Mock Draft picks 21-30

Sorry guys, I figured I would start this before I am gone for the day since I lead off.

1. TAM (McNulty) -- Beckham, T. (Griffin HS (GA), SS

2. PIT (Markpolis) -- Alvarez, P. (Vanderbilt), 3b

3. KAN (Greg) -- Crow, A. (Missouri), SP

4. BAL (Pete) -- Matusz, B. (San Diego), SP

5. SFN (Stotle) -- Posey, B. (Florida State), C

6. FLA (Furry) -- Hosmer, E. (American Heritage HS (FL)), 1b

7. CIN (AllStar) -- Beckham, G. (Georgia), SS

8. CHA (McNulty) -- Smoak, J. (South Carolina), 1b

9. WAS (Markpolis) -- Skipworth, K. (Patriot HS (CA)), C

10. HOU (Greg) -- Hunt, S. (Tulane), SP

11. TEX (PeteCanes) -- Alonso, Y. (Miami (FL)), 1b/DH

12. OAK (Stotle) -- Scheppers, T. (Fresno State), SP

13. STL (Furry) -- Martinez, H. (Braddock HS(FL)), 3b

14. MIN (AllStar) -- Melville, T. (Hunt HS(MO)), SP

15. LAN (McNulty) -- Hicks, A. (Wilson HS (CA)), OF/SP

16. MIL (Markpolis) -- Fields, J. (Georgia), RP

17. TOR (Greg) -- Wallace, B. (Arizona State), 1b/OF/DH

18. NYN (PeteCanes) -- Cole, G. (Lutheran HS (CA)), SP

19. CHN (Stotle) -- Friedrich, C. (Eastern Kentucky), SP

20. SEA (Furry) -- Meyer, A. (Greensburg HS(IN)), SP

And with pick #21, DET takes RHP Brett Hunter, Pepperdine.

With Jones getting old, and Zumaya constantly injured, a pitcher that could be a power reliever or a possible #2 starter can't be a bad pick. With a top 10 prospect list full of position players, it is time to reload on pitching, and a college pitcher increases the chance that he can contribute while this older core of players is still intact.

Here's the order again for the last part of this so we don't have to go digging for it:

AllStar -- 21. DET

PeteCanes -- 22. NYN

McNulty -- 23. SDN

Markpolis -- 24. PHI

GregPaps -- 25. COL

AllStar -- 27. MIN

Stotle -- 26. ARI

Furry -- 28. NYA

PeteCanes -- 29. CLE

AllStar -- 30. BOS

With the 22nd pick in the 2008 OH Mock Draft the New York Mets select...

...Jemile Weeks, University of Miami 2b.

The Hurricane's table-setter is known for exceptional defense, speed, and the ability to handle the bat from both sides of the plate with developing power. Jemile has put on 30 pounds since shunning the Brewers as an eighth-round draft pick to join the Hurricanes three years ago, and has since helped lead the 'Canes to the number one ranking in all of College Baseball. The sparkplug is having an incredible year thus far, leading the Hurricanes in average (.390), and sports an impressive 1.151 OPS to go along with 16 stolen bases in 17 attempts, and nine HR. The Mets are eager to get Weeks into the system, and hope to see him turning double plays with Jose Reyes within the next three years.

P.S. I'm not a homer.

With the 22nd pick in the 2008 OH Mock Draft the New York Mets select...

...Jemile Weeks, University of Miami 2b.

The Hurricane's table-setter is known for exceptional defense, speed, and the ability to handle the bat from both sides of the plate with developing power. Jemile has put on 30 pounds since shunning the Brewers as an eighth-round draft pick to join the Hurricanes three years ago, and has since helped lead the 'Canes to the number one ranking in all of College Baseball. The sparkplug is having an incredible year thus far, leading the Hurricanes in average (.390), and sports an impressive 1.151 OPS to go along with 16 stolen bases in 17 attempts, and nine HR. The Mets are eager to get Weeks into the system, and hope to see him turning double plays with Jose Reyes within the next three years.

P.S. I'm not a homer.

Excellent pick for the Mets. Well done.

P.S. I'm not a homer.

Maybe just a tad ;)

With the 23rd pick, the Padres will select Ike Davis from ASU.

We all know the Pads needs bats, particularly in the outfield. I almost took Dennis Raben (from some random college in the southern part of Florida...zing!), but his injury history makes him too risky here.

I also considered David Cooper from Cal, but I don't think he'll be able to play in the outfield, nor do I think his bat is better than Davis's.

And that's all for me Ladies and Gentlemen in the 2008 OH Mock Draft. Its been real.

You may notice that I did not pick a pitcher at any point, because they are too damn risky. If I was running an organization I'd wait until the sandwich round to start picking them. If Greg can prove that bats (especially college versus high school) have the highest success rate, why would you stray from that formula? Has Sabermetrics taught us nothing?

Sorry guys, I figured I would start this before I am gone for the day since I lead off.

And with pick #21, DET takes RHP Brett Hunter, Pepperdine.

With Jones getting old, and Zumaya constantly injured, a pitcher that could be a power reliever or a possible #2 starter can't be a bad pick. With a top 10 prospect list full of position players, it is time to reload on pitching, and a college pitcher increases the chance that he can contribute while this older core of players is still intact.

Hunter has been out for sometime with an elbow injury. But is due back soon.

This from Baseball America...

"Hunter hasn't pitched since March 1 against Texas Christian and won't pitch this weekend either, but he's close to returning. Tests have revealed no structural damage in his elbow, rather a nick that simply needed rest to heal itself. Rodriguez said Hunter has felt good for the last three weeks and has wanted to start pitching again, but doctors advised caution, so the Waves are being careful. He has begun throwing bullpen sessions recently, and the plan is for him to throw a couple of innings in relief next weekend against Portland, then slot back into the rotation the following week against Santa Clara."

Here's the order again for the last part of this so we don't have to go digging for it:

AllStar -- 21. DET

PeteCanes -- 22. NYN

McNulty -- 23. SDN

Markpolis -- 24. PHI

GregPaps -- 25. COL

AllStar -- 27. MIN

Stotle -- 26. ARI

Furry -- 28. NYA

PeteCanes -- 29. CLE

AllStar -- 30. BOS

I think the order you have is faulty.

AllStar -- 21. DET

McNulty -- 22. NYN

Markpolis -- 23. SDN

Greg Pappas -- 24. PHI

PeteCanes -- 25. COL

Stotle -- 27. MIN

Furry -- 26. ARI

AllStar -- 28. NYA

McNulty -- 29. CLE

Markpolis -- 30. BOS

I believe this should be the proper order...

The reason Stotle put it that way was to give each person 4 teams to be in charge of. The Minnesota pick is what is messing up the rhythm there since they have 2 picks.

I did however transpose the 26th and 27th pick in the list order because I'm an idiot.

Maybe just a tad ;)

With the 23rd pick, the Padres will select Ike Davis from ASU.

We all know the Pads needs bats, particularly in the outfield. I almost took Dennis Raben (from some random college in the southern part of Florida...zing!), but his injury history makes him too risky here.

I also considered David Cooper from Cal, but I don't think he'll be able to play in the outfield, nor do I think his bat is better than Davis's.

And that's all for me Ladies and Gentlemen in the 2008 OH Mock Draft. Its been real.

You may notice that I did not pick a pitcher at any point, because they are too damn risky. If I was running an organization I'd wait until the sandwich round to start picking them. If Greg can prove that bats (especially college versus high school) have the highest success rate, why would you stray from that formula? Has Sabermetrics taught us nothing?

Very good pick, and the same one I have in my mock.

My research doesn't show College Hitters are better choices than HS Hitters, but rather that Hitters are statistically better choices than Pitchers, as regards the first round. Hitters have a roughly 50% "success" rate, compared to a roughly 25% rate for Pitchers. :)

Very good pick, and the same omne I have in my mock.

My research doesn't show College Hitters are better choices than HS Hitters, but rather that Hitters are statistically better choices than Pitchers, as regards the first round.

Ah...my apologies then.

Ah...my apologies then.

No worries, as there is a slight (5%) advantage for Collegiate hitters over their HS counterparts, but... that is based on the entire first round, whereas the HS'ers have an advantage (10%) over the college boys amongst the top 10 picks.

That's why I see it as a wash overall. :)

With the 24th pick, the Phillies select, Jr., 3b L-R 6-1 200 Wichita State Shockers, Conor Gillaspie.

Gillaspie was named the 2007 Cape Cod MVP. He was consistently able to put the sweet spot of his bat on the ball, winning the batting title (.345) as well as MVP award. The gritty, gutty Gillaspie is super intense and plays with a chip on his shoulder. Gillaspie's style of play will go over well in Philly. Gillaspie will be a nice compliment to the All-Star packed infield of Ryan Howard, Chase Utley and Jimmy Rollins.

Great article about Gillaspie in BA.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/college/on-campus/2008/266010.html

More analysis on Gillaspie to follow. (hey, I'm at work right now.)

With the 25th pick in Round One, the Colorado Rockies select Ethan Martin, RHSP/3B, Stephens County High School (GA).

Martin has been on the prospect radar for years as a 3B, and a darn good one at that, but burst into the first round by surprising scouts on the mound, as a power pitcher. The 6' 3, 190 lbs Martin showcased his tremendous talent against the Eric Hosmer-lead #1 team in the country, American Heritage High School. He showed a low (91) to mid-nineties (96) FB, a plus slurve, a developing change, and struck out Hosmer in one at bat (although Hosmer homered off him later with a missile to left-center field that nearly knocked the scoreboard down). He totaled 11 K's on the day, throwing a complete game in AH's first loss of the season. His final pitch? 93 mph FB.

Martin has kept the scouts buzzing as he has maintained his stuff deep into the season, and although he has great skills as a 3B, and would go in the top 2 rounds based on his talent there, his future seems to be on the mound. A fresh arm with stuff that good? A scouts dream.

Archived