Stark on DD

Rene88

The waiver deadline starts Monday, August 1St. If the Orioles happen to be in third place they can block/pick up waived players before Toronto or Boston just by making a claim. Some of the waived players will be salary dumps by their parent clubs hoping that some one claims them.

Orioles won't do that. It can backfire and they get stuck with some heavy contracts.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't forget Bud Norris and Scott Feldman. Value!

I agree with you, but I don't think "Duquette" type guys are going to put us over the top.

His best value pickup may have been Mark Trumbo, and he's the main thing compensating for Chris Davis' falloff.

Looking for value is fine if you need a 4th or 5th starter or a little bullpen help. But when you have no trustworthy 2, 3, 4, or 5 you just may need to aim a bit higher.

Then again, the offseason- the last several offseasons- was the time to address this, and DD failed to do so.

I'm sure DD would love to go into an offseason knowing he can have serious dialogue with the agents for David Price and Zack Greinke. Again, he knows the limits set. So it's guys like Gallardo and Jimenez.

His best value pickup may have been Mark Trumbo, and he's the main thing compensating for Chris Davis' falloff.

I don't think anyone is saying DD is inept. But the decisions made in the starting pitching realm have been a disaster.

Orioles won't do that. It can backfire and they get stuck with some heavy contracts.

These waiver claims are seldom broadcast.

If you have Philly trying to trade Hellickson to Toronto or Boston after the non-waiver why would you not put a claim in on him.

If NYY was trying to slide Nova through waivers, you would be obliged to claim him.

If the Diamondbacks try to slide Shelby Miller through Waivers, you would be obliged to make a claim on him.

If NYY was to try and slide CCSabathia through Waivers, you would hesitate because of the Buy Out and Option for 2017.

I don't think anyone is saying DD is inept. But the decisions made in the starting pitching realm have been a disaster.

Ubaldo had ace stuff and showdd it at time, especially 2nd half in CLE offseason before fa. He made a ton of sense to target because he had top of rotation stuff and could get him for cheaper. Risky, but had chance to be a key weapon. Didnt work but made a ton of sense.

Only one i disagreed with was Gallardo...older with injury history, deminished velocity, and low upside. We desperately needed a starter though and gallardo has been consistently decent in his career though.

Not much he can do when he cant go get the big dogs

These waiver claims are seldom broadcast.

If you have Philly trying to trade Hellickson to Toronto or Boston after the non-waiver why would you not put a claim in on him.

If NYY was trying to slide Nova through waivers, you would be obliged to claim him.

If the Diamondbacks try to slide Shelby Miller through Waivers, you would be obliged to make a claim on him.

If NYY was to try and slide CCSabathia through Waivers, you would hesitate because of the Buy Out and Option for 2017.

Not talking about guys like Hellickson or Miller. Guys like Sabathia, Kemp, Shields, Braun. Guys that the other team might say here take him and thanks.

Ubaldo had ace stuff and showdd it at time, especially 2nd half in CLE offseason before fa. He made a ton of sense to target because he had top of rotation stuff and could get him for cheaper. Risky, but had chance to be a key weapon. Didnt work but made a ton of sense.

Only one i disagreed with was Gallardo...older with injury history, deminished velocity, and low upside. We desperately needed a starter though and gallardo has been consistently decent in his career though.

Not much he can do when he cant go get the big dogs

Gallardo didn't have injury history just FYI.

Worse, he got the skeptical review by the O's docs.
You understand that if the O's doctors felt Gallardo shouldn't have been signed he wouldn't have been? They determined that the amount of wear in his shoulder didn't warrant a third year to the contract not that he couldn't be viable for two.

Archived