The Sting of Losing Winnable Games

OFFNY

On 6/30/2017 at 10:56 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. D-RAYS, 6/30)

That one stung ........ a lot.

o

o

That gut-wrenching loss turned out to be the difference between winning and losing the best-of-3 series with the southwestern Floridians.

Today's win (particularly the way that Gausman pitched) makes me happy, but that loss still hurts.

Still, the Orioles overall have clawed their way back to respectability over the last 2 and-a-half weeks (9-9), after an awful 5 weeks previous to it (9-22.)

o

8 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

That gut-wrenching loss turned out to be the difference between winning and losing the best-of-3 series with the southwestern Floridians.

Today's win (particularly the way that Gausman pitched) makes me happy, but that loss still hurts.

Still, the Orioles overall have clawed their way back to respectability over the last 2 and-a-half weeks (9-9), after an awful 5 weeks previous to it (9-22.)

o

Midwestern.  West coast about half way down.

West coast of central Florida is probably the best way to put it.

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Midwestern.  West coast about half way down.

West coast of central Florida is probably the best way to put it.

Tampa is home to the "University of South Florida".  St Pete is further south than Tampa.

I'm just sayin'.

I know you are going to blow some unless have 2016 Britton, so expecting it to never happen isn't reasonable.

But I sure wish we could have just two of them back.  The big lead blown to the Yankees and this past Friday.  Reverse those two results and we are the #2 wild card, just a half game back of NY for the #1 wild card, and not that far back of Boston.

If only.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Tampa is home to the "University of South Florida".  St Pete is further south than Tampa.

I'm just sayin'.

So anything south of Orlando (home to the "University of Central Florida" is south Florida?  I had no idea I lived an hour north of south Florida.  South Florida sure is a lot bigger than north and central Florida.

o

The loss to the Twins on Friday night was gut-wrenching, to say the least.

It was almost as bad as the loss to the Yankees back in April.

The loss to the Yankees back in April was a little worse because the Orioles blew an 8-run lead in that game, as opposed to the 6-run lead that they blew against the Twins ........ and because it was the Yankees.

That said ........ it was very good on the Orioles players for coming right back and winning their next 2 games against the same Twins team that had just ripped their hearts out. This is a team that is obviously struggling, but just as obvious is the fact that they are not "mailing it in."

o

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. ASTROS, 7/22)

Chris Tillman did a reasonably good job of giving the Orioles a chance to win this game.

Darren O'Day and Brad Brach did not.

o

The lifetime achievement award winners have killed this franchise.

Trumbo and O'day have to be carried for another two years, Davis for 5, luckily Hardy the inaugural winner of the award will hopefully move on from the O's

Over 1/4 of payroll to players that you couldn't sell for 10 cents on the dollar.

20 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. ASTROS, 7/22)

Chris Tillman did a reasonably good job of giving the Orioles a chance to win this game.

Darren O'Day and Brad Brach did not.

o

o

The very next day, the Orioles took just a bit of that sting off with a come-from-behind win against the same team.

One inning after they failed to score when they had runners on 1st and 2nd base with nobody out, Mark Trumbo tied the game with a solo home run. One inning later, the Orioles added 2 more runs for the lead, and the bullpen closed the deal.

o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...