The Orioles would build a better team if they sold

GoldGlove21

I love the Orioles, but I do not think they are constructed to win a championship at the moment. The minor league system is very thin and even though it sends the wrong message for a first place team to trade resources, I wish they would have in this market. Zach Britton could easily have netted a similar or better package than what the Cubs gave the Yankees. Tillman would net a good haul given what Oakland got from LA for Rich Hill. I wish the Orioles would have let Davis walk for the draft pick and skipped out on Gallardo. Wieters would net a decent return and an even better return if the O's sent another team a couple million IMO.

After this year the Orioles could easily be looking to fill holes for Tillman, Wieters and Trumbo. Matt will not warrant another team giving up a #1 pick, but Tillman and Trumbo should. Heading into next season the O's will likely have who as their starters?

Gausman

Gallardo

Bundy

Miley

Throw in another #4/#5 type

I think the Orioles strengths is in the pen, but the value given up for relievers has been high. If I can deal a reliever and get a top position prospect I am doing it. The biggest issue we will have is going to be tied to extending Manny and that is much harder to do if you extend Tillman IMO.

I don't want to trade Manny, but I do not want to let him walk for a comp pick either. The Orioles could bring in enough talent to significantly lower payroll while stocking the farm system for the future. On top of Manny the O's have to lock up Schoop. The Yankees will deal a couple more veterans in the next year and will further restock their system. I know that I will get blasted for this type of post, but when this team doesn't hit the homerun they tend to just not hit.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love the Orioles, but I do not think they are constructed to win a championship at the moment. The minor league system is very thin and even though it sends the wrong message for a first place team to trade resources, I wish they would have in this market. Zach Britton could easily have netted a similar or better package than what the Cubs gave the Yankees. Tillman would net a good haul given what Oakland got from LA for Rich Hill. I wish the Orioles would have let Davis walk for the draft pick and skipped out on Gallardo. Wieters would net a decent return and an even better return if the O's sent another team a couple million IMO.

After this year the Orioles could easily be looking to fill holes for Tillman, Wieters and Trumbo. Matt will not warrant another team giving up a #1 pick, but Tillman and Trumbo should. Heading into next season the O's will likely have who as their starters?

Gausman

Gallardo

Bundy

Miley

I think the Orioles strengths is in the pen, but the value given up for relievers has been high. If I can deal a reliever and get a top position prospect I am doing it. The biggest issue we will have is going to be tied to extending Manny and that is much harder to do if you extend Tillman IMO.

I don't want to trade Manny, but I do not want to let him walk for a comp pick either. The Orioles could bring in enough talent to significantly lower payroll while stocking the farm system for the future. On top of Manny the O's have to lock up Schoop. The Yankees will deal a couple more veterans in the next year and will further restock their system. I know that I will get blasted for this type of post, but when this team doesn't hit the homerun they tend to just not hit.

First place team isn't going to sell, you can fantasize all you want.

It's funny that so many people want to sell and try to re-stock the farm system. Almost as if they are envious of teams like Philly and Atlanta who are doing just that.

It's really ironic, because the GMs in Philly and Atlanta are dreaming, hoping, and praying that they can put together the type of run that WE have had the past 5 years: one of the top 3 records in MLB, 2 to 3 playoff spots, at least one LCS, no losing seasons.

So while those guys are desparately trying to get where we are, and they may or may not ever make it, we seem to have a segment of fans who would rather be in their shoes right now!

Tillman is not a free agent until after next season.

Teams that are in first place are not sellers, even if they have flaws. I would have been on the sell train if the team were languishing around .500, but they're 14 games over and have a good shot at the playoffs. You don't abandon that type of chance.

Trading your best players for prospects when you are in first place on August 1st? You would be the laughing stock of baseball for decades to come. No would do that after you just got payroll up to 150 million. You are going to trade relatively cheap players for what rebuilding so you could one day be in this position again and then you would do what trade off all the good players on the team again?

The idea is to make it to the playoffs and win. Not to go on an never ending rebuild cycle.

I will never understand why people want to tank a winning team to acquire prospects that may or may not contribute in several years. It's even more confusing to me when you look at this franchise's record of developing prospects. If you give me the choice, I'm taking proven MLB talent every time unless the prospect is Machado-level.

If by "build a better team" you mean "build a better farm system" then I would agree.

You really think its a good idea to sell two seasons of likely playoff baseball for a better farm system? Farm systems are just as risky as anything in this game.

#remember_the_cavalry

This prospect love stuff is going too far. Sell while in first place?

I dont blame him with the market, but we're in first place. We arent selling.

But the fact will smith just got a big arm in bickford and a decent catcher in susac is crazy. Brach would get us atound that or more.

Gausman

Gallardo

Bundy

Miley

Wrong decade. I appreciate your passion.

I'm enjoying this run...I got very sick of "5 year plans" that lasted 10/14 years. The purpose of a strong farm system is to one day get your MLB club into the playoffs with a chance to win it all. We are there now. In two years, if this team is 5 under in July, then go ahead and start selling, but not now!

Yes, there are other paths that they could have taken but didn't. And the end result is that we've had five years of pretty good baseball to enjoy and we'll see what happens in the future.

And, again, there is no such thing as a playoff team that can't win a Championship because they're not built right.

I'm enjoying this run...I got very sick of "5 year plans" that lasted 10/14 years. The purpose of a strong farm system is to one day get your MLB club into the playoffs with a chance to win it all. We are there now. In two years, if this team is 5 under in July, then go ahead and start selling, but not now!

One good thing about planning to maybe possibly contend by 2015 if everything goes right is that it's extra epic when you make the playoffs in '12.

Archived