Should O's trade for reliever instead of starter?

Ori-Al

Pretty superficial. The only stat cited is on the 6th inning but a lot of those runs have come from the starters being left in too long. The article also omits that we have been playing most of the season without O'Day. That said, we could use a LOOGY. We have never really found a matchup guy to replace Matusz. However, I also don't know why it has to be one or the other.

Would have to be a shutdown reliever that gets both lefties and righties out and I don't see one available that's not going to cost a ransom.

Otherwise, what's the point? Our bullpen is stacked with guys that can pitch around a 3 ERA or better.

We need a starter. I think we could use a right fielder (one that can hit and field) more so than another reliever.

Pretty superficial. The only stat cited is on the 6th inning but a lot of those runs have come from the starters being left in too long. The article also omits that we have been playing most of the season without O'Day. That said, we could use a LOOGY. We have never really found a matchup guy to replace Matusz. However, I also don't know why it has to be one or the other.

Pretty much. If we make the playoffs with this rotation, Buck will use the pen more liberally. We have guys who could come on in the 6th and do the job.

Uggh, I just had a nice long response deleted when my Chrome browser went "Aw Snap! mode! So frustrating!

Anyways, what I was saying was this is Buck problem, not a lack of relief options issues. Go look at our starters performances in the 6th inning. Only Tillman and Gausman have decent numbers, the rest are pretty much disasters. Buck has an unquenchable desire to get his starters through the 6th inning come hell or high water, but he doesn't have the starters to do that. In a close or tied game, Buck should always have a reliever ready to go in the 6th inning except for when Tillman and Gausman are on the mound.

I know he hates to warm up relievers without using them, but way too often he's seen the 6th inning snowball on him before he has a chance to get a guy loose and in the game.

Saying that, if the Orioles can get a left-handed reliever like Fernando Abad from Minnesota they should. This team needs a left-handed matchup guy.

Uggh, I just had a nice long response deleted when my Chrome browser went "Aw Snap! mode! So frustrating!

Anyways, what I was saying was this is Buck problem, not a lack of relief options issues. Go look at our starters performances in the 6th inning. Only Tillman and Gausman have decent numbers, the rest are pretty much disasters. Buck has an unquenchable desire to get his starters through the 6th inning come hell or high water, but he doesn't have the starters to do that. In a close or tied game, Buck should always have a reliever ready to go in the 6th inning except for when Tillman and Gausman are on the mound.

I know he hates to warm up relievers without using them, but way too often he's seen the 6th inning snowball on him before he has a chance to get a guy loose and in the game.

Saying that, if the Orioles can get a left-handed reliever like Fernando Abad from Minnesota they should. This team needs a left-handed matchup guy.

You pull Bundy out after 5, and no hit ball, he was crusin?

Archived