Official Orioles Draft Pick Thread

markpolis

Nah, we still should complain... To compensate the payroll advantages that NYY and BOS have we should be maximizing the number of picks we have *and* making picks like these to build an elite farm system.

Totally agree.

Very excited about Wieters and Arrieta though! Not too sure about the other guy, seems like a reach.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Totally agree.

Very excited about Wieters and Arrieta though! Not too sure about the other guy, seems like a reach.

Just for the record, I have to agree with Gesch as well. I'm real happy about the first day of this draft, but giving up draft picks for > 1 Dany Baez is never, ever, ever a good idea. And no amount of rationalization can make it so.

I've seen a lot of scouting reports on Weiters, but havent really seen any projections. For example, everyone always said Markakis would be a 30/100/.300 guy. What kind of numbers do people expect Weiters to eventually put up?

No reason he can't be a 25/90/.300 type hitter. Those numbers from the catcher spot is very impressive.

I've seen Arrieta as high as #25 in the first round in some mock drafts, further confirming that we most likely got a huge steal.

Prior to his junior season, Arrieta was considered a lock for the first round. Some people had him projected as a top 10 pick. He struggled a bit in his junior season, but he came through healthy. He really projects well as a #2 or #3 starter.

I really, really like this pick.

Just for the record, I have to agree with Gesch as well. I'm real happy about the first day of this draft, but giving up draft picks for > 1 Dany Baez is never, ever, ever a good idea. And no amount of rationalization can make it so.

Yeah, it wasn't a good idea just considering the money/years involved or just considering giving up the pick, add both together and you get an atrocious contract!

Prior to his junior season, Arrieta was considered a lock for the first round. Some people had him projected as a top 10 pick. He struggled a bit in his junior season, but he came through healthy. He really projects well as a #2 or #3 starter.

I really, really like this pick.

Yeah, sounds great, gotta love a 5th round choice that was projected to be a top 10-20 pick less than a year ago and still projected to be a sandwich pick this year.

Late to the party working second shift. Great day for the O's! Wieters is a dream come true, both in talent and what it says about the organization dealling with Boras. Arrieta sounds like very sweet icing on the cake.

I'm with Frobby on this one. [Wieters'] supposedly the best position player in the draft AND he's played college ball, so it's not totally unrealistic to imagine him here next season. The only roadblock I can see is Ramon, unless we trade him or get Wieters to play first and backup catch for Ramon in '08-'09.

Or Ramon could play some 1B. He's supposedly quite a decent backup there.

I think we'll have another Boras client lined up to play first base in 2009!

Hope so! Man, that would be a lineup. Wieters, Rowell, Tex, Ramon or whoever we could trade him for, Mig, BRob, Markakis. :002_sdrool: Fill in the blanks and the ring sizes...

I don't understand these type of comparisons. It seems that thes comps are mainly used because they were also pretty large for their position and because they were both pretty good defensively.

But I thought Weiters' best asset was his bat, and with regards to this, Charles Johnson and Joe Mauer were completely different as hitters.

Mauer rarely strikes out, will take a walk and hits for great average. His worst avg thus far has been .295. After his first 160 games or so at the mlb level, he has been a .350 hitter with an OBP of about .432. His power is ok, at least at this stage of his career.

Johnson struck out quite a bit and didn't walk very often. He was a career .245 hitter, with a career .330 OBP.

The comparisons to Charles Johnson that I have seen are in regards to his arm, not his bat.

Archived