworthy moves. (other than Brackman)

Their top 5 prospects are:

1 - Price,

2 - Porcello (previously 3),

3 - Wieters (4),

4 - Moustakas (6),

5 - Vitters (2),

6 - Heyward (6)

I know this doesn't correspond to the teams picking 1-5, but if the Pirates do select Moustakas at #4, then perhaps Vitters would fall to us at #5.

It's also interesting to see Heyward make such a big jump so late in the process. I'd love to see the Orioles select Vitters or Heyward with their pick.

A thing to remember with the new CBA is if you don;t sign your first round pick you get a comp pick in next years draft at the same slot.

Also the deadline to sign is now in August, so no more waiting all year to see if a player can milk more money out of a team.

Greg,

They haven't done a new mock draft, but their latest draft tracker has some other newsworthy moves. (other than Brackman)

Their top 5 prospects are:

1 - Price,

2 - Porcello (previously 3),

3 - Wieters (4),

4 - Moustakas (6),

5 - Vitters (2),

6 - Heyward (6)

I know this doesn't correspond to the teams picking 1-5, but if the Pirates do select Moustakas at #4, then perhaps Vitters would fall to us at #5.

It's also interesting to see Heyward make such a big jump so late in the process. I'd love to see the Orioles select Vitters or Heyward with their pick.

Yeah, I saw that info, and seeing Heyward rise is /was expected. We really are in a great position to get one of Vitters/Moustakas/Heyward and I hope Jordan picks one over Detwiler. I still expect Vitters to be gone by #5.

Archived