Umpires and Double Plays

The Wedge

The O's just got burned when the ump said Torres didn't touch second. In years past, they've called it out almost automatically as long as the ball is at second well ahead of the runner and the fielder is within a 2 mile radius of the bag. This isn't the first time it's happened to the O's this year, and I've seen it at least 3 other times in other games.

So, my question is, do you think the umpires were given an edict to stop making it so automatic at 2nd this year?

The O's just got burned when the ump said Torres didn't touch second. In years past, they've called it out almost automatically as long as the ball is at second well ahead of the runner and the fielder is within a 2 mile radius of the bag. This isn't the first time it's happened to the O's this year, and I've seen it at least 3 other times in other games.

So, my question is, do you think the umpires were given an edict to stop making it so automatic at 2nd this year?

This has driven me crazy for years. It almost seems like the ump will call it one way one time, then another way another time. "In The Neighborhood" is the worst "unwritten rule" in baseball. I hate it!!

All this leads to the play by Bynum this weekend where he very obviously slapped his foot against the 2B bag on a DP...and didn't get the out call until he did.

As long as all umpires call it the same way for all teams, I don't have a problem with stricter enforcement at 2B.

I think it's a great thing whenever they make the written rules stick, instead of relying on some de facto rule that the umpires made up for who knows what reason.

Some of the bigger controversies and most bizarre instances in baseball have come about because someone besides the rules committee decided they knew what was good for the game more than the rules committee. See Merkle's Boner, the Pine Tar Incident, and the fact that (literally) 10% of all the balks in American League history were called in 1988.

Archived