I'm going to say it first...

scOtt

Mussina also was known to pitch on 3 day rest, something that most SP today do (At least the Orioles).

I think the 96 & 97 teams of his, would have won WS, if they had the bullpen that this team has. They came darn close and to the ALCS both years.

The '97 bullpen was awesome! Randy Myers saved 45/46, and Benitez blew only 1 of 10 while also having 20 holds. The overall save % of the bullpen was 86%, which is outstanding, and the bullpen ERA was 2nd in the league. Unfortunately, Benitez didn't perform well in the ALCS that year, after having had a great regular season. Kind've like J.J. in 2012.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The '97 bullpen was awesome! Randy Myers saved 45/46, and Benitez blew only 1 of 10 while also having 20 holds. The overall save % of the bullpen was 86%, which is outstanding, and the bullpen ERA was 2nd in the league. Unfortunately, Benitez didn't perform well in the ALCS that year, after having had a great regular season. Kind've like J.J. in 2012.

Wait, I thought 86 save ratio was average????

Your right about the 97 pen, my memory was hazy.

Average for a closer who comes into the 9th with a 2- or 3-run lead with the bases empty most of the time. Less for a whole team, where save "opportunities" often come in the form of one-run lead with two on and none out in the 6th.

Average for a closer who comes into the 9th with a 2- or 3-run lead with the bases empty most of the time. Less for a whole team, where save "opportunities" often come in the form of one-run lead with two on and none out in the 6th.

Thanks for the clarification.

86% save rate is slightly below average for a closer. For the bullpen as a whole, 67-70% is about average. Remember, those middle relievers can blow saves but never get credited with any. The highest team save rate in the AL is 78% this year (Yankees), and we are at 74%, 4th in the league. So 86% as a team is really high.

But back on topic:

If Chris has a string of games where he pitchers his first 3 innings as well as he seems to do his last 3-4 innings, he can get to 20. And we need him to.

I want to take you higher ........

4148_orange_ori_vnk_coop_82_rc_jry_b.jpg

ooo 13.

But back on topic:

If Chris has a string of games where he pitchers his first 3 innings as well as he seems to do his last 3-4 innings, he can get to 20. And we need him to.

I want to take you higher ........

4148_orange_ori_vnk_coop_82_rc_jry_b.jpg

ooo 14.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/Orioles">@Orioles</a> improve to 18-3 in games started by Chris Tillman this season <a href="https://t.co/T00d6Epgo1">pic.twitter.com/T00d6Epgo1</a></p>— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="

">July 21, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Only four more for the year? I know you posted on the 10th, but care to revise? Last week I calculated he gets 16 more starts. Lot of opportunity there.

I'm hoping he gets to 20. It hasn't happened for an O since a decade before I was born, I believe. It looks like he may do it.

Archived