Poor sportsmanship or smart baseball?

SteveA

I didn't use to dislike Rodriguez. I think he gets a bad rap because 1) He makes a ton of money (not his fault) 2) He's a Yankee 3) Yankee fans expect too much of him. Bottom line is he's the best player in the game today and one of the best of all time. I'd been a fan of his, but I've lost a lot of respect for him. It seems he'll do whatever it takes, no matter how right or wrong it may be, to win. The gloveslapping thing was stupid but could be dismissed as him just getting lost in the excitement and not thinking. This is now the second time he's been in the middle of a debate like this, and while this isn't as bad as the glove-slapping, it was done with the same intent. Win no matter what.

I'm not a fan of that attitude myself, and I find myself less of a fan of Rodriguez now. I don't give a damn what team he plays for or how much he makes. It's wrong.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47397

Your post makes it sound like you weren't aware of this little doozy.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rule 7.08(b) Comment: A runner who is adjudged to have hindered a fielder who is attempting to make a play on a batted ball is out whether it was intentional or not.

If, however, the runner has contact with a legally occupied base when he hinders the fielder, he shall not be called out unless, in the umpire’s judgment, such hindrance, whether it occurs on fair or foul territory, is intentional. If the umpire declares the hindrance intentional, the following penalty shall apply: With less than two out, the umpire shall declare both the runner and batter out. With two out, the umpire shall declare the batter out.

By the letter of the law, I would have to say Stray Rod interfered with the fielder. Either way, he will take a fastball between the numbers at least once this season from the Jays.

It doesn't fit, one can't stretch the definition of hinder enough to cover what ARod did. ARod did not hinder Clark from catching the ball. In no way did he prevent Clark from catching the ball he simply tricked him into not trying to catch the ball.

Not very smart for a player who has trouble with infield popups. Wanna bet he gets yelled at next time he is struggling with a popup and a baserunner is between second and third ? The guy is a punk plain and simple. I put this right up there with trash talking, it is not needed if you have confidence on your skills.

Likewise, Clark could have done whatever he wanted to do, but got tricked into letting it drop. However, because it appears A-Rod's yell was apparently against the interference rules, it shouldn't be allowed. If it weren't against the rules, I wouldn't say it was a bush league move.

There are other rules that are not literally enforced, like a catcher blocking the plate when he doesn't have the ball...

Do you think Ripken ever would have done that? And if your answer is "no", why do you think that?

I would say Cal would never have pulled a stunt like this because in his 20 years of baseball, no one accused Cal of playing the game the "wrong way"

If you ask all of the guys who played against Cal during his career, people have only good things to say about him. I have no evidence to back this statement up, but I seriously doubt Cal was thrown at for something like this.

There is a reason he and his dad wrote a book called The Ripken Way.

It doesn't fit, one can't stretch the definition of hinder enough to cover what ARod did. ARod did not hinder Clark from catching the ball. In no way did he prevent Clark from catching the ball he simply tricked him into not trying to catch the ball.

Statements like that are exactly why the courts had to adopt the specific phrasing of "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth"! :D

So people couldn't technically lie even while technically telling the truth.

Intentions, gesch. It's all about intentions. But we might as well put it to bed, calls like this are subjective. It comes down to the individuals take on it and their own personal guidelines of sportsmanship. And if you don't think it was wrong, and I do, there's really nothing else to be said about it.

But Arod's a cheap punk! :D

I dislike ARod quite a bit, and as such I really want to be annoyed at this. But honestly I can't bring myself to do it. I see why some players would say they would not do it, and I can see all the arguments suggesting that doing this can lead to injury. But at the end of the day seems to me that Drungo is correct... if this was almost anyone other than ARod, no one would be talking about it. And the reason why, in my mind anyway, is that the action by itself is not that big of a deal.

Hilarious. A Ferris Bueller type move if you ask me (I just watched it last night). This "right way/wrong way" to play the game stuff is crap and totally subjective. ARod tried something, it worked, and he didn't get called for it. The Blue Jays are pissed b/c they look stupid. If it happened to the O's I'd probably get pissed too, but I think it would be more at the 3B for being dumb than ARod.

Hilarious if you ask me. A Ferris Bueller type move if you ask me (I just watched it last night). This "right way/wrong way" to play the game stuff is crap and totally subjective. ARod tried something, it worked, and he didn't get called for it. The Blue Jays are pissed b/c they look stupid. If it happened to the O's I'd probably get pissed too, but I think it would be more at the 3B for being dumb than ARod.

Absolutely.

It'll probably end up on a blooper reel next year and be almost as funny was when Nook Logan or whoever got hit square in the nuts with a pitch.

I dislike ARod quite a bit, and as such I really want to be annoyed at this. But honestly I can't bring myself to do it. I see why some players would say they would not do it, and I can see all the arguments suggesting that doing this can lead to injury. But at the end of the day seems to me that Drungo is correct... if this was almost anyone other than ARod, no one would be talking about it. And the reason why, in my mind anyway, is that the action by itself is not that big of a deal.

If in last nights O's game John Buck yelled at Melmo and it cost the O's a couple of runs everyone on here would be pissed and want Buck's head. I could care less what the media thinks. It disgusts me regardless of who the player is. A punk is a punk.

If in last nights O's game John Buck yelled at Melmo and it cost the O's a couple of runs everyone on here would be pissed and want Buck's head. I could care less what the media thinks. It disgusts me regardless of who the player is. A punk is a punk.

I'd want MelMo's head.

Archived