Official Orioles Draft Pick Thread

markpolis

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's in a vaccuum. We have no idea what the average or the baseline is. Compare with other agents.

True. But I am relatively certain that the original implication from Chollie's post about Boras is inaccurate:

BTW, ask yourselves this question peeps - "When was the last time Boras represented a bust?" He knows baseball too.

I have no idea what Boras' record is compared to other agents but I'd be shocked if there weren't several (many?) other agents out there who have better records w/their represented draftees. Especially if ROI is taken into account.

MLB.com article about Wieters has an interesting quote from Flanagan:

Wieters, rated by many to be the top hitter available, was expected to slip to a position lower than his talent level because of questions about his signability.

"It was really a non-issue. It was really, 'Let's take the best available [player] we can get,'" said Mike Flanagan, Baltimore's executive vice president of baseball operations. "We'll see once we get into it. The idea is to get the player and get him signed. These things tend to take time.

"We'll have that August 15 deadline, so it may be a little speedier than it was in the past."

Back to Frobby's post about ETA to Baltimore he mentioned Ryan Zimmerman. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Zimmerman spent half the year at AA Harrisburg then was called up to the bigs and has been there ever since.

I dont really know where he talent level is compared to Zimmerman but the fact that they said if he signs soon enough he could go straight to Bowie leads me to believe that if he adjusts and looks good at AA he will certainly have a shot to be with the club in 2008.

If this is truely how they feel then certainly you have to think about trading Ramon but I think I would wait till the offseason for a move like that.

Matt Wieters' 2007 stats

218 AB

.358 AVG

.480 OBP

.592 SLG

1.072 OPS

17 2B

2 3B

10 HR

59 RBI

51 BB

5 HBP

37 K

Matt Wieters' 2007 conference (ACC) only stats

106 AB

.368 AVG

.503 OBP

.623 SLG

1.126 OPS

10 2B

1 3B

5 HR

29 BB

Matt Wieters' 2006 stats

259 AB

.355 AVG

.470 OBP

.606 SLG

1.076 OPS

20 2B

0 3B

15 HR

71 RBI

56 BB

9 HBP

39 K

Matt Wieters' 2006 conference (ACC) only stats

114 AB

.333 AVG

.457 OBP

.518 SLG

.975 OPS

9 2B

0 3B

4 HR

29 RBI

26 BB

6 HBP

18 K

2005 stats

227 AB

.366 AVG

.471 OBP

.581 SLG

1.052 OPS

68 RBI

17 2B

1 3B

10 HR

45 BB

Back to Frobby's post about ETA to Baltimore he mentioned Ryan Zimmerman. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Zimmerman spent half the year at AA Harrisburg then was called up to the bigs and has been there ever since.

I dont really know where he talent level is compared to Zimmerman but the fact that they said if he signs soon enough he could go straight to Bowie leads me to believe that if he adjusts and looks good at AA he will certainly have a shot to be with the club in 2008.

If this is truely how they feel then certainly you have to think about trading Ramon but I think I would wait till the offseason for a move like that.

Why is everyone so quick to deal Ramon? Best case scenario Weiters is ready to be a full time MLB player in two years. Then we can start looking at a DH catching platoon until Matt is ready to take over the pitching staff and at that point, Ramon would be valuable as a DH/back up catcher.

Why is everyone so quick to deal Ramon? Best case scenario Weiters is ready to be a full time MLB player in two years. Then we can start looking at a DH catching platoon until Matt is ready to take over the pitching staff and at that point, Ramon would be valuable as a DH/back up catcher.

I agree and no way I trade Ramon during this season. However if he compares to Zimmerman then he would be ready best case not in 2 yrs but next year.

This would allow you to trade Ramon in the offseason before his walk year. I dont know if his talent level compares to Zimmerman that is why I ask.

Just to compare here are Zimmerman's minor league stats only 67 games you judge for yourself:

2005 AA-Harrisburg 63 233 40 76 20 0 9 32 15 34 1 5 .371 .528 .326

2005 A-Savannah 4 17 5 8 2 1 2 6 -- 3 0 1 .471 1.059 .471

TOTALS: 67 250 45 84 22 1 11 38 15 37 1 6 .374 .564 .336

True. But I am relatively certain that the original implication from Chollie's post about Boras is inaccurate:

It would be reasonable to say that Boras has represented most of the best talent in recent drafts. It is likely that Wieters will be good. Not because Boras is his agent, but because Boras represents better talent. In general. You can split hairs and find players that didn't pan out, but he's had a fairer share of legit MLB talent in his stable.

Here's hoping that the Birds can draft Justin Smoak, Wieters high school teammate, next year. The kid is an absolute stud at USC.

Danny, long time, no see. I hope all is well with you and the golf game. Me and the family won't be making it down to Kaiwah this year. :(

It would be reasonable to say that Boras has represented most of the best talent in recent drafts.

No, I don't think that would be reasonable. He represents fraction of the best talent in recent drafts.

It is likely that Wieters will be good. Not because Boras is his agent, but because Boras represents better talent. In general. You can split hairs and find players that didn't pan out, but he's had a fairer share of legit MLB talent in his stable.

I agree that Weiters should be good because he's a good player. I think there are some (many) Boras clients this year (as in every year) where it is a much bigger gamble that the player will be good and that the better bet would be to look elsewhere.

Mark,

Things are going really well down here in Charleston, thanks for asking. Hoping all is well with you on the West Coast. Play has really slowed to a crawl at the club (the Fall and Spring were huge, but the Summer is dead), which is not a bad thing, as I will be getting married in five weeks. I haven't seen your father-in-law in quite some time. He requested me for the Spring Member-Member, but then cancelled the day before the tournament. I'm hoping all is well with him.

I figured that I've lurked on these boards long enough, that I might as well take a stab at posting, seeing as Wieters is a local guy. The Post and Courier did a huge feature on him today and he is going to lead all the news coverage this evening, so I will try and keep everyone updated on what the talk is down here in Charleston.

Archived