Orioles looking for FSL team

sonderweg

Well the earliest anything could happen is 2011, since the Orioles signed a contract with all their affiliates that take them through 2010.

But I think the agreement is with the franchise, not the franchise's city or town. I believe the Keys' lease for Harry Grove Stadium expires in March 2009. So could the team still move?

what are the odds they end up in Sarasota? :D

Aside from personal preference, the minor league facility is there (as I've sadly only learned recently) and while the Reds stadium there is in need of a tune up, Sarasota provides a ridiculous setting for the 'Los to entertain his entourage...

Haven't the Orioles/Keys and Frederick had something of a rocky relationship? I know the playing field was an embarrasment a couple of years back. Still, at first glance, I don't see the advantage of having a FSL affiliate instead of a Carolina League team.

Yeah, that's the only circumstance under which I think any of this makes sense - the rocky relationship with Frederick, at least when it was under Comcast ownership.

Personally, living here in Frederick, I can see the appeal of putting a team in Florida. It's nice and warm there this time of year. But there are so many other expenses involved in placing a team that far from the rest of the affiliates that I question if it's ultimately feasible.

On the other hand, I have been reading this site for several years now and they've usually been very accurate and ahead of the game in their reporting. So there's got to be *something* to it - and I would remind everyone, the article admits this is "informed speculation."

It makes sense if they could ever go through with their plans to upgrade Bowie and Frederick to AAA and AA respectively, coupled with the idea of recouping some operating expense by having a team to play there, not just in spring training. The hangups there include that there is no way to cram the minimum required seats into Bowie (they seat about 8k now max and need 10k min to be considered for AAA), and I would guess they have the same problem in Frederick. With all of the work to get all of our affiliates closer to home to make it easier on scouting, and tracking, why would we now move a team that far away? Maybe AM just needs to work on his tan ;)

I would think the Orioles are moving out of Ft. Lauderdale to find a home in Florida for their majors and minors to be together, however, I don't think they would move the team. Look at the Astros, their camp is together in Kissimmee, FL and it is an extremely nice stadium that is not used during the FSL season. The same goes for Bradenton, which I heard just got a really nice upgrade from the Pirates and I believe it too having been to the minor league camp. Personally I think that they should move the camp to a stadium facility and maybe rent the stadium out to an independent league team down in Florida after Spring Training is over. Lets face it, once the big league team leaves Florida end of March, noone uses it and most independent league seasons don't start until May or Mid April. But again I don't know if this is possible.

I really find the travel costs of this prohibitive. It also hurts all the fans around here who can follow these teams.

To follow minor league baseball you really gotta be at the games to see the players. I only started going to games in the past few years and I follow the Minors way more closely than I did before going to games.

Not only is it moving out of Frederick, its also taking away oppourtunities to see them play at Potomac, Wilmington, and down in VA. Just this year, everyone on here is talking about Wieters etc, if they were in FL I feel less ppl would be optimistic about the future, bc they can not see them play.

You can't [have two A+ affiliates]. It means Frederick would be out.

I think it's more accurate to say "they won't". There's no rule prohibiting an organization from having multiple teams in the same classification. It might be impermissable to have multiple teams in the same league, since that could really screw up the competition.

But considering the shallowness of positional talent in the O's system now, adding an 8th US team would be completely useless - they'd have to sign an entire roster of players from the independent and softball leagues.

I really find the travel costs of this prohibitive. It also hurts all the fans around here who can follow these teams.

To follow minor league baseball you really gotta be at the games to see the players. I only started going to games in the past few years and I follow the Minors way more closely than I did before going to games.

Not only is it moving out of Frederick, its also taking away oppourtunities to see them play at Potomac, Wilmington, and down in VA. Just this year, everyone on here is talking about Wieters etc, if they were in FL I feel less ppl would be optimistic about the future, bc they can not see them play.

I don't know. A lot of organizations have their affiliates all over the map.

It would absolutely hurt the local fans who wanted to follow the O's minor leaguers. But I don't know how important that is to the organization if the alternative is making or saving money. The MLB affilation for minor league teams doesn't have much effect on attendance.

If the Orioles add a third A ball team, then that means there's a team with only one. By rule each team needs one full-season team at each level. The more this gets even discussed the more preposterous it becomes to me.

If the Orioles add a third A ball team, then that means there's a team with only one. By rule each team needs one full-season team at each level. The more this gets even discussed the more preposterous it becomes to me.

If they add an FSL team, Frederick would be gone. (not the city, just the affiliation).

The Orioles should be during two rebuildings right now. One rebuilding the organization with young players and two rebuilding the bridge between the orgainization and its fans.

The Orioles can rebuild team and pack the stadium with bandwagon fans or they can rebuild the team and welcome back casual Oriole fans who have felt left out by the ownership.

The Orioles give thier home area fans and base a chance to watch the players grow. The fans get a chance to make to connection to the players. I myself would find it easier to shell out the money to drive to Baltimore and buy a Orioles ticket if I could watch the players I have connected with over the past couple of seasons in the minor leagues.

It makes sense if they could ever go through with their plans to upgrade Bowie and Frederick to AAA and AA respectively, coupled with the idea of recouping some operating expense by having a team to play there, not just in spring training. The hangups there include that there is no way to cram the minimum required seats into Bowie (they seat about 8k now max and need 10k min to be considered for AAA), and I would guess they have the same problem in Frederick. With all of the work to get all of our affiliates closer to home to make it easier on scouting, and tracking, why would we now move a team that far away? Maybe AM just needs to work on his tan ;)

Slight correction....Bowie seats 10,000 now. The record crowd there is well over 14,000. What Bowie would need is upgrades to concessions and clubhouses. They did lighting this year.

When PG County Stadium was built, it was built above the AAA requirements of the time. They have changed since but capacity is not one of the issues. (BTW, Allentown seats 8,000. The 10,000 requirement is met with the lawn area. If you include the lawn in Bowie, you are at about 15,000.)

Archived