Could Somebody tell Me Why MLB Bothers to Have Play Reviews & Challenges?

MagicBird

But was it the right call? If so, then thats what replay is there to do.

Last night is just the most recent example of total replay incompetence. There is no problem with replay "getting it right" nor should getting calls right at times excuse not getting obvious calls right when they miss it. So saying, oh they got some right so all is good is not acceptable.

See, this is what I mean. Before replay we had nightly threads on the incompetence of umpires. Now we have a replay system that gets those blown calls right, say, 90+% of the time and it's called "total replay incompetence." We have a system that's objectively better at getting to the truth and the common refrain seems to be that since it isn't perfect we need to immediately scrap it altogether.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please, for the love of God, learn how to use commas. Anyway, if it's clear on MASN, it should be just as clear in the replays NY has. There's no excuse for missing something as obvious as the Wieters homer

Are we the grammar police now? It's an online forum. Get over yourself.

One idea for improvement would be to have a fifth umpire on the crew at each game, in the booth. If he sees a questionable call, he can buzz the home plate

umpire to suspend play while he takes a second look. No need for a supposedly-limited number of challenges.

See, this is what I mean. Before replay we had nightly threads on the incompetence of umpires. Now we have a replay system that gets those blown calls right, say, 90+% of the time and it's called "total replay incompetence." We have a system that's objectively better at getting to the truth and the common refrain seems to be that since it isn't perfect we need to immediately scrap it altogether.

Who said it should be scraped? My point is/was the replay officials are missing obvious calls and missing the obvious is inexcusable. IF, and its a big IF, they are getting 90% correct that is great. SO why cant they get the other 10% correct? Its pretty hard to screw up when you have replay that can be slowed down and watched over and over from different angles. The 90% isnt the problem. The 10% is.

Archived