O's looking at Wade Miley (Acquired for Ariel Miranda)

ChipTait

I like this move. Miley is a solid #4 pitcher who will be our 3rd best starter. Although that says more about our current rotation than Miley, the fact that DD got him for a guy the Orioles didn't even feel was better than the ash and trash they've been running out there says some things. I talked to two scouts, neither think Miranda is more than a 5th starter at best. Good arm, but inconsistent command.

On top of it, now the Orioles have a left-handed starter for next season as well. Nice move. I had Miranda in the 20-30 range for prospects in a weak system. Good trade.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like this move. Miley is a solid #4 pitcher who will be our 3rd best starter. Although that says more about our current rotation than Miley, the fact that DD got him for a guy the Orioles didn't even feel was better than the ash and trash they've been running out there says some things. I talked to two scouts, neither think Miranda is more than a 5th starter at best. Good arm, but inconsistent command.

On top of it, now the Orioles have a left-handed starter for next season as well. Nice move. I had Miranda in the 20-30 range for prospects in a weak system. Good trade.

Third best starter behind Tillman and...Bundy?

You are mixing up your playoff years. Saunders was 2012.

Yep, total brain fart. He got us to the Yankees series though so the point remains, I'd be fine with a guy who performs like he did the rest of the year.

We don't need greatness, we need solid innings and not to keep getting shelled in the first couple innings.

Yep, total brain fart. He got us to the Yankees series though so the point remains, I'd be fine with a guy who performs like he did the rest of the year.

We don't need greatness, we need solid innings and not to keep getting shelled in the first couple innings.

Point is definitely valid. I see the Saunders parallel too.

We all read the wrong tweets. Take it easy. That is where all of us are getting our info. I did call the Miley deal though. I though maybe Santana as well before tomorrow. Definitely a left handed reliever.

It was just a question, I didn't intend to infer anything. Clearly he thought additional players were involved. I wasn't sure if his statement was based off inside info or the fake tweet, hence my question.

I think he can be a decent enough #5. He was the very little major league starting depth that we had. But I get it if the O's don't think he's ready this year.

It's not like I'm married to Miranda or think he'll be an ace. But he has good stuff, is a lefty and cheap.

For me this is one of those cases where I just have to defer to the professionals.

I liked what I saw of Miranda in his only Orioles appearance. I liked his pacing, his stuff, and his location.

However, the Orioles brass obviously wasn't as pleased (how could you be with 3 ER in 2.0 IP).

I don't know enough to defend Miranda, and I don't know enough about Miley to endorse him, but on paper, this is exactly the kind of trade that makes sense for these Orioles.

We're not going to go $25M PA for a TOR starter. We can and will to $8-10M for a starter that will eat innings and keep us in games and (hopefully) bridge us to the starting rotation of the future.

It's a good trade IMHO.

You know I completely forgot about the trade deadline. What kind of baseball fan am I!? I'm losing it I tell you! Losing it!

In other news...I like the deal.

Like others have said. We get a serviceable 3-4 starter. Without giving up a player with a high ceiling. Hopefully he can be one of those vets that can psyche himself up for a playoff run.

For me this is one of those cases where I just have to defer to the professionals.

I liked what I saw of Miranda in his only Orioles appearance. I liked his pacing, his stuff, and his location.

However, the Orioles brass obviously wasn't as pleased (how could you be with 3 ER in 2.0 IP).

I don't know enough to defend Miranda, and I don't know enough about Miley to endorse him, but on paper, this is exactly the kind of trade that makes sense for these Orioles.

We're not going to go $25M PA for a TOR starter. We can and will to $8-10M for a starter that will eat innings and keep us in games and (hopefully) bridge us to the starting rotation of the future.

It's a good trade IMHO.

Yes and weams liked what he saw in AA but not as glowing as the press releases so there is that!

Lightning_in_A_Bottle_by_Hamaliel.jpg

It's Joe Saunders all over again, with maybe a touch more upside.

He's perfectly cromulent.

Don't forget a year and a half ago the Red Sox traded Rubby de la Rosa and Allen Webster for him, and both those guys were considered more talented than Miranda is.

I hope that the performance of Wade Miley will embiggen our playoff chances.

Archived