Zimmerman's second-longest active games streak in jeopardy...

VivianDarkbloom

...because he asked for a day off. Zimmerman is Kakes's analogue on the Nats -- very young and already the best hitter on the team. A day off roughly every month is definitely advisable. 156 games is plenty. Hope Trembley has an understanding with Nick that he can take himself out of the line-up when he feels like it.

"Zimmerman and Acta met in spring training and decided that there was no reason for the third baseman to play a full 162-game schedule."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3380814

...because he asked for a day off. Zimmerman is Kakes's analogue on the Nats -- very young and already the best hitter on the team. A day off roughly every month is definitely advisable. 156 games is plenty. Hope Trembley has an understanding with Nick that he can take himself out of the line-up when he feels like it.

"Zimmerman and Acta met in spring training and decided that there was no reason for the third baseman to play a full 162-game schedule."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3380814

Every starting player should feel comfortable going to their manager when they need an occasional day off. Obviously some (Manny being Manny) take that too far, but the "iron man" attitude just ends up hurting teams in the long run. Generally it's on the managers to make the tough calls with star players but many of them don't have the cojones to stand up to a guy making a ton more money than they are. Kudos to Zimmerman for having the self-awareness and humility to admit he needs a breather though.

A manager should give every player on the team a day off a month at least. Maybe even once a week. I wonder if stats guys could ever figure out if players play better getting occasional rest. I loved Ripken but I honestly think his actual numbers and impact on the team could of been higher if he had allowed himself to rest. I still think he would of gotten 3000 hits and maybe he could of gotten 500hrs also.

Archived