The struggles with runners in scoring position

Ori-Al

The Orioles are in a bit of a rut. Which honestly is easy for folks to pick on, because it "looks" worse, after that mammoth June. They will level off, in time.

As for overall RISP issues... This is a team full of boppers. They're pre-programmed to be looking for pitches to hit out of the park. Aside from Kim, I don't know how many guys in this lineup go up to the plate, take in the situation start their at bat with a plan. It's usually just "hit a homer."

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While it's a reasonable analogy to use, the O's have more than 200 RISP opportunities per month, not 10.

I was exaggerating for effect. A whole season of a single players performance with RISP is still too small a sample to draw conclusions from.

And I do think that human beings are not coins, and there are times where players grow a bit impatient and skew their results.

Of course. But that would show up in stats. Have players P/PA gone down? What about their chase percentage? Are the approaches of an entire team of professionals with thousands of professional plate appearances really all changing at once?

So, I agree there's a lot of random variation around the mean, but I do think that some of the variation occurs due to psychological factors.

You think the whole team is having psychological issues at the same time? Occums razor would seem to suggest that no physical or mental issues are affecting our entire team at once and that pure chance is causing this downtick, yes?

I was exaggerating for effect. A whole season of a single players performance with RISP is still too small a sample to draw conclusions from.

Of course. But that would show up in stats. Have players P/PA gone down? What about their chase percentage? Are the approaches of an entire team of professionals with thousands of professional plate appearances really all changing at once?

You think the whole team is having psychological issues at the same time? Occums razor would seem to suggest that no physical or mental issues are affecting our entire team at once and that pure chance is causing this downtick, yes?

It's common for a team with major players slumping, for other players to press and increase the problem.

It's common for a team with major players slumping, for other players to press and increase the problem.

What's common is for people to take results and then try to reverse engineer motives. It rained because I got out of bed the wrong way this morning. The O's lost because I wore my wrong hat.

So, I'm asking for proof. If the Orioles are pressing, show me that in the stats. What does it mean to "press"? Which players are pressing and which aren't? Whose Swing % is up? Who is chasing more? Without that, it's just more likely that this is just chance, and you are looking at the coin and declaring it weighted.

Our offense is one dimensional. It's a pretty good dimension though. If Trumbo's ball goes over the wall, we win that game.

Schoop, too.

The Orioles are 39-10 in games in which Schoop has homered.

Our offense is one dimensional. It's a pretty good dimension though. If Trumbo's ball goes over the wall, we win that game.

Schoop, too.

The Orioles are 39-10 in games in which Schoop has homered.

How can this be? Schoop has only hit HR in 17 G.

That's for his career.

This season, they are 12-5 in games in which he homers.

What's common is for people to take results and then try to reverse engineer motives. It rained because I got out of bed the wrong way this morning. The O's lost because I wore my wrong hat.

So, I'm asking for proof. If the Orioles are pressing, show me that in the stats. What does it mean to "press"? Which players are pressing and which aren't? Whose Swing % is up? Who is chasing more? Without that, it's just more likely that this is just chance, and you are looking at the coin and declaring it weighted.

Why does everything in life need to be measured with stats?

The issues with RISP have coincided with the big bats slumping. How hard is it to see players more jumpy at the plate recently.

Admittedly I am going by gut feeling here, based on the body language and looks of frustration on the players' faces. And while I think the analysis you suggest might prove or disprove the point (or be inconclusive), I don't have the tools or the time to do that research. I'm not aware of a resource that provides a breakdown of swing %, or swinging outside the strike zone %, by game or by month. So, without those tools, I am going to go with what seems to me like common sense.

And by the way, I never said that every player is affected the same way. It doesn't take all 9 guys pressing to have a team slump. It just takes a couple of key guys in a slump, and a few others who start to press in key spots to try to make up for their slumping teammates.

Admittedly I am going by gut feeling here, based on the body language and looks of frustration on the players' faces. And while I think the analysis you suggest might prove or disprove the point (or be inconclusive), I don't have the tools or the time to do that research. I'm not aware of a resource that provides a breakdown of swing %, or swinging outside the strike zone %, by game or by month. So, without those tools, I am going to go with what seems to me like common sense.

And by the way, I never said that every player is affected the same way. It doesn't take all 9 guys pressing to have a team slump. It just takes a couple of key guys in a slump, and a few others who start to press in key spots to try to make up for their slumping teammates.

Last night we saw Caleb Joseph of all people with runners on swing on a check swing with a 3-0 count.

1 for 6 w/ RISP tonight, as the Orioles continue their pattern of falling into a losing streak after reaching their highest above .500.

Hunter and Angel mentioned the O's have the lowest RISP in the AL since the all star break and overall 2nd worst in baseball with the mets being the worst.

Archived