Can't keep playing Mark Trumbo in RF

webbrick2010

I would DFA Reimold and move Alvarez and at least try to get some RF help. Maybe call up Yaz. Make Trumbo FT DH. Without a shakeup, these last 60 games are going to be ugly.

Where is the market for Alvarez?

He didn't get a job until spring training.

He can't play in the National League.

What American League teams needs a platoon DH?

I don't even want to begin to explain why Yaz is unlikely to be an improvement over Reimold, but I will say that Reimold's OPS in the majors is higher than Yaz's in AAA.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In order:

-- so what

-- he flourished there in the past.

-- I haven't taken a poll recently

-- get off the ops crap, it's tiring..let's give the kid a shot.

Yea, he was so good in the NL he got non-tendered. :thumbsup1:

Most be tough for you if you find even basic stats like OPS tiresome.

If Yaz's last name was Cooper you wouldn't even know who he was.

I don't live or die by the stat sheet like you and other geeks like Brian Kenney, who make a farce of the game with mostly worthless statistics to create an air of self-importance. I look for baseball players who pass the eye test. Good old fashion scouting and development. Yaz is not Babe Ruth but watched his Grandfather for years. Lot of the same work ethic. He deserves a shot as does Mancini and Walker. You keep hanging on to your ops crap. You wear it well.

A fan that can not GRASP the overall reason for stating the OPS Stat is a fan that has very little to offer in any conversation when talking about ball players. These fans would make the rest of us believe that their individual "Eye Test" is better than those that are being paid to do this for all the 30 MLB ball-clubs and their affiliates.

What Statistic would you have the rest of us look at when trying to compare and evaluate ball players???

I don't live or die by the stat sheet like you and other geeks like Brian Kenney, who make a farce of the game with mostly worthless statistics to create an air of self-importance. I look for baseball players who pass the eye test. Good old fashion scouting and development. Yaz is not Babe Ruth but watched his Grandfather for years. Lot of the same work ethic. He deserves a shot as does Mancini and Walker. You keep hanging on to your ops crap. You wear it well.

Funny how I don't feel a need to hurl insults in your direction.

:scratchchinhmm:

I disagree but you are entitled to your opinion. If you need an ops stat sheet to grade out players, then you are letting numbers dictate your evaluation process. Is the guy productive? Is he clutch? Does he have speed, power? Can he hit for average? What does he do in the field? Put your stat sheet down and watch the game.

Do you even know what OPS is???

OPS is ON Base Percentage Plus Slugging. When you first look at the OPS you need to decipher how it got to the point that it is at. Is the On Base Percentage driven by Batting Average or by walks or with an equal combination of the two. Is the slugging driven by Home-Runs or is it driven by Doubles an Triples. Is the On Base and Batting Average separated by .050 to .100 in points or is it just slightly above Batting Average.

Production by ball players varies according to skill set. Slow methodical power hitters with a lot of K's will generally have a Slugging driven OPS. Astute pitch taking punch and Judies will be Batting Average and On Base Percentage driven. To summarrily dismiss this type of evaluation because someone does not understand it shows an inability to learn the subtle nuances of baseball that makes it the sport we all love or love to hate.

I do watch the games and I also do not live and die with each pitch. I understand the "Eye Test" and "Ear Test" for batters and Pitchers. I also like to know how these players arrived at the level they did and if the are improving or declining. A stat sheet with BA, OBP, SLG and OPS allows a documented approach to verify what I am seeing.

I disagree but you are entitled to your opinion. If you need an ops stat sheet to grade out players, then you are letting numbers dictate your evaluation process. Is the guy productive? Is he clutch? Does he have speed, power? Can he hit for average? What does he do in the field? Put your stat sheet down and watch the game.
How would you know any of this unless you count? :rofl::rolleyestf:

Is Yaz productive? No. He's hitting .231 with a sub-.700 OPS at the age of 25, almost 26, in AAA.

Is he clutch? Don't know, but given that clutch performances tend toward overall performances I'd expect him to have a similarly lackluster performance in all situations.

Does he have speed? He appears moderately fast, steals maybe 10 bases a season, while being caught at about the break-even rate.

Power? No. Average? No. Field? He appears to be a decent LF/RFer, maybe not the chops to play center regularly in the majors.

He's a grade C- prospect, pushed to C+ by his name.

Is Yaz productive? No. He's hitting .231 with a sub-.700 OPS at the age of 25, almost 26, in AAA.

Is he clutch? Don't know, but given that clutch performances tend toward overall performances I'd expect him to have a similarly lackluster performance in all situations.

Does he have speed? He appears moderately fast, steals maybe 10 bases a season, while being caught at about the break-even rate.

Power? No. Average? No. Field? He appears to be a decent LF/RFer, maybe not the chops to play center regularly in the majors.

He's a grade C- prospect, pushed to C+ by his name.

Ouch - so another meh Vandy product? We need another 'dore! (cough Flash, El Toro, Yaz Jr cough) ;)

Archived