The Orioles would build a better team if they sold

GoldGlove21

Yes, there are other paths that they could have taken but didn't. And the end result is that we've had five years of pretty good baseball to enjoy and we'll see what happens in the future.

And, again, there is no such thing as a playoff team that can't win a Championship because they're not built right.

Say it again. It's because they are not hot at the right time. You make the playoffs, and you takes your chances.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont blame him with the market, but we're in first place. We arent selling.

But the fact will smith just got a big arm in bickford and a decent catcher in susac is crazy. Brach would get us atound that or more.

Brach is twice as good as Smith.

I will never understand why people want to tank a winning team to acquire prospects that may or may not contribute in several years. It's even more confusing to me when you look at this franchise's record of developing prospects. If you give me the choice, I'm taking proven MLB talent every time unless the prospect is Machado-level.

Toronto and Boston are the two best teams in our divison and I expect us to finish third unless we make a deal for a better starting pitcher to solidify the rotation. We have got by with a great home record and terrible road record. Only Oakland (363.2) has used its relievers more than the Orioles (358.1) in the AL. The bullpen ERA (3.06) is second only to the Dodgers (3.03). Our starters have thrown the fewest innings in the AL (564.2) and that have done that to 5.00 ERA, which is only ahead of Oakland (5.06).

The Orioles get to play the Rangers, White Sox, Athletics, Giants, Red Sox, Astros, Nationals, Yankees and Blue Jays this month and we have a bunch of home games in there. The issue is that we play the A's, Giants, Nationals and White Sox on the road. If the road woes continue we could really have some problems IMO. I think that August could be ugly. I just feel that you deal when the market is at its weakest.

I will never understand why people want to tank a winning team to acquire prospects that may or may not contribute in several years. It's even more confusing to me when you look at this franchise's record of developing prospects. If you give me the choice, I'm taking proven MLB talent every time unless the prospect is Machado-level.

Prospects can get you better proven talent. If the Orioles had a good system they could make an offer for Sale, get an ace and take their chances. Prospects and established players are both currency. I think the Orioles are going to be one of the laughing stocks of baseball in 2 years.

Prospects can get you better proven talent. If the Orioles had a good system they could make an offer for Sale, get an ace and take their chances. Prospects and established players are both currency. I think the Orioles are going to be one of the laughing stocks of baseball in 2 years.

Probably true. Then, there were plenty of folks that thought like you that said that the Padres were going to be the World Series winner last year and this.

The Orioles WERE one of baseballs laughingstocks for about 15. I'd take my chances that we are good enough the next two years to have another chance at a championship than sell and hope that what we sell for pans out.

Toronto and Boston are the two best teams in our divison and I expect us to finish third unless we make a deal for a better starting pitcher to solidify the rotation. We have got by with a great home record and terrible road record. Only Oakland (363.2) has used its relievers more than the Orioles (358.1) in the AL. The bullpen ERA (3.06) is second only to the Dodgers (3.03). Our starters have thrown the fewest innings in the AL (564.2) and that have done that to 5.00 ERA, which is only ahead of Oakland (5.06).

The Orioles get to play the Rangers, White Sox, Athletics, Giants, Red Sox, Astros, Nationals, Yankees and Blue Jays this month and we have a bunch of home games in there. The issue is that we play the A's, Giants, Nationals and White Sox on the road. If the road woes continue we could really have some problems IMO. I think that August could be ugly. I just feel that you deal when the market is at its weakest.

You focus a lot on the starters, which is fine, but (1) we've gotten to this point with the starting pitching we have, (2) we just added Miley, and (3) our team ERA is 7th in the league, and better than that of several other playoff contenders, including Boston, Detroit and Texas. The fact that our decent team ERA is due to the bullpen rather than the starters doesn't matter much; run prevention is run prevention.

I don't know if we'll finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd in our division, or whether we will beat out other teams for a wild card, but there's absolutely no way I'm throwing away a legit shot at the playoffs to chase a future that may or may not be better than the now.

You focus a lot on the starters, which is fine, but (1) we've gotten to this point with the starting pitching we have, (2) we just added Miley, and (3) our team ERA is 7th in the league, and better than that of several other playoff contenders, including Boston, Detroit and Texas. The fact that our decent team ERA is due to the bullpen rather than the starters doesn't matter much; run prevention is run prevention.

I don't know if we'll finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd in our division, or whether we will beat out other teams for a wild card, but there's absolutely no way I'm throwing away a legit shot at the playoffs to chase a future that may or may not be better than the now.

There is a cottage industry in trying to assess which good teams will fail and bad teams will rise. Any of that small sample data that they quote wont really divine anything.

Plus Miley pitches a lot of innnings. At least 193 innings for four years straight. I am sure that was part of his appeal. Teams like the Red Sox have had bad years recently. They traded players away for prospects. It is difficult to keep winning for long stretches the way the system is set-up. The Orioles have kept their main prospects while dealing away the lessor guys to stay competive.

I can't imagine any team playing like the Orioles actually dumping pieces for an imaginary future rebuild.

That said, the prices relief pitchers have gone for this midseason suggests to me we'll be able to get a lot for our core relief squad if 2017 turns disappointing.

Between Brach, Givens and Britton we could get a serious set of prospects to go along with Schoop/Manny/Gausman/Bundy/Davis

First place team isn't going to sell, you can fantasize all you want.

It's funny that so many people want to sell and try to re-stock the farm system. Almost as if they are envious of teams like Philly and Atlanta who are doing just that.

It's really ironic, because the GMs in Philly and Atlanta are dreaming, hoping, and praying that they can put together the type of run that WE have had the past 5 years: one of the top 3 records in MLB, 2 to 3 playoff spots, at least one LCS, no losing seasons.

So while those guys are desparately trying to get where we are, and they may or may not ever make it, we seem to have a segment of fans who would rather be in their shoes right now!

That's really amazing isn't it? I really don't understand some fans. Oh well. Their

beliefs are their opinions and they have a right to their opinions. I just disagree.

In 2 years (2018), we'll still have:

Gausmann

Bundy

Gallardo (if we want him, club option)

Wright/Wilson/Harvery/Sedlock ...

Jones

Schoop

Machado

Davis

Hardy (if we want him, club option)

O'Day

Givens

I wouldn't call that a laughingstock. Now if we aren't in contention in 2018, you sell Jones and Machado at the deadline. Hell if we aren't in contention next year, we can sell Brach, Britton and Tillman at the deadline. So we can replinish the farm in another year when we aren't in contention. The idea of doing it now is laughable. You'd ander the fans so much you'd kill the attendance for years to come as well.

If by "build a better team" you mean "build a better farm system" then I would agree.

You really think its a good idea to sell two seasons of likely playoff baseball for a better farm system? Farm systems are just as risky as anything in this game.

#remember_the_cavalry

I do not think the Orioles will be a playoff contender next year. Losing Trumbo and Wieters will hurt.

Archived