More nonsense from Joe Morgan

ledzepp8

Let's see if FireJoeMorgan mentions this in the next day or so.

It started out on Baseball Tonight where they were talking about Soriano and where he might bat and how he feels more comfortable as a leadoff hitter, blah blah blah. They go to Joe in St. Louis for his take and he starts talking about Tony Gwynn for example and how he was one of the greatest hitters of all time and how the Padres always tried him 3rd in the lineup but he also felt more comfortable as a leadoff hitter. His basic point was that Tony wanted to lead off because he didn't like hitting 3rd. Now at first I just kind of gave Joe the benefit of the doubt thinking that maybe he's just talking about leading off or batting 3rd at any point in the game and not just how the lineup was put together.

But now during the Cubs-Cards game, he started in on the Tony Gwynn conversation again. This time he elaborates by saying that the Padres tried to bat him 3rd but he didn't like it/wasn't comfortable and they put him back at lead off. His exact words, "He was one of the best hitters in the game, but he wasn't a 3rd place hitter". Paraphrasing Joe, "And it's the same thing with Tony Gwynn, I remember they took Tony Gwynn and tried to hit him 3rd for a long period of time and he didn't like hitting third and they moved him back to 1st where he prospered"

Is Joe serious, mistaken, or just plain talking out of his ass? He has to know that Tony Gwynn had 457 ABs as a leadoff hitter. He had 3643 ABs as a 2nd place hitter and 4878 ABs as a 3rd place hitter (the most, though I'm sure everyone already knew that...well except for Joe). If that's not bad enough, Gwynn didn't even hit better as a leadoff hitter, don't get me wrong he still hit well...He's Tony "Friggin'" Gwynn. He hit 338 and 342 as a 2nd and 3rd place hitter and had OPS' of 842 and 860 compared to "only" 324 avg and 823 OPS as a leadoff hitter.

Not sure if this should go here or perhaps the rants section, although I don't really feel like I'm ranting. It doesn't bother me as much as make me laugh that someone would take the time to make a point like this (and call it sports analysis) when they couldn't be further from the truth. People who have no other idea would take Emmy Award winning Joe's word for it and think that the Padres experimented with Tony Gwynn as a 3rd place hitter only to think better of it and bat him leadoff because Gwynn didn't feel comfortable in that spot.

I was watching the game inbetween commercials of another show. If I am not mistaken he also said that Puljos should be a leadoff hitter but bats third becasue he wants to, this is where he likes hitting. Made the comparison to Wille Mayes, a batter that "should " have been a lead-off hitter, but instead batted third, according to Morgan.

Wow, that's just ridiculous.

I watched the first couple of innings of that game, but eventually had to turn it off because Morgan just pisses me off.

I was amused when Jon Miller gently hinted at the cosmic irony that FJM has been pointing out for years: that Joe Morgan got into the Hall of Fame partly because he was one of the most patient hitters in MLB history, and then made a second career out of loudly dismissing people who advocate exactly the plate approach that he utilized. Morgan said that, yeah, OBP is important for the top hitters in the lineup, but not for everyone. He said that ideally, everyone would have a good OBP, but that it was more important higher in the order.

Which is true, perhaps, but how do you go from that to deifying guys like David Eckstein? If an all-good-OBP lineup is desirable, then shouldn't he be praising guys who take a ton of walks?

Eh, whatever. Sunday Night Baseball is much more enjoyable if you tune in for the game and Jon Miller and accept the fact that Joe Morgan is a crazy old fool.

I would literally rather listen to Michael Reghi do color than Joe Morgan.

Yeah, it's that bad.

Yeah Joe Morgan is awful, but at least he's not Tim McCarver

There's lots of times that McCarver points out good baseball things, IMO anyway.

The main problem is that he'll get on some little thing, and just lock-in on it and repeat it 20 times.

If he just had a reset button on his head that the other guy could push, he could be OK.

Yeah Joe Morgan is awful, but at least he's not Tim McCarver

Yes, this is true..

I really don't mind Joe Morgan, I think him and Miller just sound great together, but I understand I am in the minority with this opinion.

Yes, this is true..

I really don't mind Joe Morgan, I think him and Miller just sound great together, but I understand I am in the minority with this opinion.

I like Joe Morgan's voice. He says some dumb stuff, but I think he's mostly OK when it comes to observation of little game-things. I understand how people get annoyed with him for some of the things he says, but I think he has good points too... they're mainly about observation of the game, rather than analysis of what's behind it.

Guest Sailor Jerry

I sense a lot of jealousy from you guys. Don't be mad that the Big Red Machine was the greatest baseball dynasty that there ever was and that they won every World Series between WWII and the invasion of Panama, or at least would have if they cared. What we need to talk about is how Ryne Sandberg isn's a HOFer and that he threatens Morgan's rightful place on the throne as the greatest 2B EVERRRRRR.

;)

I sense a lot of jealousy from you guys. Don't be mad that the Big Red Machine was the greatest baseball dynasty that there ever was and that they won every World Series between WWII and the invasion of Panama, or at least would have if they cared. What we need to talk about is how Ryne Sandberg isn's a HOFer and that he threatens Morgan's rightful place on the throne as the greatest 2B EVERRRRRR.

;)

Dude, Ryne Sandberg is the man and always will be, hands down :D.

Yes, this is true..

I love listening to Joe Morgan. I find the things that come out of his month funny. I guess since I played and watched baseball for so long know when Joe is just trying to fill his time. Or when Joe forgot to research what he is talking about.

Archived